Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. Tycho May 10, 2019

Bezel should be gold I think and does not look so in that pic given you can see gold on the lander

2. Tycho May 10, 2019

I’ve tried boosting the yellow as much as I can from the pic, may be yellow sub dial at 9 in which case this could well be the first photo....
    upload_2019-5-11_9-12-20.jpeg

3. Evitzee May 10, 2019

Sorry, but that is NOT a photo showing the 50th Omega. That IG photo is from an Omega Dealer in Germany called Drubba Moments (see the IG account where it originated....Drubbamoments), they have a display of Omega space watches until June 30th as stated in the post. These sorts of travelling displays pop up all over the world as sales promotions. But in no way is it displaying the new watch. Perhaps after it is released in a week or so they may get an example to stick in the display, but the photo shown doesn't contain the new watch. Omega is not crazy enough to let this new watch be first displayed at an AD in Germany.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxSG1IpBOC2/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Edited May 10, 2019
  4. abrod520 May 10, 2019

Nope. We'll just have to wait for the 'Time to Move' event next week. Should begin on Tuesday according to press reports from the initial ex-Baselworld announcement

5. Evitzee May 10, 2019

Exactly right, The 'Time to Move' event is May 14-16.....that's when the big public reveal will occur, probably Tue (14th) or Wed (15th). Since the 15th was told to various people at Omega Boutiques and AD's this would seem to be the most likely date. Everybody will have another weekend to fret.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  6. speedyproftw May 10, 2019

I was told the release date was moved to next Friday, May 17. Don't shoot the messenger!

7. nismo May 10, 2019

Honestly I don't get what all the building tension is about. We already know enough of the details so I don't see how one can end up surprised. OBs have already confirmed price, quantity, and moonshine gold with steel. Non-321 movement has been confirmed for months by Omega corporate. What more is left other than small details like the box? We already know what a Speedy looks like so it will not be much different. If it was a non-Speedy (lol never would happen) standalone watch that is a separate thing...

robinhook, lustrousaurus and ama98 like this.
  8. thevespabandit May 10, 2019

Omega is going absolutely gang busters on the social media promotion.
    My feeds are bombarded with Omega advertising, videos etc etc on a daily basis. They're really milking the 50 years aye?!

9. Screwbacks May 10, 2019

time to withdraw your deposits. it's getting annoying. i'm sticking out with my cb66 anyway.:D

10. Deafcon Omega Qualified May 10, 2019

So, through clever marketing, Omega is changing the occurrence of dust on the dial from a source of complaint into a value adding feature...

kkt, Lurk41 and TJH like this.
  11. ama98 May 10, 2019

As they should. Speedy is their bread and butter

12. snake.doctor May 11, 2019

Well, with the secret well keeped maybe Omega has really a big surprise for the release... marketing deception...

13. rob#1 May 11, 2019

All this conjecture, it’s driving people crazy...& Omega’s social media peeps are going all in :confused:

I think I’ll wait for the 60th LE - I understand it will have diamonds in place of the standard jewels, with a diamond-encrusted bezel and diamond-lined hands (I might need to start a new thread).

14. MCG555 May 11, 2019

Well, yes! BUT it‘s all in the details! How many times I was surprised how different the real thing was from what I expected... Both ways... ::psy::

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 11, 2019

Sorry, may be their bread and butter amongst us here.

But in the real world it’s the Constellation ( figures of men’s and ladies sold in Asia alone dwarfs all other models ) chatting to a boutique in a Japanese airport it’s about 20 to every Speedmaster sold. ( and a higher ratio of woman’s to men’s )

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/constellation/constellation/gents-collection/product

robinhook, LeonDeBayonne and Seaborg like this.
  16. c2500 May 11, 2019

Dropped by an Omega Boutique in Hong Kong. The staff knew about two upcoming limited editions - one Bond Seamaster model, and the Speedmaster. They said the price is around 78k HKD (if I remember right) for the Speedmaster, they have a max quota and can take a deposit once it's announced. They haven't seen any pictures of it, and don't know when it's being announced.

17. Lurk41 May 11, 2019

In fact, it happened at least once: Romain Jerome Moon Dust DNA, with real Moon dust from a rock taken back to Earth by Apollo 11.
    https://newatlas.com/romain-jeromes-moon-dust-dna-watch-collection-with-real-moon-dust/10887/

Given the relationship between NASA and Omega, I am confident that - if they truly intend to use Moon dust for the LE 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 Speedmaster - NASA will allow Omega to buy them some Moon dust, and do it.

