Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Gold – Breaking News

1. MTROIS Oct 13, 2019

2. kelsey Oct 14, 2019

People seem to go mostly quiet after they receive theirs?
    Be cool to see more owners thoughts, opinions and experience with theirs :)

3. jpjsavage Oct 15, 2019

Trust me, when mine arrives you won't hear the end of it! :)

Kingkongsfinger, Mad Dog and kelsey like this.
  4. kelsey Oct 15, 2019

Deal!

Hoping owners who can write better then I, do a review or 10 of theirs ;)

Grail’s an overused term in the watch community, this certainly though is my grail.

Dmitie likes this.
  5. Boony Oct 15, 2019

Hey guys... many of you on this thread have been successful in attaining a Gold Anniversary speedy... I however, have not and so I wonder if anyone can help me clear up how Omega work and if there is a difference depending on which side of the pond you reside.

I've noted that several of you were able to place orders on Omega for the watch, in some cases even putting money down to secure the watch. Are those of you that did that all in the USA? My local AD is Royal Exchange here in London and they state that 1) they cannot take orders and b) they still (at time of writing) do not know what allocation they will get or when.

I've had my name on their 'list' and recently got the call for the Anniversary in Steel (which I declined having put my name down before I saw one). This makes me think I may hear something soon on the gold, but that will only be if my name is closer to the top of the list then their total allocation. I am not particularly confident therefore that I will get one.

Just wondering therefore what other peoples experience is... I so want this watch but clearly won't pay over the odds from dealers asking up to £38K!

6. YY77 Oct 15, 2019

should be clear to me now if your AD has been allocated a gold one and how many, also he should know whether the one(s) he got allocated have been spoken for.

7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 15, 2019

this must have been the longest Breaking News ever...

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 15, 2019

Here you go.

Boony likes this.
  9. kelsey Oct 15, 2019

Hi Boony, I’m in Australia I had my name on the list well before it was announced (ie predicting their would be a Gold Speedmaster for the 50th).
    I put a 20% deposit down as soon as it was announced and my OB said there was unallocated one available for them. It ended up being the only one available for that OB. There was zero chance getting one at any AD here.

Boony likes this.
  10. Boony Oct 15, 2019

Thanks. Here they wont entertain putting money down... they just look at you blankly. Unless I'm just outside the circle... perhaps others in the UK had more luck.

11. jpjsavage Oct 15, 2019

I have been speaking to my Omega AD for years and years about the 50th anniversary models. I'm sure he got fed up of me but he has come good and got me both the stainless steel (already arrived) and gold editions. He is only getting one gold model and there were two customers (myself plus one other) who he was considering and I've got no idea how he decided to allocate it.

12. sgrossma Oct 15, 2019

I've mentioned this before, but I have a top 10 spot on the US wait list and have not heard anything from anyone yet (for what it is worth).

13. kelsey Oct 15, 2019

Anyone else check out their test results? Here’s mine, not too bad at all :)
    F824ACF6-08E5-4AA9-A970-DB4404620940.png

14. Evitzee Oct 15, 2019

The reason they won't take a deposit is they don't want to lose control of a valuable commodity. They want to be able to determine who gets the watch. I think you have to face reality, you are 'outside the circle' and you most likely have little chance of getting the watch.

In the US most of the 50th SS modesl were presold with full 100% deposit, and so far I've not heard any of those people not being given a watch. Some are still waiting for delivery but there have been no horror stories of a full deposit sale being rescinded by a boutique or AD. Other markets played the usual game of controlling distribution to those people they wanted to reward.

Boony likes this.
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 16, 2019

No that’s not the only reason. Note he was talking about the UK market. Here there is a legal precedent that to accept a deposit implies a contract to to deliver. Watch and car dealers are very careful now with taking deposits since they can be sued if they fail to secure said watch or car. One Porsche dealer got royally burned when he pulled the rug from a guy with a deposit on a sought after 911 and had to pay damages. I haven’t heard of any UK boutique or AD taking deposits on these. I was offered a steel one and asked if I wanted to be considered for a gold version with no talk of deposit. It helps of course if you are a known existing customer. I declined both, the first because I don’t like it, the second which I love because I can’t justify the spend!

Edited Oct 16, 2019
    Boony likes this.
  16. jpjsavage Oct 16, 2019

This is exactly how I understand the situation to be here in the UK. No deposits should have been paid by anyone to secure one of these watches.

Boony likes this.
  17. henryhoe Oct 16, 2019

It's nice! But there are just too many LE speedmasters around to keep track. Its all variants of an old theme

18. YY77 Oct 16, 2019

Although I went for the SS version
    Although I went for the 50th in SS I can understand buyers of the gold one as it comes closest to the original that have become too expensive or in bad condition.

MTROIS likes this.
  19. Evitzee Oct 16, 2019

I think many would have opted for the gold one but they were very difficult to come by because of the edition size, plus it was 3X+ the cost.

I know the 'we aren't allowed by law to take a deposit' is the reason given in places like the UK and Australia....and that is a convenient reason the dealers hide behind, but in reality there are always ways around that. At the end of the day the dealers did not want to commit to any sales beforehand, they wanted to be able to control who could access the watch, either good customers or maybe their option of selling through other channels. That's the way commerce works. But just recognize what is going on behind the scenes.

Edited Oct 16, 2019
  20. YY77 Oct 16, 2019

It's the strategy which Ferrari is good at making just short of market desire and applies to this LE as well.