Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Speedmaster Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition (Arrivals)

1. blubarb Jan 14, 2017

Yeah, I have two in the family and they aren't going anywhere.

Riviera Paradise and oddboy like this.
  2. blubarb Jan 15, 2017

Yeah more pics.

IMG_4695.JPG
    IMG_4697.JPG
    IMG_4698.JPG

duc, Travelller, oddboy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Riviera Paradise Jan 15, 2017

Before SpeedyTuesday surged into the scene, I was probably going to buy a FOIS this year. No problem in getting them at my local OB BTW. I think they are beautiful and elegant but SpeedyTuesday leapfrogged in front. I can still see myself purchasing a FOIS down the road.

Clancy Eccles likes this.
  4. Clancy Eccles Jan 15, 2017

Yeah, I completed my FOIS order today. Heard they won't be in production much longer.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

5. petay993 Jan 15, 2017

It is indeed disappointing if that is the case in the US.

Here in the UK and Europe I believe, they were and still are quite a rare sight as physical stock in an OB display cabinet/window.

There are currently 50 for sale on Chrono 24 which seems a lot but to put that in to perspective there are 123 Daytona Ceramics and they are still churning those out at a fair lick and will be doing for many years to come!

The current average listed price on Chrono 24 for the CK2998 is £5,270 against a UK launch list of £4,100 and I achieved 5% discount luckily so value retention over here is not too shabby at all plus it is an absolute stunner on the wrist. I fully intend to keep mine though as a perfect dressy companion piece to the more rugged "Tuesday" I have reserved.

6. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jan 15, 2017

Although a few people here have posted the view that it's 'a lovely watch', I maintain that a good part of the reason why it's really a failure is because it's ugly! The dial layout is awkward - not enough care was taken in design in the handling of the colour contrast and the positioning of the sub-dials. As a result the dial has an unfortunate top-heavy look about it. As can be seen in the side by side collage I've done of the CK2998/Speedy Tuesday, the newly announced LE is much better aesthetically. The positional differences are small, but have a significant effect. Also, the ST benefits from the balancing presence of the more substantial, in-white, script: 'Omega Speedmaster PROFESSIONAL' and this provides a more pleasing 'form' to populate the gap in the upper, stark white, field of the dial. I'm very keen on the ST and especially pleased that it features an applied version of the logo.
    CK2998vSpeedyTuesday.jpg

Travelller, marcn and Davidt like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2017

Its a pretty watch the CK2998 no doubting that but what happened with the Snoopy immediately before it was that production was slow due to the need to create that special caseback to a sufficient level of quality, so prices became extreme due to them seeming unavailable or sold out when they had in reality only produced say a quarter of the total. The Rolex 116400GV Milguass had a similar situation in that the green crystal delayed production adding to its perceived exclusivity and rarity for a period as they slowly made it to market rather than all at once.

Following that, the CK2998 came about in 50% greater numbers than the Snoopy and the interest among speculators and those looking to make a quick buck was intense yet it had none of the production delays of the Snoopy and was made in sufficient numbers so it became the speculators themselves keeping them out of collectors hands to some extent initially as they experimented with pricing on the secondary market. Slowly it became apparent that people weren't willing to pay 2.5X MSRP when they could buy it at retail from an Omega Boutique and the dealers and speculators began unloading them in a race to the bottom online. This is why there's such an oversupply of them in NOS condition online compared to the Snoopy which despite its high value isn't anywhere near as abundant.

Its a great watch and well worth owning, it just isn't something that had the market characteristics that allowed people to make a fortune off cornering the market and scalping it and I'm really pleased with that aspect and happy to see some of these guys that bought them up get their fingers burned, they belong on people's wrists not stashed away in some amateur dealer's basement.

Travelller, blubarb, Lonestar and 7 others like this.
  8. petay993 Jan 15, 2017

Interesting read thanks for that.

The CK2998 certainly polarises opinion but to say it is ugly has to be considered highly subjective given some of the designs out there.

