Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Speedmaster Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition (Arrivals)

1. fskywalker Jan 16, 2017

Our current tax is 11 1/2 %, so in my case out of the door price is about $7250 [emoji51]. Perhaps should switch delivery Boutique state to a relative on a cheaper tax state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Bond007 Jan 16, 2017

At least 10,000 of those views are mine, so that might skew the stats. ;)

Beefylugs, MTROIS, Cad290 and 3 others like this.
  3. Puma Jan 16, 2017

Hopefully I can arrange pickup at an OB in London. With today's exchangerate this would save me 800,00 EUR - which would make a nice trip to London with my miss, including flight and on top priceless "expensivewatchacceptancebonus"

4. jepoole Jan 16, 2017

Glad I'm not alone!! :) new here and I already love you guys!

I'm headed to Rome in late June. Honestly thought about asking Omega to deliver it to the Rome OB. My local one would hate me, but what an awesome part of the pickup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riviera Paradise and Bond007 like this.
  5. Bond007 Jan 16, 2017

I'm considering doing the same. I could get a flight and hotel for a couple nights, turn it into a little vacation and still save compared to buying it in central Europe (which is still considerably cheaper than US prices).

I remember reading a quote from Omega's CEO about their pricing strategies post-Brexit:

“Omega and Swatch Group are not opportunistic,” said Raynald Aeschlimann, Omega’s president and chief executive. “To increase sales would go against our domestic market. For British customers, nothing has changed and we want to keep momentum with those local customers. Raising prices would send a wrong signal.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/02/fashion/watches-brexit-sales.html

It looks like they're doing the same with their US pricing, maintaining prices despite significant currency fluctuations.

(All this assumes GBP/EUR will still be favorable half a year from now. The pound may continue to get pounded after a hard Brexit, but who knows? Apparently most experts expected the USD to drop following the surprise election result, but it's only gotten stronger so far. I just hope to get to enjoy wearing my Speedy Tuesday before the world comes to an end.) ::stirthepot::

Edited Jan 16, 2017
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 16, 2017

Douchebag is the word that comes to mind for me.

7. MTROIS Jan 16, 2017

Not sure if I would really say "ugly", but for me, it looks way too dressy and blue is simply not a color I associate with the speedy. The ck2998 lost all its "tool watch" credentials IMO.
    LOVE THE ST!!

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  8. g-boac Jan 16, 2017

Omega is honouring the brand and moving forward: witness the calibre 9300 Speedmasters, including the 44mm modern moonwatch chronograph, the CK2915 and 2998 9300 calibre tributes, and the ceramic Speedmasters.

At the same time, the classic unadulterated Speedmaster Professional remains in production as a third-generation link to the past. Omega's corporate plan, as stated by their CEO who developed it, is to transition entirely to advanced in-house coaxial movements, with one exception: the classic handwound movement in the Speedmaster Professional moonwatch. I would venture a guess that there is a good business case for this, as there are probably a non-trivial number of first-time buyers who are drawn to the Omega brand by the moon watch itself. I know I was - and eventually, I bought a total of three Planet Oceans after my first Speedmaster Professional purchase!

Back to point; as long as Omega is going through the effort to maintain one handwound movement in its lineup, principally for heritage reasons, I think it would make sense to go all the way, do it properly, and sell the very movement that went to the moon, and was flight-qualified by NASA for all manned space missions.

With respect to diluting the value of vintage pieces, I think we have strong counterexamples that this would NOT be the case: look at vintage Rolex. There are many, many examples of 15xx-calibre movements, which were in production from around 1957 through 1990!! Yet the price of a vintage Submariner 5513 can vary anywhere from $5000 for a 1984-1990 model, to $12,000 for a 1967 model, to $30,000+ for a 1966 model! The value is entirely in the dial. A pointy crown guard 1963 5512 Submariner that fetches $35k literally sold this summer for $6200 FROM A DEALER because the otherwise correct watch had a service dial. So the value is in the original dial, and barely influenced by the movement. My point here is that new production calibre 321 movements would not diminish the value of vintage Speedmasters: in fact, they would engance the value of both the vintage market and the Omega brand. It would provide a path to sustainability and maintainability for collectors of the vintage pieces, while showing all customers, even prospective first time buyers, that Omega is committed to the long-term serviceability of their timepiece. That if they bought an Omega watch new today, they can rest assured that they will be able to properly maintain their watch over the long term.

This, in adddition to truly honoring the heritage of the Speedmaster Professional moonwatch.

Pun, Beefylugs, jepoole and 5 others like this.
  9. blokk Jan 17, 2017

Just seen that the caseback has the modern logo instead of the old one [emoji848]

10. sgk Jan 17, 2017

Is there still time to convince Omega to deliver this with a bracelet as well? :whistling:

Pun and Bond007 like this.
  11. Bond007 Jan 17, 2017

Does anyone have the current price list for the Speedmaster bracelet by chance? (I'm most interested in the euro price but a currency comparison would likely be useful to many of us.)

I'd also love to get the bracelet to go with mine.

Nespo and Clancy Eccles like this.
  12. Riviera Paradise Jan 17, 2017

Edited Jan 17, 2017
    Bond007 and jepoole like this.
  13. Bond007 Jan 17, 2017

That means there's actually a limited edition of 2013 watches. Clearly this will heavily dilute the value on the secondary market. :whistling:

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 17, 2017

Post of the week nomination :thumbsup:

EatMan, Tritium, kkt and 4 others like this.
  15. jepoole Jan 17, 2017

Was surprised to see Robert-Jan wearing 0000/2012 as that is usually the museum piece. Thought I read he was taking 0013/2012, but perhaps that one isn't quite ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  16. Clancy Eccles Jan 17, 2017

Looking for same info

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

17. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 17, 2017

Is it my eyes or in all the pics I have seen of R-J's prototype, do the top and bottom pushers look to have different profiles? What I mean is that one looks more rounded off than the other, the top one. Has this been covered anywhere?

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 17, 2017

What finish is the watch :whistling: and what finish is the bracelet :whistling:

Linzer likes this.
  19. incabloc Jan 17, 2017

The 1171/633 is still available, it has brushed finish and looks the same like the vintage 1171. In Switzerland the 1171/633 is arround CHF 420.-

Bond007 likes this.
  20. lillatroll Jan 17, 2017

I bought a 1171/633 bracelet for my chronostop. I was actually thinking of selling it because I prefer the leather strap. Might try it first.