Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. Skyrider01 May 14, 2019

Well said. Why have an event and tell those in attendance they can’t disclose anything. This is the second time they are doing this. First in March at the dealer event and again now. Just wait until you are ready to release the novelties to the world and let everyone see them at the same time. Isn’t that what every other manufacturer does?

2. RemiWM May 14, 2019

Omega has ruined the excitement for me with this bad realease strategy. I will probably buy a regular Speedy on thursday instead and cancel the 50th, even if I’m no. 1 on the list in Norway.

3. Watchongrave May 14, 2019

I wish their veiled speedmaster would turn out to be showing many of new features and improvements as to design and power reserve time etc.
    They have newly put 72 hours manual winding movement to tresor limited edition.
    Hoping for like 8days or longer one to new SM but I know it won't happen. lol

4. Riviera Paradise May 14, 2019

Wow dude....just . wait . for . three . more . days :)

5. RemiWM May 14, 2019

I can wait ;)

6. Bp1000 May 14, 2019

I waited over a year for my reservation on the Seamaster 1948 small seconds.

Don't cancel before it has even been announced.

I'm finding this all very strange. Everyone is unhappy with Omega's delivery.

Bu they pulled out of baselworld because swatch group and some of the wider community said / think baselworld is antiquated.

That the 20m or whatever the fee is to participate is many multiple times more in cost vs hosting their own press events and media launches.

Yet, as omega are doing that, hosting events, and i'm sure there will be plenty over the next few months, everyone is upset and wants the old way. Which is, have a date set, turn up to a trade show and get to know all the details of all the new watches.

But in my mind, the new way forward are proper product (maybe celeb backed) launches. Showcasing each model, potentially with more TV / print material. I'm sure that will come in the following months, from friday.

MCG555 and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  7. cmenscher May 14, 2019

As annoying as it is for us, it was a press event and the press need time to write their pieces before the public release so they can be a part of the marketing push. This isn't some surprise Speedy Tuesday watch. They want every press gun out blazing, which should be expected for a watch that's this important to them. Plus, if they announced plans for the 321 or other updates those will need to be written as well. Sucks for us but I guess we gotta be patient!

8. Bp1000 May 14, 2019

Yes in summary, i have no doubt this will be a co-ordinated, big blast media push.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had already filmed interviews in advance, as revolution did with the gold 50th.

And this won't be just a 1 off like baselworld where its all over and done by next Monday. It will be a series of 50th anniversary themed events over the next few months.

They aren't just going to sit on the $50million USD these used to attend baselworld - they will use it to promote! Multiple times.

9. watcholone May 14, 2019

I‘d say that in this Forum there‘s mainly hardcore/die-hard-fans. They are for sure important for the brand (as ambassadors, etc), but they make the money with the masses. And they don‘t really care about what gets released when...

Evitzee and Pepe Lucas like this.
  10. LeonDeBayonne May 14, 2019

Who said that there is an embargo until Friday morning? Where does that come from?

11. watcholone May 14, 2019

RJ from Fratello Watches wrote it on Instagram

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  12. watcholone May 14, 2019

13. shoota70 May 14, 2019

Friday is the day to release bad news, not good news.

Cad290 likes this.
  14. GoBlueJedi May 14, 2019

I'm not sure I understand the group-wide embargo on everything. If literally all the articles on every single watch come out on the exact same day, doesn't that dilute the media/public attention on any given watch? By the time I digest all the stuff on the new Speedmaster, I'm not going to have the time/energy to care about Blancpain or Breguet or even the other Omega stuff. Why not roll it out to the public bits at a time over a couple days so we can take it all in?

15. Comtaygious May 14, 2019

False hopes and dreams.

It will be so limited man I dunno about this.

16. DotOverNine May 14, 2019

Nothing, there's nothing. How disappointing...

17. jpjsavage May 14, 2019

You should be more patient. It will be worth the wait.

18. jpjsavage May 14, 2019

Quite. There are lots of enthusiasts here but I don't understand the angst. Surely we can be patient and enjoy the moment when it comes?

watcholone likes this.
  19. abrod520 May 14, 2019

I'm disappointed we didn't hear anything about it today too but remember, the steel Speedmaster hasn't even been teased - there's been no communication about it at all. Everything we know about it we've gotten from rumors, attendees of the March event and hints from the registered reference number.

But yes I do agree that overall this is no way to release watches, months after everyone else

Barenia likes this.
  20. BenjaminT May 14, 2019

Can't be bothered. This was in the mail today :p
    IMG_20190514_161350_750.jpg

watchme, robinhook and bama2141 like this.