Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster LE prices - up or down?

1. AlphaToOmega Nov 14, 2020

What are your views on where market prices will go in the next 12 months on 2nd hand Speedmaster LE watches given the recent vaccine news? Will it give confidence and drive demand or will it encourage people to sell, cash out, and invest in other areas (e.g. equities)? Or, will the status quo prevail?

2. zwjk Nov 14, 2020

Perhaps your question is too broad... there are so many LEs; you need to narrow down to specific LEs for some proper speculation.

3. AlphaToOmega Nov 14, 2020

Fair point. What about the Tokyo 2020 editions? Seeing as they were pretty much in the eye of the storm.

4. AlphaToOmega Nov 14, 2020

Or perhaps a better question is, which LE watches do you think will benefit from the recent news?

5. Scooterino36 Nov 14, 2020

Why would certain LE Speedmasters “benefit” due to vaccine news and others wouldn’t? What needle are you trying to thread here?

befobe, Zapatta and cristos71 like this.
  6. AlphaToOmega Nov 14, 2020

None. Just thinking aloud and future gazing. Trying to establish what will happen to the market as confidence begins to return, inflation inevitably begins to increase, some equities are historically cheap, property usage transfer etc etc.

7. AlphaToOmega Nov 14, 2020

I just sense the world is at a pivotal pont in history and am intrigued as to how the watch market will play out.

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 14, 2020

If anyone here actually knew, they sure as heck wouldn’t tell. Like the Pfizer-sChmuckEO who dumped most of his stocks the day of the ‘big’ announcement...he didn’t tell anyone. Best advice I have is to get yourself one of these and practice reading it (and naturally please tell us what it says!)...

F6EAC4E2-9BB1-4029-9403-7900BBABC702.jpeg

If it’s speculation you want : I speculate business as usual...no change.

watch3s, speedypants, befobe and 2 others like this.
  9. queriver Nov 14, 2020

In terms of price movement next year, these could well march to their own tune quite separate to most other LEs depending whether or not the Games proceed. Don't ask me whether the prices will go up or down if the Games proceed or get abandoned, my crystal ball is in hospital with COVID19.

10. Dedlock Nov 14, 2020

Vaccine will not have an impact or it might reduce prices,

sales and demand have been through the roof during COVID-19 , this has been evidenced via articles on this forum a number of times and furthmore prices have only climbed during the year on all major luxury watch brands.

Main reason being
    1) clients in lockdown have spent income saved from travel and other yearly excursions on luxury goods.
    2) Direct to consumer online sales
    3) limited stock due to lockdown and a lack of materials for spare parts.

so if anything if things reach a new level of normal prices should go down or remain steady.

As for SPeedmasters LE's, most if not all have gained in price except for Apollo 17 40th, and with Omega shifting its strategy from LE to LP, prices should remain steady as to where they are at. furthermore, if rumors prove to be true and we see the discontinuation of the 1861 in 2021, the older models should increase in price.

Edited Nov 14, 2020
    WatchCor and AlphaToOmega like this.
  11. AlphaToOmega Nov 14, 2020

In every walk of life/profession individuals have opinions about the future. Global debt is the highest it has ever been and we may/may not have averted disaster.
    Surely someone, who has more knowledge on the subject than me, actually has an interesting opinion.

12. AlphaToOmega Nov 14, 2020

Thank you for your considered opinion. Very interesting.

13. Dedlock Nov 14, 2020

I added my thoughts on SPeedmasters LE in my original reply. these are just my views so take with a grain of salt but hopefully it give you some insight.

AlphaToOmega likes this.
  14. AlphaToOmega Nov 14, 2020

Our posts crossed over in cyber space. You make some interesting points.

15. AlphaToOmega Nov 14, 2020

The Games will happen. The question now is how many supporters will be allowed into the stadium. My sense is that the watches will be offloaded by the Japanese owners but in the coming years demand will gradually rise especially for the Panda and Rising Sun.

16. Bp1000 Nov 14, 2020

As much as the LEs get stick they live in their own little bubble, attracting specific types of buyers which will still buy and trade regardless of other conditions.

afaik the LEs find their place within 6 months of dealer lists selling out and they stick around that. A few exceptions like the snoopy for some reason went beserk a year ago.

to be honest I thought the watch market would deflate a bit with this awful year of restrictions. Funnily it rallied in some cases.

If you are approaching this for gains you should perhaps look at other brands.

Bottom line, not much to see here. Business as usual. I don’t see that changing.

AlphaToOmega likes this.
  17. asrnj77 Nov 14, 2020

I’ll play the game...although a numbered edition and not LE, I believe the FOIS is going to get an uptick as the rumor mill is at full frenzy that it’s now discontinued. We won’t see Rolex craziness but I’m seeing the needle pointing up

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 14, 2020

Here is a question.

Name a LE that’s gone down in the last 12 months.

19. AlphaToOmega Nov 14, 2020

20. AlphaToOmega Nov 14, 2020

Thanks for your thoughts. Not necessarily in it for gains, just have a serious dislike for depreciating assets.