Forums Latest Members
  1. skipper Mar 28, 2013

Hi, I recently included this question re no. 6 end pieces in my intro post. With hindsight, it probably would have been better to split the posts, as there may well be people who can comment further on the subject, but might not even get to see it as they're not interested in reading a first post from a noob!!!

Thanks for the responses thus far. I think I'm erring towards this line of thought too, i.e. just slightly later versions of the No. 6's fitted to the '64 bracelet. If anyone else can add any more to the debate, I'd be very grateful.

Sitting in front of me right now is a one owner 7912 (4 64) with no. 6 end pieces - I'll call these the 64's from now on. Next to it is the watch it came on, a 105.003-64. Alongside these is the 105.003-65, with its 1035 (1 67) band and no. 6 end pieces - I'll call these end pieces the 67's.

Upon closer examination (under a 10 x loupe), there are a couple of (very) small differences and one slightly more obvious one. The obvious one first, on the inside curvature of the 64's there are two slightly raised straight lines about 10mm apart, that simply look like the reverse side of the pressing that you can see when viewing the EP's from above, i.e. where the brushed central part of the EP blends into the two polished outer sections.

The 67's by contrast, do not have the raised lines on the inside curvature, though there are the (smaller) indentations on the top of the EP, between the brushed centre section and the polished outer sections.

The profile of the rounded 'corner' and the right angle corner section immediately below it (right next to the no. 6) are also very slightly different.

So, my question is, did the fine detail design of the no. 6 end piece vary according to which band they were put with, or perhaps change slightly over the years production, or could there have been marginal differences based on different suppliers etc? Or... is somebody already producing very good replicas? Both the 64 & 67 EP's measure approx 18.75mm, so designed for 19mm lugs, and both sets look absolutely right with their corresponding bands i.e. the 7912 and the 1035. Fit around the 19mm straight lug cases is also very good. Here are some pics to illustrate the point, the 64's first and then the 67's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 28, 2013

As already was said in the other thread, the most likely is, that the different end links have been produced in different factories, as it is very common in that time. Let us take an example like the early 2998 from this period (my most beloved subject so fare ::love::).. I have seen at least 4 different versions of the dial, there are different sub versions of the two general versions of the dauphin hands, there are at least two different crowns, two different central second hands and two different letter styles for the base1000 bezel, although always a 2998-1 or 2998-2. So why not different 6 end links on the 7077? I think it makes not much sense to search a deeper purpose here.... Obviously Omega's design specifications for the producers of these parts were not too precise.

watchyouwant likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 28, 2013

Bands and end links are notorious for having different manufacturers and production variations.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 28, 2013

Agreed, we are beating a dead horse here - asked and answered in that previous thread.

5. skipper Mar 29, 2013

Hardly beating a dead horse... simply inquiring about other possible scenario's that may not have been considered by those (few) responders to the original thread, i.e. certain versions of no.6 were shipped with particular semi expandable bracelets, or it was based on year produced etc etc? I already agreed with the 'different supplier' theory, just always interested to learn more about my vintage Omega's, and thought this was the best place to ask?

Base1000 - thanks for that bit of info, I never knew that about the 2998 dials and hands. Vintage Omega is still a steep learning curve for me, my vintage expertise thus far lies with old Subs like the 5513/1680 etc, where there are also many 'versions' of what at first appear to be the same dial. All adds to the enjoyment of the hobby IMO.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 29, 2013

It's interesting how the value and interest in these endpieces has climbed exponentially in the past few years - I've spoken to some other long time collectors about this and been told that it wasn't that long ago when these endpieces were freely given away between friends! These stretch bracelets were likewise available back then for cheap. I suppose they are tracking the large rise in prices of vintage omegas in general.

7. Dash1 Mar 29, 2013

I think the rise in value is very likely due to the flimsy nature of the stretch link bracelets meaning not so many good ones have survived. End links are even rarer survivors, maybe because they are easily lost once the bracelet is removed or when the pin on the watch breaks. As said, these where not highly prized items and it's heartbreaking to imagine how many have simply been chucked in the bin.

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2013

Suddenly there are a lot of vintage Speedmaster bracelets on the market too. eBay has quite a few up at the minute.

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 29, 2013

I always thought they were nice to have but have been surprised by the steep prices they command nowadays. I actually don't have an idea of how many pairs I have total including the ones I have mounted on watches - I just know I have 3 #6 endlinks in my parts box at this time with 2 of them soon to be properly mounted with a 7077 bracelet in one of my watches. And Ash is right - I have several of these stretch bracelets in my parts box without the proper endlinks so fewer of the correct endlinks survived intact.

10. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 29, 2013

yes, the last few auctions with #6 endlinks came to amazing results. But with this kind of items it can easily be a market bubble. The market in items like crowns, endlinks and boxes is not as stable as it is with the main items (complete watches, dials, hands, casebacks, bezels). I remember moments when early Speedy crowns went for more than 500 USD and now they come up and nobody is even really interested.

To me, 1k EUR for a pair of #6 end links is not worth to be payed. I prefer to invest that amount rather in a rare bezel, a nice set of hands. But maybe it is only, because I think a vintage Speedy looks and wears better on leather strap :)

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 29, 2013

Yes fully agree - I think the prices being paid for the $6 endlinks are outrageous at this time. Agreed too that early bezels, hands and dials are better expenditures.

12. HeuerLoon Apr 3, 2015

Is there alternative to No.6 end pieces. I have a 7912 bracelet which is fitted to my 105.012. I've fitted some generic non branded end pieces but I'd like to fit Omega links which I'm happy to modify to work with my Speedy.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 3, 2015

14. HeuerLoon Apr 3, 2015

Perfect, thanks :thumbsup: