Omega Speedmaster help please

Hi guys, I have always wanted a Speedmaster but haven't quite had the funds to get one. I saw this one on an online auction site which is guided at a reasonable price. I was wondering if it looks legit? Is the dial original or a replacement dial? I don't really know much about Speedmasters so any help offered is greatly appreciated.

It looks a bit rough around the lugs like it has been over polished or something. Would you agree?

Thanks

I saw this one on an online auction site which is guided at a reasonable price.
Guidance price or indications say very little...

Welcome. The one you show above looks to be from the late 70s... tough to tell but the lume looks a little washed out? I personally prefer the more yellow lume rather than whitish or green (which can be common in the early to late 70s Speedmasters). It would definitely need a service. Do you have movement photos?

Are you in the United States? There are several 3590.50 Speedmasters for sale out there for around $4,000 that make fantastic first Speedmasters. These are from the early 90s, have yellowed tritium lume, and are typically in great condition. Check out the “lunaroyster” dealer site for three nice looking examples… others out there if you hunt around.
Edited:

Thank you both for the replies. I will read through the Speedmaster 101 information later. It looks like a real minefield though, I'm beginning to think a vintage piece may not be the way to go as its fraught with danger.

Thank you both for the replies. I will read through the Speedmaster 101 information later. It looks like a real minefield though, I'm beginning to think a vintage piece may not be the way to go as its fraught with danger.

That's the beauty of the 3590.50 Speedmasters from the early 90s - they tend to be in very good condition and are relatively new, much less "risk" as compared to venturing into the deeper vintage waters.

That's the beauty of the 3590.50 Speedmasters from the early 90s - they tend to be in very good condition and are relatively new, much less "risk" as compared to venturing into the deeper vintage waters.
There are often very nice Speedy here on the sales pages, these are often very nice.
Why not look at them?

Inexpensive, Quality, Quickly: Choose 2
Be patient & absorb the hive intelligence here, unless you've got more money than sense.

you can get new 2024 Hesalite 3861 Speedmaster on the Watches for Sale thread here from good seller for $5450 with warranty box papers etc. and enjoy the watch without worry, if that appeals to you. You can always go into vintage as you learn more and get the itch.
No relation to the sales listing, just want you to know whats out there.

The one you show above looks to be from the late 70s... tough to tell but the lume looks a little washed out? I personally prefer the more yellow lume rather than whitish or green (which can be common in the early to late 70s Speedmasters). It would definitely need a service.
It looks washed out in part because of the photos but also because it’s a service dial. It also has service hands and pushers as well. If the OP wants a vintage or just clean/original Speedmaster, I wouldn’t look any further into this one.

As above, take guide prices with a pinch of salt. Any Speedmaster auction with an online presence will 99 times out of a hundred funds it value. Very, very rare to find one significantly under market unless it has issues.

As a newbie you’re much more likely to buy a dog if you hunting for a bargain as unless you get lucky, there’s generally a reason it’s cheap. Much better to simply pay market value from a reliable seller for a reference you can afford.

It looks washed out in part because of the photos but also because it’s a service dial. It also has service hands and pushers as well. If the OP wants a vintage or just clean/original Speedmaster, I wouldn’t look any further into this one.

Ah! I missed the no "T Swiss T"