Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Steel - Expectations

1. Stufflers Mom Apr 25, 2019

That reminds me, it's nearly holiday time. P1190804.JPG

WatchShopping and AntonisCy like this.
  2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 25, 2019

Well with a two tone Metal Magic Apollo 11 Speedmaster... I might have to change my avatar into
    SpeedyPhill_1969-2019.jpg

kkt, speedyproftw, Seaborg and 5 others like this.
  3. weimi1 Apr 25, 2019

If People buy a Apollo 11 45th for around 10.000 Euro I understand why they ask for this price

4. Skyrider01 Apr 25, 2019

I just spoke to my AD today. They were told by Omega not to take any more deposits as all the allocations for our geographical area are sold out. I am in South Florida.

Edited Apr 25, 2019
  5. Lucasfrey Apr 26, 2019

I've checked with the official boutique in paris and they don't take any deposit before the official picture of the watch are released.

6. Stufflers Mom Apr 26, 2019

And then again some people have more money that sense.

watcher1900 likes this.
  7. Evitzee Apr 26, 2019

Meh, you could say that about anyone who buys a mechanical watch these days. No need for a wristwatch when everyone has a phone.

Edited Apr 26, 2019
  8. Inpw Apr 26, 2019

There are other watches for 10,000 EUR I find far more questionable...

I agree it's an obscene amount to spend on a luxury product, however. I fully understand everybody who doesn't get this hobby of ours.

9. jpjsavage Apr 26, 2019

Am I the only one who thinks this is a good price for something that commemorates an amazing point in our history? And its a brilliant watch too! I'm signed up for one and will happily pay the asking price.

10. MCG555 Apr 26, 2019

Well, 10k$ is a lot of money for many of us. If you/somebody earns 300k$/year you get a different mindset on 10k than if you earn 100k and have a familiy.

10k is a price based on what the market is prepared to pay. It is an analytically calculated price. It has little to do with the event as such! It is/was an emotional event and Omega was there at the right time with the right product and will capitalize on it. Not more not less.

Of course I (will) like this model iteration as well, but value for money ratio on this model will be certainly very bad if you do not incorporate the emotional perspective!

BenjaminT and rominvicta like this.
  11. Evitzee Apr 26, 2019

There are those people who were taught that the moon landing in 1969 was a historical achievement, man's first visit to another celestial body in the middle of the Cold War fought between the ideas of freedom, or enslavement via Communism. The good guys won although the Cold didn't end for another 20 years, but the moon landing was an important step in the eventual defeat of the Soviet Union and its ruinous human rights policies of a totalitarian state. And all this done with very primitive equipment compared to today.

For those old enough to have been around in that era, or those that have really studied history, hell yes, this is a big deal. The younger people probably yawn at much of this and don't realize what an achievement it was and what it meant.

The price of the watch is at a premium but I don't think it is out of line considering the occasion and the number produced. This premium seems to be stuck in the craw of many people. Everyone can evaluate if the price is correct or not. Don't like it....just say pass. But 6969 people will be happy to pay the price of admission for this watch which commemorates what is considered by many historians the 20th century's greatest scientific and engineering achievement.

12. Evitzee Apr 26, 2019

Mechanical watches are ALL about emotion, that is factored into every watch today, an item that is functionally not necessary as we all have time to the nearest fraction of a second available to us 24/7. The question is this: Is the emotional premium commemorating this event greater than the cost premium Omega is asking? Those that answer 'yes' will buy the watch, those that answer 'no' will not. It's called marketing, a part of capitalism.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 26, 2019

This assumes everyone wants one...I don't. ;)

First and foremost I have to like a watch to buy it, and as soon as TT was in the mix, I'm out.

arcadelt and SpeedyPhill like this.
  14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 26, 2019

The latest whisper I heard was that there will be a teeny, tiny carbon nanotube on the caseback that injects a carefully measured dose of endorphins into the wearers bloodstream every time they look at the watch while it's being worn. This will ensure nobody feels disappointed when wearing it.

I got this info from a shifty looking bloke who told me somebody from the Planet Omega telepathically communicated with him when he accidentally knocked off his tinfoil hat.

Or maybe not..........:p

larryganz likes this.
  15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 26, 2019

There are many, many things that are symbolic of the men on the moon. I agree with some others that a $4k premium is a bit steep when the materials, etc. do not back up that premium. But then again I bought a #PCA Speedy, so I have bought at least one watch that carried a seemingly unsupported cost. But that one had 99 pieces, not almost 7,000. As the 60th Anniv watches have shown, even 3,000 units of a LE makes it not so much of a LE.

If I like this watch one pics are released, I am confident I will have no issues picking up a BNIB unit at a price a bit below Omega's release price. And maybe in 10 years the market will begin pricing them at the MSRP, but it could even take a bit longer than that.

But the main way we'll celebrate the moon landing at my house is with a $6.00 freeze-dried NASA Ice Cream Sandwich or two from the Smithsonian store. That is even more related to the space program than a watch. I will keep the extra $9,994 in my pocket for another day ::psy::

16. Texasjohn Apr 26, 2019

Why would you buy a PCA watch to begin with? Oh that’s right it’s your thing, just because you don’t see value in it doesn’t mean almost 7,000 people don’t

MTROIS and Pepe Lucas like this.
  17. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 26, 2019

My main point is 7,000 units is a lot for a LE. Even the 3k units of the 60th anniv watches appears to have been too much, as there are quite a few of each model for substantially less than MSRP. So for LE, I will not reserve one of these through Omega, not matter how much I may like it once the pics come out (if at all).

For the #PCA, I really did not see the value, although at least some of the extra $ went to PCA -- and I have been supporting them for 20 year anyway. And with only 99 units the chances of picking one up later were pretty slim, even though it was a US-only watch. That was easy enough to check, as I looked for past sales ads from previous PCA LEs ad there were only a couple over a 5 year period.

snarkq likes this.
  18. Pepe Lucas Apr 26, 2019

I guess we will have to wait and see if Omega can sell all those anniversary watches. For my self, I don’t want to miss the opportunity of owning one and I put my deposit down last month. If I like the watch I get it, even if it is not a hit with everybody. If I don’t like it I can get a refund and wait for next year.

19. MTROIS Apr 26, 2019

As simple as THIS!

20. abrod520 Apr 26, 2019

Well to be honest, those were niche watches that would only appeal to a very narrow slice of even the watch enthusiast market. I don't think Omega could have sold even the usual ~2,000 units of the Railmaster for instance.

On the other hand, there's huge outside interest in the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, and that should goose sales of the watch. I don't know that 7,000 pieces is gonna work, but hey (as has been pointed out previously) - they sold 7k units of the Spectre SM300 the other year, and while everyone thought they'd be sitting on shelves for years at the $8,000 price, they went f-a-s-t and are now trading above that level. And without any gold at all.

I do think Omega will include some other bits and pieces (I'd guess at least 3 strap/bracelet options, maybe more) and a special presentation box to help along that $9600 cost. I think it'll be a popular watch and will sell well in the initial retail phase.