Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Speedmaster Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition (Arrivals)

1. Riviera Paradise Jan 16, 2017

The problem is that a grey market flipper could have several "mules" pretending to be individual customers with individual reservations. If each "mule" pays with their own cash or credit cards, I don't see how Omega is going to be able to avoid handing over the watch in that scenario, without being accused of discrimination.

As the reservations were sold out very quickly, I do think that might have limited the capacity of grey market flippers to orchestrate the multiple "mule" approach beyond their own internal staff.

Another factor is that I do think it is good indirect marketing for Omega when a LE doubles in price due to scarcity (eg. Snoopy)...so they may not be super concerned with grey market hoarding. Don't get me wrong, I do think they would prefer that the Speedy fanbase gets the watches, but I don't think they are going to lose any sleep or put in radical measures to counter some possible limited grey market hoarding for this LE.

munichblue likes this.
  2. Screwbacks Jan 16, 2017

there are 3 major parts in 321 which were omitted in 861 & 1861 as far as i can recall, one of which is unbreakable breguet hairspring.

as of now omega has not disclosed or no plan yet what they will issue for 60th anniversary of the speedmaster 1957-2017. i am betting my cb66 321 that they will surely revive the 321 in a more technologically advanced process of reproduction.

it will be unbeatable.

Edited Jan 16, 2017
  3. Pun Jan 16, 2017

Amen

4. 2nastie Jan 16, 2017

While I would love the thought of a new 321. I caution that thinking.

The demand of the Speedmaster is derived heavily because of its history (horological and NASA). Adding the 321 back even in a limited form can dilute the brand and the vintage watch itself.

You may think Omega doesn't care about the vintage market (supply and demand aspect and how it effect modern pieces); however, they are definitely keeping taps. I highly doubt with the rise in vintage pieces would they try to dilute that. The vintage 321s are going to continue rise and I think Omega needs a watch they can point to in terms of vintage success. They need to justify/persuade those buying the new 1861 and most modern pieces of theirs.

Can you imagine if the remade the Paul Newman... I don't think that would fair well with Rolex collectors.

The only way I can see a 321 made in limited quantity if they had whole unused movements from the 60s and they made a brand new watch out of it.

EDIT:

I think it is important for a brand to move forward while honouring the past and heritage. Not to literally remake the past.

Edited Jan 16, 2017
  5. Blacklidge Jan 16, 2017

Can anyone shine some light on why the pricing for the Speedy Tuesday watch seems to be all over the place?

$6500 = 6540.85 CHF = £5337.79
    5400 CHF = $5366.28 = £4406.78

6. Riviera Paradise Jan 16, 2017

Probably because each country / region has different taxation for sales of imported luxury goods.

dsio likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2017

This precisely, and some of the prices were quoted before tax some after tax, specifically the 5400 CHF quoted on Fratellowatches they specifically state is the pre-tax price and they mention an additional 8% in Switzerland on top of that for sales tax.

8. Blacklidge Jan 16, 2017

$6500 vs. 5400 CHF are both pre-tax pricing - so still a huge gap.

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 16, 2017

That isn't the only reason. The UK price of £4,100 includes 20% sales tax (VAT) which the others don't. It would be better to compare the prices before tax, in the case of the UK that is £3,416 which is $4,115 USD or 4,164F in CHF. I don't know what sales tax is included in the Swiss and US prices (possibly none) so it can be seen the UK price is actually very cheap in comparison. This makes a refreshing change from the past 30 years of price gouging in rip-off Britain.

10. omegasaso12 Jan 16, 2017

I am sure I saw price 5400 chf with 8% swiss tax included on omega site second day of reservation. On first day I saw only that price is undefinied.

If price in UK will be lower for 300-500eur, I will book a flight and colect a watch in UK.

11. 2nastie Jan 16, 2017

There is a difference in duty and import tax between countries before you factor in exchange rates. What's going to Omega Bienne is roughly the same amount of $$$. Very similar circumstance like automobiles. Certain cars cost more in various countries.

Canadian pricing is cheaper as well in comparison with other countries.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2017

The tax inclusive prices as they appear on the Omega website are:

5800 CHF, 6500 USD, 702000 JPY, 5600 EUR, 4100 GBP, 7300 CAD, 8400 SGD, 7825 AUD.

These are all shown as tax inclusive, given that the watches are being picked up from the Omega boutiques it'd be pretty hard for them to sell you a watch without actually charging tax on it.

Travelller likes this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2017

Also 52000 SEK/NOK, 41900 DKK, 366400 RUB, 17200 THB, 190800 TWD,
    43600 CNY and 82500000 IDR in case anyone was curious (all tax inclusive).

Travelller likes this.
  14. Blacklidge Jan 16, 2017

The city I live in has a 10% total sales tax - so out the door I'm at $7150. Seems like there is a good arbitrage opportunity in the UK. It would have been cheaper to buy a plane ticket and collect the watch in the UK.

15. 2nastie Jan 16, 2017

Perhaps contrary to what I said myself earlier, but when you mean tax inclusive, perhaps it factors import tax and duty, but for certain each individual will have to pay their respective country, province, or state tax (or whatever local body tax).

Every time I woke into my specific boutique the pricing matches directly between the sticker and the website pricing. Local taxes are exclusive.

16. Tintin Jan 16, 2017

I maybe mistaken so please correct me if I'm wrong. I remember reading somewhere that the Speedy Tuesday is priced exactly the same in local currency as the CK2998 when it launched last year.

The CK2998 was launch before Brexit and Trump election. After Brexit, the pound got really weak relative to Swiss Franc. After Trump, the dollar got stronger against Swiss Franc. So if the price is kept the same as CK2998 in GBP and USD, the Speedy Tuesday got cheaper if converting from Franc in the UK but got more expensive in the US. Omega should have adjusted the price based on the new exchange rate.

padders likes this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2017

Scammers (for lack of a better word) can have multiple reservations, at multiple OBs, under multiple emails and names.
    It is their nature to circumvent.

A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream during a raging flood and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The frog asks, “How do I know you won’t sting me?” The scorpion says, “Why would I do that? , If I do , I will die too.”
    The frog is satisfied, and they set out. But in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp “Why, why did you do that?”

Replies the scorpion: “I can't help it, It’s my nature…”

duc, alohatime, STANDY and 1 other person like this.
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2017

Yea I suspect the same thing, there are some other brands that have not re-evaluated their UK pricing since the pound dropped.

19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 16, 2017

This #SpeedyTuesday topic has been read/viewed almost 30000 times :thumbsup:

Puma, watchme, MTROIS and 6 others like this.
  20. bent_remy Jan 16, 2017

Thats brilliant