Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster reduced or Hamilton intra-matic

1. RubenDhae Jul 17, 2020

Hello

Forgive me if this is the wrong subforum, but i'm considering saving for a nice automatic chronograph watch.
    Two watches appeal to me very much, but I'm hoping some experts can advise me.

I have a budget of 1500 eur in mind, allowing me to buy either a Speedmaster Reduced or a Hamilton intra-matic.
    Both seem very beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are there pros/cons to either of the watches? Why should I choose one over the other? Anyone who, perhaps, has those two watches? Or would one advise another watch for the price?

I realise that this a very broad topic, and meight be biased towards the Omaga since... well this is Omega Forums and not Hamilton Forums, but any insghts are very welcomed.

Best
    Ruben

2. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 17, 2020

You’ll find that despite this being “Omega Forums” there is Vast diversity and love for watches.

For me, based purely on looks, I would go with the Hamilton. Those colors looks really good. I’ve never been a fan of the reduced’s aesthetics. The Hammy has the same sub dial spacing but I think with the addition of the date, it feels more balanced and less cluttered *. Since the reduced has a smaller dial surface area it’s always felt cluttered to me. I also just really like how the Hamilton looks.

edited to add * Expanding on the cluttered: The reduced is just black and white and the sub dials are pushed to the edge of the dial. It makes everything feel like it runs together. Also, the numbers in the bezel are so small making it difficult to read. The Hamilton, in comparison, feels more simple, open, and aesthetically pleasing.

thelinendial and RubenDhae like this.
  3. SkunkPrince Jul 17, 2020

You'd win with either, so whichever makes you happier. There is no wrong choice.

4. RubenDhae Jul 17, 2020

Thank you for your reply. It's for sure a great argument.
    I find, however, that there are other versions of the Reduced that "seem" less cluttered, thanks to the multiple colours used, instead of just being all black. Example:[​IMG]

thelinendial and Stripey like this.
  5. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 17, 2020

There are definitely a lot of color ways to choose with the reduced. Each brings their own price point though and might exceed your budget and/or be quite challenging to find.

Ultimately as @SkunkPrince has said, you can’t go wrong. It’s whatever you like the most. Everyone here can tell you which we like and which we don’t but we won’t be the ones wearing it.

6. RubenDhae Jul 17, 2020

Thank you skunk. I know that it's subjective, but is Omega regarded as better, more known, or superior to Hamilton? I'm learning about watches (i'm still new) and I've read much about Omega's, the history of Omega and such, but not much about Hamilton.

7. JwRosenthal Jul 17, 2020

The Hammy is a stunner, but it’s big. It was one of the most hotly awaited re-issues and they screwed the pooch by going to 42mm on it...that extra 2-3mm can make or break a watch. If you like large watches then try Hammy is a no-brainer as they can be picked up for under $1.3k on the used market....but there’s a reason for that. The white panda they got right at 40mm, they learned from their mistake

Nupero, thelinendial and RubenDhae like this.
  8. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 17, 2020

They have both been around for a VERY long time. They both have a deep and rich history. They are both currently owned by Swatch. As companies they both make in house movements (the speedy reduced however does not use a in house movement. It’s an off the shelf ETA, modular, and very modified by Omega. I don’t know about this specific Hamilton’s movement). Which company is better? That’s your choice ;)

Stripey and RubenDhae like this.
  9. RubenDhae Jul 17, 2020

From what I gathered from info such as reviews, the Intra-Matic chrono i'm looking at seems to be the 40mm itiration, so that's good (y)

10. JwRosenthal Jul 17, 2020

That would be the white one. The blue was only done in 42 as far as I have seen...unless they re-issued the re-issue and finally got it right! Gonna have to look into that!

thelinendial likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal Jul 17, 2020

Holy crap- they did it!!!

B3E92CC9-0558-4965-B216-455B580F8FF5.png
    I lost interest after they botched the initial LE with the size and never saw they re-did it smaller. Now I’m gonna have to look for one.

12. RubenDhae Jul 17, 2020

You're welcome. lol

thelinendial and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. JwRosenthal Jul 17, 2020

To answer you question, they are totally different watches and one is not better than the other. The reduced had some issues on the earlier runs and there are threads on that with entire movements being replaced because of it.
    I personally find the Hammy a far more attractive watch (and I own an SMP) and the speedy a more subdued design.

thelinendial likes this.
  14. MRC Jul 17, 2020

Hamilton's website (UK pricing) lists both the white and blue/white panda dials for the intramatic as 40mm.

I have an all black Reduced and the Intramatic's grandfather in a Chrono-matic all blue. Love 'em both. You have got to try them on. It'll be hard to find a 25/30 old Reduced you could try on, but depending where you live you might find someone here to help. Hmmm, I like that panda, must see where I can find a better price than £1950 though.

thelinendial and JwRosenthal like this.
  15. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 17, 2020

That would settle it for me. I like the Reduced size as in theory it’s the perfect size for a plethora of wrists. I just think the proportions visually are all wrong. The Hamilton is 1mm bigger and, to me, looks WAY better.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  16. MRC Jul 17, 2020

Hamilton H31 is based on ETA/Valjoux 7753

thelinendial and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  17. JwRosenthal Jul 17, 2020

Bullet proof

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  18. Redwes25 Jul 17, 2020

Never really liked the crown/pushers on the reduced since they are not even. It just makes it feel off to me.

19. JwRosenthal Jul 17, 2020

It’s the subdials crushing into the second track and the empty space around the center which throws off the dial- it just doesn’t look as balanced as the SMP. Most people can’t put their finger on what looks off, but I think it’s that.
    3A0750CA-595F-40EB-9DC8-AB035E5F495B.jpeg
    The Hammy has perfect balance IMO and the date at 6 doesn’t screw it up like a date at 4 does in some models.
    83C6EDD1-F5AF-4D8A-A4E6-83B890C83F07.jpeg

thelinendial and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  20. MRC Jul 17, 2020

One more consideration, buying a used watch you need to include the cost of a service, which is going to be 300-500 Euros depending on who you go to. Or 750 Euros if you give it to Omega.