Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Gold – Breaking News

1. 007007007 Mar 16, 2019

GOLD!

2. cholack Mar 16, 2019

For comparison, FP Journe’s total output in 2017 was 900.

ALS released their Lange 1 25th anniversary and it is 250 pieces.

In any case, exclusivity matters to the owner/buyer and it is of course a subjective thing.

robinhook likes this.
  3. rominvicta Mar 16, 2019

That comparison is inappropriate. If keep line in the same manner, there are numerous single pieces of PP.
    We talk of Omega, that makes milion of pieces per year and here you may get a chrono in full gold for the same price you will get ALS date with leather and pin buckle. ALS limits the number that low not because of something else but the price bracket it works in.

cfracing, Pun and robinhook like this.
  4. whitewolf777 Mar 16, 2019

I looked out the omega site. It talks of a meteorite on the back but does not mention it is a meteorite that has been on the moon. Any information on that?

5. LeonDeBayonne Mar 16, 2019

Just for the sake of clarity, Omega is said to produce c. 800,000 pieces a year and PP c. 45,000 a year.

igloe likes this.
  6. cholack Mar 16, 2019

Well friend, I guess we got to agree to disagree.

If I understand your logic, if a manufacture produces millions of pieces, an appropriate number for a limited edition should be proportional to their output.

Anyways,
    Moving on to more important discussions...

Best

robinhook and rominvicta like this.
  7. rominvicta Mar 16, 2019

IMHO if meteorite was brought from moon, then Omega would not be able to access it. And to be honest, having in mind how many hours humanity spent there I doubt anyone had the time to look for a meteorite. Predominantly meteorite used in watch industry is being sourced from Namibia in the area of Gideon, thus it is called Gibeon meteorite. If Omega does not mention which meteorite they used, perhaps someone would be able to identify the exact meteorite by the structure of the pieces used in Apollo XI 50 Ann?

whitewolf777 likes this.
  8. nismo Mar 16, 2019

I just posted on the other 50th thread (we seem to have millions of them).

My OB contacted me for a deposit today. Said 6,969 of the watches in two-tone moonshine gold, price around $9,600-9,700.

NO SS VERSION he says. What the hell! Can someone please tell me if that's true? I can't stand gold on anything.

robinhook likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 16, 2019

This is what the Omega web site says:

"The inner decorative caseback ring, crafted from 18K Moonshine™ gold and blackened, features a partial world map of the American continent and a domed lunar meteorite inlay, representing the true proportions of the Earth and the Moon."

It specifically says it's a lunar meteorite.

Lunar meteorites are not brought from the moon or they would not be meteorites, but simply moon rocks. Lunar meteorites do fall to earth, and that is likely what has been used in this watch based on what Omega has written on their web site.

10. kilofinal Mar 16, 2019

It's a pain toggling back and forth on threads all related to the 50th anniversary Apollo 11 Speedmaster.

11. nismo Mar 16, 2019

I agree. I wish the moderators merged them. At least this one is clear in the title about the full-gold version and the rest are for the "commoner" version haha.

mblease and kilofinal like this.
  12. Seaborg Mar 16, 2019

As the Moon is a piece of the Earth, a Moon rock is, chemicaly, a rock from the Earth. I really hope Omega did not play this game...

whitewolf777 likes this.
  13. JesterP Mar 16, 2019

20190316_184740.jpg Well it's official. Braces and a 50th in gold just aren't for me

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 16, 2019

The geological processes on earth and on the moon are quite different and meteorites from the moon can most certainly be identified.

rominvicta likes this.
  15. Andreas Mar 16, 2019

some serious photoshop skills you got there :p

JesterP likes this.
  16. wsfarrell Mar 16, 2019

Indeed. Here is everything you want to know about lunar meteorites. There are 300-400 of these on eBay at any particular time. They're not cheap, but given the size of a fragment that would be on a watch, this seems quite feasible. Kind of cool, actually.

whitewolf777, Archer and rominvicta like this.
  17. Duckie Mar 16, 2019

If Omega did play that game it's not likely anyone could prove it one way or another.

Realistically, It's not like the tiny little bit on the back of the watch is going to be big enough to sufficiently analyse.
    That is unless someone is willing to sacrifice it out of the case back which is highly unlikely.
    To that, I think Omega have covered their a**as sufficiently by design.

whitewolf777 and Seaborg like this.
  18. Duckie Mar 16, 2019

So they appear to be readily available anyway.
    Only limited by the depth of one's pockets.

whitewolf777 likes this.
  19. Seaborg Mar 16, 2019

@Robert-Jan , do you still have the watch ? Would you mind to post a picture of the bracelet (and more precisely of the claps)?
    Thanks a lot.
    Cheers

20. whitewolf777 Mar 17, 2019

Thank you all for the information about the meteorite insert. On the French version of the omega internet site, the description of the meteorite insert is not as complete as the in the US version and it does not specify that it is a “lunar meteorite”, only that “the meteorite insert symbolizes the moon”. Some info was certainly lost in translation.
    If it truly is a piece of lunar meteorite, I find that a rather cool feature and it certainly adds to my interest in the watch.