Forums Latest Members

OMEGA Speedmaster Speedy Tuesday Limited Edition (Arrivals)

1. Fabollse Oct 22, 2017

Mmmmm..... speedy Alaska [emoji14]

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Oct 22, 2017

Yeah if you spend enough cash with them on other watches, they might find you one too... :whistling:

3. To the moon Oct 22, 2017

Can’t seem to find the emoji for Green eyed monster.... ;)

4. tyrantlizardrex Oct 22, 2017

You're mistaking distain for envy. :rolleyes:

5. neilfrancis Oct 22, 2017

It may be my internet connection, but in the Hodinkee video The Paul Newman Daytona's second hand appears to be skipping.

Bid accordingly, people.

6. To the moon Oct 22, 2017

Envy or discusted truth is I love the history. If money was no option in reality I would be playing in a far more lucrative commodity

7. Riviera Paradise Oct 22, 2017

Interesting story on the Alaska project with the US made case, to fulfill NASA subcontractor requirements.

The levels of irrationality on Paul Newman's Daytona are indeed incredible IMO...there is nothing spectacular about the watch in terms of horology, technology, design or finishing...I suppose it really shows how humans are easy susceptible to herding / peer pressure thinking. Buzz Aldrin's watch worn on Apollo 11 and first watch on the Moon...a complete hypothetical I know...but I would begin to understand to a certain degree the reverence, drooling and quasi religious worship.

But Paul Newman's watch?

OK admittedly a very cool dude, good actor (not the best IMO), reasonably good racing driver (hardly F1 level), great charity work...but will he be remembered in 100 yrs time? The Daytona initially was a failure, did not sell...and then suddenly just because Mr. Newman wears it becomes a legend of the watch industry, like totally awesome, like Cara almost fainted. LOL Well all luxury purchases are irrational...whoever bids millions on this watch, wear it in excellent health!

Getting back on topic, in terms of emotional value as part of our watch purchasing experience, I have noticed that there is a growing negative sentiment for the Speedy Tuesday watch, because of the delays. Again this amazes me...is the watch in any way an inferior product per se because of a 3-4 month delay in delivery? I suppose the good news around that "negative trend" is that many are now flipping at lower markups...so those that missed out on the initial reservation but truly appreciate the watch for having an excellent, interesting case and dial design, well those humble folks will now have a fighting chance. I do understand the frustration with the delays...but the level of negativity is a bit OTT IMO, when directed at the watch itself, which I still believe is stunning. Especially for a reservation that required no deposit.

Edited Oct 22, 2017
    davy26, David B, lando and 5 others like this.
  8. David B Oct 23, 2017

Took delivery of #1009 from the 5th Ave boutique in NYC. Don't think my lume is as great as in the advertisement materials, but fit and finish everywhere else is spot on!

Riviera Paradise and fskywalker like this.
  9. Watchmutt Oct 24, 2017

Why does there seem to be so many out there for sale by dealers, but it still seems like many people are still waiting for theirs? I did a quick search of Chrono24 and counted 28, with just a few private sellers.

To the moon likes this.
  10. To the moon Oct 24, 2017

I would love to know the final % of this piece of which original buyers kept, and forward to Omega HQ. I’ve never seen so many individual pieces on the grey market so quickly after release
    This just proves that selling this way only favours a few. I,e people trying to make a quick buck.
    It’s not even that this piece dissatisfied as it’s such a beautiful speedy!!

11. Smspectre Oct 24, 2017

It was exactly the same with the snoopy. I remember seeing 30 for sale at one point and prices did drop back down, give it a few month for things to settle and the watches to end up in the correct hands.
    Then demand will be higher than supply.

Watchmutt and To the moon like this.
  12. BenjaminT Oct 24, 2017

Isn't the watch industry constantly telling, that its value is in the customer experience and not so much in the bare metal parts of its products?
    Wasn't the point to get some fresh meet into the Omega Boutiques to whelm them with the OB experience?
    If those awkwardly communicated serial delays are the Omega Experience they wanted to persuade the Speedy community of modern Omega watches with ... this is a disaster.

13. tyrantlizardrex Oct 24, 2017

An awful lot of dealers sell consigned watches and then take a cut, and if you're really, really bored and dig through, it seems to be the same dealers/sellers, trying to sell the same units across multiple platforms.

Anecdotally, watches listed at £6500/$8,500/€8,500 by private sellers on forums seem to sell almost immediately.

14. boltman Oct 24, 2017

Yesssss! #19 has arrived

15. Riviera Paradise Oct 24, 2017

Fully agree that this is a significant PR and marketing screw-up by Omega the company.

I was just trying to separate to some extent our admiration of the product (the ST watch) from the handling of the delivery process.

I know that is a bit like going to a restaurant with the most delicious food but having to deal with a rude waiter and delays in getting food to your table, but with a watch, it will stay with you longer as a recurring experience, so the delivery part of the ST will eventually be a distant memory:)

Hope those on the OF still eagerly awaiting their "not-so-Speedy Tuesday" will soon collect and once united with their cherished time piece put the annoying wait experience behind them:)

To the moon likes this.
  16. Fabollse Oct 24, 2017

IMG_2625.JPG

Got her in July now taking her home from the vault [emoji41]

Travelller, duc and Riviera Paradise like this.
  17. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Oct 24, 2017

E-mail/call today to say mine (mid 1700s) in UK and ready for collection. I have not been at all bothered by the delay and it's possibly added to my enjoyment as it reminds me of being a kid in the 50s and having to wait for things at a time when instant gratification was not even a concept!

drhex, BenBagbag, Mtnmansa and 9 others like this.
  18. To the moon Oct 24, 2017

Mumma always said... if something is worth having... it’s worth waiting for!
    The only person who is really going to be affected by the wait is someone who wanted to flip straight away at the peak price :(.
    Now they will just have to hold on to it for a couple of years and it will be worth even more :whistling:

19. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Oct 24, 2017

Your Mumma was right and I think you have something too about the flippers.

I even like the symmetry: Speedy by name, tardy by delivery.

20. To the moon Oct 24, 2017

TBH, It only seem to touch a nerve on the way this piece was sold/released, I just don’t agree with ordering online after building relationships with ADs over the years and then missing out on a piece that really is quite stunning. Luckily I managed to be reunited with one but I’m sure there are like minded collectors in a similar position that wasn’t quite so fortunate. Just to miss out to people less passionate about the piece but more a slave to the green

Watchmutt likes this.