I wonder if the Speedy Tuesday will provoke similar black and white reactions given that it has been designed as an amalgam of supposedly desirable Speedy attributes. The only way Grey's will be able to stock up on these will be via flippers I guess and if demand exceeds supply excessively stimulating a significant premium over RRP, the temptation may be too much for some as was the case with the Silver Snoopy.

munichblue and Riviera Paradise like this.
  9. jpizzzle Jan 15, 2017

Based on the situation with the reservations and interest expressed, I would think that this model would hold resale value (not why I'm purchasing).

However, if omega releases something special in stainless at Basel or people back out of the reservations when it's time to pay, it could be possible to pickup at retail without a waitlist. It's hard to judge how well this will do since it cost nothing to reserve.

blubarb and Riviera Paradise like this.
  10. jepoole Jan 15, 2017

I tend to agree with you that the LE Speedy Tuesday will hold its value. I have already been told that there are collectors that would gladly take it off my hands.

It was a mistake for Omega to allow reservation with no money down. I'm not saying the deposits should not have been refundable if it was cancelled, but even a small amount of money down (~$1,000) would help find the serious buyers.

Side note... I feel bad for the Omega Boutiques. They were--and are clueless--about this piece, and it is not their fault. I had to tell a salesperson at my OB yesterday about the waiting list on the Omega website. They asked me to send them information when I get it. If Omega is wanting OB to be the face of their brand this is not helping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Davidt Jan 15, 2017

Come on. If an OB employee isn't checking the Omega website for themselves every couple of days (especially once this had started to filter through) an you need to show them, I'd say they aren't very good at their job.

Traveler, Beefylugs, Tintin and 9 others like this.
  12. jepoole Jan 15, 2017

You have to give them some slack for not knowing about the launch. That being said, I agree that they should know about the waitlist on the site, or at least been told by HQ.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  13. lillatroll Jan 15, 2017

It is difficult for anyone to know beforehand how popular a watch might be, Omega decided to market the watch in the way they did and it turns out it is a bigger hit than they expected. I would imagine that they did not expect the snoopy to be so popular, and perhaps the CK2998 to be more popular than it seems to be. It might be that something released at Basel will blow the Speedy Tuesday out of the water and everyone drops it like a lead ballon. Who Knows? I think the rule of thumb still applies...buy a watch because you love it and don t worry about what it might or might not be worth. And as Al says..there will be another LE along in a minute.

14. afenton Jan 15, 2017

Is it just me or is anyone else not a huge fan? Also, for the people that reserved the watch...congrats, but does that just give you the right to proceed to purchase the watch or is Omega going to do something else to close the sale?

15. jepoole Jan 15, 2017

I've learned that not every watch is for everyone, and that's ok!

If you have a reservation that gives you the right to purchase. I assume there will be a limit of time the OB will hold it before they start going down the waiting list.

16. blubarb Jan 15, 2017

It's not impossible that "early rising" speculators or dealers have reserved half or dozen or so, any VPN will allow for IP switching if they were limiting reservations based on that. It's not unreasonable to expect that scalpers will already have a hold of more than a reasonable number of these reservations. I also bet there is more than one collector who reserved, flipped their IP and put in a reservation for another, "just in case" :cautious:

17. fskywalker Jan 15, 2017

No IP restrictions as multiple reservations where made from my laptop (mine plus some additional ones, which I did for some friends [emoji4])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited Jan 15, 2017
  18. petay993 Jan 15, 2017

Oh dear, so actually it is possible that some individuals could be sitting on multiple reservations, if they got in early enough and were a professional dealer who just happened to be media savvy (not unusual) then theoretically that individual could reserve 50 plus pieces from the same ip address.

19. ar.parask13 Jan 15, 2017

Yes

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2017

Based on email addresses and ID verification.

Of course there are are always some that skirt the rules. Different emails, oh that must be another John Brown :rolleyes:

Riviera Paradise and blubarb like this.