Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary in Gold – Breaking News

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Mar 14, 2019

I am now wearing a prototype, so who knows what will be different from the final release. The winding feels solid. I have a number of Speedmasters, and I noticed over the years that the more recent ones have a 'heavier' wind to it. This probably has to do with the crown and crown gaskets rather than the movement though. The gold Speedmaster 50th has just a solid feel to it. And I could be mistaken but operating the pushers feels a bit more smooth than on the 1861.

red crowned, Pun, Alex06 and 2 others like this.
  2. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Mar 14, 2019

Then you probably also are aware that Rolex is probably the only brand (perhaps with Patek) where you can experience this. You also know about their strategy of just not delivering watches. Thing is, I don't buy as an investment, yet I have never lost on a Speedmaster. A Seamaster or Constellation, perhaps and I know you will take it based on RRP, but with a Speedmaster I simply never lost. That said, I buy what I like and what I want to give some wear. I have my Rolexes, my AP, my other things, but what I truly enjoy wearing are Speedmaster watches. If that costs a bit of money, fine.

On the long term, I am pretty sure that my collection will have and hold a certain value. I don't sell watches often (only to purchase others), but I can imagine I would make a loss when I would sell this gold Speedmaster within a certain timeframe of purchasing. But I have no intentions to do so and I can imagine that in 20 years from now, the value will be over today's retail. Much worse than the 0.20% I get on my savings account isn't going to happen anyway.

3. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Mar 14, 2019

Why would we want to talk about a price guidance on a watch that is not even available yet? Beats me to be honest. If you want to buy vintage, go for the BA145.022 or the 345.0802 (it is not the 20th anniversary model ;-) and where 30.000CHF is quite ridiculous at this point in time, but I am happy if someone paid that for it, as I have one and paid 7K not that long ago). If you don't like to go down the vintage route, given the risks or the pricing, then this new gold Speedmaster or one of the more recent (but discontinued) gold watches is certainly an option.

Alex06, Caliber561, igloe and 4 others like this.
  4. LeonDeBayonne Mar 14, 2019

I would not dare or try to make a rule in value preservation, and to make any forecasts. 10 years ago, nobody could have guessed vintage Rolex and Omega (speedmaster) to record these prices, or Royal Oak and Nautilus to be particulary sought for. Back then, a nice mid-seventies Rolex 1675 or an Ed White could get bought at c.5 K$ or less and, believe me, Nautilus were not particularly sought for (unsurprisingly for such an ugly watch). So what will prices be in 10 years from now? What if people start disregarding watches as much as they did for 18th century European furniture and painting? And to the contrary, what if buyers/collectors (I mean those who drive the market, not the people here) prioritize precious metal watches?

rominvicta and robinhook like this.
  5. robinhook Mar 14, 2019

I guess the reasons are:
    1. It's more likely people would buy this LE as (somewhat) an investment piece, rather than an everyday wear. At least it’s the case for myself. As an investment, value matters.
    2. $35,000-$40,000 is quite a lot to put down. For me, I need to evaluate the value proposition to make such a decision.

I just put down the deposit with one local AD to be honest. However in the back of my mind a bit hesitation. Just some thoughts and inputs. Welcome to see different views.

Edited Mar 14, 2019
    LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 14, 2019

Jeffery, Caliber561, Al22 and 4 others like this.
  7. snake.doctor Mar 14, 2019

8. snake.doctor Mar 14, 2019

This is the difference between the buyers, collectors and investors.

I don't buy a watch as an investment but because I like it and I want to wear it. I received my first Omega when I graduated from high school and this watch the watch I really wanted for a long time (a Seamaster James Bond edition). This year I purchased my first Speedmaster and it was a 40th anniversary model, which I have been looking at for the last decade. I'm not planning on reselling it in the future, usually I keep what I buy, unless forced to because I need to fund another project...

robinhook, Al22, fskywalker and 2 others like this.
  9. Seaborg Mar 14, 2019

Concerning the gold allow, the use of "Moonshine" is odd to me as a marketing point of view.
    Isn't moonshine an alcool produced illicitly ?...

Moonshine gold :

Moonshine.jpg

S.H., OWa, hanky6 and 5 others like this.
  10. demchocholips Mar 14, 2019

I wouldn’t bet on a PM sport watch as the strongest investment. Just reading through this thread, it’s clear that excitement for this piece is not universal. Also, comparing the value retention of modern Daytonas, stainless steel performs far better.

This is a watch to buy if YOU love it. I personally do and would be putting a deposit down if not for another sexy thing competing for my funds right now.

11. DotOverNine Mar 14, 2019

E854A248-F836-4839-81FB-5D6EEA18DABF.jpeg

That box!

gippo, Pun, snarkq and 7 others like this.
  12. rominvicta Mar 14, 2019

Precisely. But I do love so many .... watches and if I am to buy em all, I will ran out of money in no time. :D

13. rominvicta Mar 14, 2019

I would prefer a nicely done leather pouch like Speedy 60th.

14. rominvicta Mar 14, 2019

RJ I am not in position to argue with you. Great respect towards dedicated experts like you. I like Omega but I do not like the policy management exerts. And this is what I mean, you assume past is like future and as of late to me it looks differently. Too much concern over short term profit.

rohnin and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  15. gostang9 Mar 14, 2019

They may be concerned over their profits, but so are shareholders apparently.

We see them sell a few high priced items and assume they’re making big profits, but in reality the paremt company is not (at least not on the whole - if share price history is any indication).

A048E6B0-5D14-4618-A9FA-F621C6D80048.jpeg

16. omegadave Mar 14, 2019

Holy cow that price

17. omegadave Mar 14, 2019

An extremely high number edition (10,000) with the extremely high buy-in price (40,000!!!) really makes this a low value proposition.

With that much investment I’d chase down an original vintage edition over this. Or a Porsche G50...

18. boogedyboo Mar 14, 2019

Speaking of, this just came on the bay. Everytime they make a new edition, it makes the original version that much cooler.
    Capture.JPG

Caliber561, rominvicta and Ree like this.
  19. robinhook Mar 14, 2019

Number should be 1,014 pieces instead of 10,000, right? Still arguably high I know...

rominvicta likes this.
  20. GMTspeedmaster Mar 14, 2019