Now pardon me to have read only a few of the 44 pages of this topic, from want I undersand, here some of the rumors we have for this edition:
    - gold + steel
    - rumor of 321 but some says it is confirmed that it will not be the case
    - moon dust
    - limited edition production, > 6000
    - annoucement next week (between 14th and 17th of May)

Based on that, here my expectations :)

Not using the 321 for this very special edition, after having announcing they can reproduce it the same year of the anniversary? Does not make any sense... With this announcement, they knew the expectation to have it for the anniversary watch will be huge.
    So for me, they will fit it with an upgraded 321 : at least with the new material, so silicon hair spring & titanium balance. And given what we had with the 3861 Moonshine Gold LE, they could go as far as fit it with the coaxial escapment. So in the end, maybe not the 321, but a "3321" Any other caliber choice would be a huge mistake. 3861 was the historically correct choice for the Moonshine Gold, "3321" would be the correct one for the Steel version. And it fits both rumors about the caliber: a 321 that is not a 321.
    BTW, Omega 321 resurrection was announced the 8th of January. 1969, January 8th: the Apollo 11 LM arrived at the Kennedy Space Center. Maybe I'm searching for clues too much :D

For the gold+steel, not sure what to do with it.. Maybe white gold? or an Apollo 11 / footprint medallion somewhere..
    Moon dust is commercialy feasible as it was already done before, with an only 4-year old luxury brand... I think I'd like to see subcounters with moon dust, or even the whole dial. It could give it a slightly vintage look
    I hope that for the rest, it will be close to the 105.012, DON bezel but with black ceramic, and opened case-back. Movement colour either "moondust gray" (in the spirit of what was done with the Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon) or the copper colour of the Omega movement back in these days.

In the end, a modern homage watch that looks close to the original moonwatch from front, with an equally nice modernized caliber, and some homage details visible in the back
    Am I out of my mind with all this? or do some of you buy the idea?::shy::

For the production numbers of the limited edition, 1969 is the obvious choice but it could be too obvious, and too low given the demands. Another number could be choosen but each time, it had a meaning. They will need to justify it. I hope they won't chose a random number ending by 69.
    Duration of the EVA of Apollo 11 was about 2h30, that is closed to 9000s. The time spent by the first watch of the Moon... could be a good choice. If we have to stays in the 6xxx, could they do something cool with the date? Maybe 6972 (69-07-20)?

Now for the announcement date. 18th of May would be a very good date for the announcement. It will the 50th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 10 which was the "dress rehearsal" mission of Apollo 11 (they did exactly all Apollo 11 did, except the powered descent to land). So announcing it for the "dress rehearsal" anniversary date (or the day before it because 18th is a Saturday), then make it available either the 16th of July or the 20th of July.

No idea about the box itself, but the model of the LM in the Moon would be great, and... Moonfire! I have the standard edition, it is an awesome art book.
    edit : oh yeah, and an additional velcro strap, of course!

Edited May 11, 2019
    RemiWM likes this.
  18. RemiWM May 11, 2019

Excellent summary and good ideas!
    I agree with you on everything except the numbers produced. They have confirmed that there will be 6969 50th LE in steel.

19. Lurk41 May 11, 2019

Ok, didn't know that... That is not so bad as it is a repetition of 69, but still I think they could have find a better one.
    Well, to buy it I have until July to earn an extra 6k on top of my job, and I guess it won't happen.. So, why should I care? :D

Maybe instead I'll just ask my colleague if I can borrow his Apollo 17 #17 (that was a sign, he couldn't not buy it)

20. VjaceCZ May 11, 2019

Exactly, AD in Prague confirmed there will be 6969 pieces and I have the reference number as well (310.230.42.50.01.001). But still no hints regarding the design. According to what Omega posts on Instagram, it will be combination of steel and gold. They don’t take any deposit unless Omega officially announces the model.

I know that’s maybe already too much of hype...but still I really look forward to get this model. Since I have 20th, 25th, 30th, 35th, 40th and 45th anniversary Apollo 11 models, it is just no-brainer for me to buy the 50th.