Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Mark IV strange replacement crystal?

1. hitrandrei Jan 10, 2019

Hello everyone I bought this crystal from ebay (mahan.tehrani) and it is not the same as the original, it came in a plastic bag. I have contacted other sellers that sell the crystal in original omega pack and they dont know the difference.

Maybe someone had the same problem ore know more information about replacement crystal for mark IV. I want it to be as close to the original as possible. You can see on the picture that the replacement crystal i bought have thicker numbers and bigger tachymeter text.

I know for sure that i need the TN5237 crystal but how does it look like?
    IMG_6717.JPG

2. Pepe Lucas Jan 10, 2019

I bought one a while back from Otto Frei and came on an Omega package. I don’t know if they are still selling them but you can call them. Also, while I was researching for the crystal I saw that the same crystal is used on a couple of references. 176.009 Mark IV and 176.0012 Mark 4.5. Their cases are the same size but some times the sellers charge more when they try to sell it to Mark IV owners.

3. Pepe Lucas Jan 10, 2019

I own both references

4. Pepe Lucas Jan 11, 2019

image.jpg image.jpg

5. hitrandrei Jan 16, 2019

Ok Thanks! where did you bought the crystal? Did it come in sealed omega pack TN5237?

6. Pepe Lucas Jan 16, 2019

I got one from Ofrei. They have an Omega page where they sell parts but it was a long time ago and I don’t think they sell it any more but you can call them and ask . I sended the watches also to Omega for restoration and the new crystal was included in the service price.

7. hitrandrei Jan 17, 2019

Got this answer from ofrei.

Our website contains all the Omega items we can still supply. You might try looking when you have found the case number inside the case . As stated on the site we have no information by model name or year, and pictures are of no help at all. Details on site for you benefit.

At the end of 2015, the Swatch Group which owns Omega stopped all distributions worldwide to independent watch parts suppliers and watch repair material persons. Since 1930 we have been able to get Omega parts. Now after 85 years we are no longer able to get more Omega parts.

Both the justice department and the federal trade commission would also be interested in hearing your complaints.
    When contacting the Justice Department refer to Civil action 96-170 and your rights to free trade and consumer rights to parts.

The watch companies restrictive trade practices results in reduced local business income and employment across the USA and around the world. Consumers, no longer can decide who works on their watches and choose what work to have done on their watch.

The results are higher cost for the watch owners and reduced income and jobs for local USA workers, while the bulk of the money leaves the USA and ends up in Switzerland.

www.ofrei.com

8. hitrandrei Jan 17, 2019

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 17, 2019

It’s correct. Just differences in the batches. AFAIK it’s not been tracked the way Pro bezels have. If you want an exact one you need to examine each one you buy from old stock.

10. Pepe Lucas Jan 17, 2019

11. hitrandrei Jan 22, 2019

Thanks i will continue searching for the right one, Crystal.

Best

12. Pepe Lucas Feb 5, 2019

I was just browsing otto frei and saw that they have the crystal on their Omega page. Just put the reference number on the search bar. I think is 176.0009. They are charging $148.00 for it, I’m guessing because they are not that common anymore.

13. hitrandrei Feb 7, 2019

Thanks!

14. hitrandrei Feb 7, 2019