Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. MCG555 May 18, 2019

Well comon: Co-ax, Silicium, free-sprung, anti-magnetism. It is without risk easily believable. The world is round - not flat... ;)

Edited May 18, 2019
  2. theblotted May 18, 2019

Just got word from Omega Boutique in Beverly Hills - the bracelet will be available, maybe by EOY.

rainking and Blacklidge like this.
  3. MCG555 May 18, 2019

I think you did not get what Evitzee said! :whistling:

4. MTROIS May 18, 2019

Hadn't chimed in until now as I wanted to "digest" this release first. Of course, I am also aware that I should probably (and will) hold off any final judgment on yes / no until I can actually see the "Buzz' Moon" IRL.

Having said that, I have been really underwhelmed so far. The biggest disappointment BY FAR is the running second sub dial pic!!! ::rant:

The foot print of Aldrin would have been a much better fit for that size (and also based on achievable resolution of the engraving), so that the photo of Buzz coming down the ladder could have been put on the case back. There, they would have had so many more chances of doing something that can be even seen and appreciated instead.

Otherwise, IF they really wanted to keep the footprint on the case back (which I love BTW), then they should have come up with something else for the dial. :whipped:

Also, as much as I knew that it was a lloooooonnnnnngggggggggg shot, I was certainly hoping that Omega and NASA could have worked something special to include some real MoonDust on the case back..... :unsure:

Anyhow, as stated above, I will most likely wait until I can see this IRL, but still quite disappointed for now. :(

Pun and MCG555 like this.
  5. taz101 May 18, 2019

But why put that on this 50th Anniv thread?

6. taz101 May 18, 2019

I think the reason they didnt use the footprint is because a footprint is small anyway then sticking it in that tiny window it would have just looked like a t*rd

7. Duckie May 18, 2019

I mostly accept both sides of the arguments and try to keep an open mind to all possibilities.
    As someone who appreciates genuine advancements, the whole tech package of the new 3861 Co-axial is compelling.
    But it's also conceivable that sourcing independent servicing will become more problematic and by extension more expensive.
    I only have one early Co-axial which has just returned from an independent service and the result was more than I hoped for. The angst around obtaining a reasonably priced service for the watch without any potential downside was somewhat dispropotional to servicing other brands of watches and I'm not in the mood at this stage of my life to double down on that aspect of the ownership experience.
    I love the 50th anniversary watch a lot with 3 things that are turning me off. 1 is the movement, 2 is the Saphire crystal and the third aspect of the watch is the short pushers. I am sitting out on the sidelines.

I will happily move forward with my basic Hesalite Speedy Pro on the Silver Snoopy strap, completely secure in the knowledge that it's another watch that a competent independent watchmaker can service in a routine manner.

Edited May 18, 2019
    JesterP likes this.
  8. Duckie May 18, 2019

Agreed.
    Also it would've been difficult to get enough definition with the other alternative picture put forward in this thread to make any visual impact.
    Whilst it wouldn't have looked like a blob of dung, the required clarity of the image would've been absent. Besides it would've had to been in colour with the focus on Buzz. It is afterall a picture of Buzz just standing on the moon.
    The image shown on the watch at least tells a bit of a story whilst getting the message across.

taz101 likes this.
  9. MTROIS May 18, 2019

Kinda get this guys... fine to keep the footprint on case back.... but may be a lunar module on the sundial... or even that gold astronaut.

Something else people, something ELSE!! :cautious:

10. taz101 May 18, 2019

Agree, end of the day people moaning about his ass etc..this is how astronauts descend a ladder from a module in zero gravity! What do you want lol

11. robinhook May 18, 2019

Agree with all the rest points. But moon rocks collected by the Apollo astronauts are US government's property. They are not for sale or commercial usage.

12. taz101 May 18, 2019

You mean Area 51 property :whistling:

13. robinhook May 18, 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rock#Luna_mission_sample_returns

Quote:
    "The main repository for the Apollo Moon rocks is the Lunar Sample Laboratory Facility at the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. For safe keeping, there is also a smaller collection stored at White Sands Test Facility in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Most of the rocks are stored in nitrogen to keep them free of moisture. They are handled only indirectly, using special tools.

Moon rocks collected during the course of lunar exploration are currently considered priceless. In 2002, a safe was stolen from the Lunar Sample Building that contained minute samples of lunar and Martian material. The samples were recovered, and NASA estimated their value during the ensuing court case at about $1 million for 10 oz. (285 g) of material.

Naturally transported Moon rocks in the form of lunar meteorites are sold and traded among private collectors."

Based on this estimate in 2002, 3g of lunar sample will be worth more than this watch. And that's if 1) they sell it to Omega and 2) Omega decided not to make any profit on it.

MTROIS and Omega-Q like this.
  14. MTROIS May 18, 2019

I know, I know! It was wishful thinking.... but even ppm levels of moon dust would have made this an (inter)stellar piece!!!!!! ;)
    Oh well....

15. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 19, 2019

I’m sort of broke right now...but if Omega put me on the seconds sub-register [instead of Buzz], I think I could somehow scrape up some coin and get the 50th. :thumbsup:

C68AB7D1-C5C5-490B-986A-B78E569EAF06.jpeg

16. snake.doctor May 19, 2019

Will really need to see it in real life before making final decisions. All the points are valid, and I think the most intelligent one is about all the different LEs made so far, it's quite difficult for Omega to release a very special edition for the 50th...

One thing they could have done is get some flown materials from recent space missions to integrate that into the watch. For example beta cloth for the second bracelet instead of cork....

17. robinhook May 19, 2019

After the initial laugh, I'm like WOW... this is deep... This is some good example of "Self-reference" and "Fractal"... Man you are a genius!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal

Omegafanman likes this.
  18. Longbow May 19, 2019

You just need to pile up some garden waste, plastic bags, bottles etc under the ladder and it will be spot on! F85260C2-63A9-4D23-90FF-A2F3B0BC2ED3.jpeg

kilofinal, BenjaminT, watchme and 5 others like this.
  19. Lurk41 May 19, 2019

After some quick researches, it was sold between $15k an $400k, depending of the amount on moon dust melted in the dial

20. LeonDeBayonne May 19, 2019

One small step for man, one small step for gardening?

kilofinal, Riviera Paradise and TJH like this.