Forums Latest Members

Crown up or down bedside table

1. Vagante Nov 19, 2018

I remember this being discussed previously but I cannot find the thread. When you put your watch on a bedside table, do you put it in Crown up or down and why? I was in an Omega dealer last week and I tried on a watch and put it crown down on the pad. A manager walked by frowned and turned it the other way.

2. Vitezi Nov 19, 2018

3. Wryfox Nov 19, 2018

I think this "manager" was just being pedantic. There isn't any special way to lay them. Theoretically though, plunking it down(vs placing) on the crown is not good form. It IS the critical feature for managing the watch. IF you had to choose a side to lay it down, it would be the on the opposite side(case side). I always lay my watches flat, so y'all can argue about that if you like....:p

MikiJ, many and Waltesefalcon like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 19, 2018

I have always laid watches down crown up.

Hnansen likes this.
  5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Nov 19, 2018

Each watch will be different in its timekeeping depending on the position. I suppose the manager was just protecting the crown from damage.

Foo2rama and gostang9 like this.
  6. gostang9 Nov 19, 2018

@Archer has explained that timing of a watch should be done in multiple positions and there will often be a different error in each. If the watch runs slow or fast in the normal worn position (example: loses 4 seconds while on the wrist in a 14 hour day) you would put it in the position where the closest to opposite would happen (example: lay it crown down it that is where it gains the most, say 2 seconds per 7 hour night). This way the night position can somewhat offset the gain/loss during the day.

Dan S and Jwit like this.
  7. Waltesefalcon Nov 20, 2018

I tend to put mine into their box at night. Even if I don't put a watch away I lay it down dial up.

MikiJ likes this.
  8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Nov 20, 2018

I have always laid my daily beater, always an automatic movement, face up on my bedside table. No problems.