Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve26 May 16, 2020

Hi there

I have been reading this forum for several weeks and just registered now because it seems that I need some help from experts.

I have been looking for an Omega Speedmaster ref. 3592.50 for quite a while. My homebase is Europe (mainly Austria) and while there are watches offered from European sellers, it seems that way more are available in the US and Japan. Initially, I did not really consider buying a watch from a Japanese vendor but I may change my mind... A colleague who is living there sent me pictures of 2 watches (both 3592 models) that would be available. I wonder if the experts among you may have a quick look as I could not really figure out if any of these 2 is superior to the other. Both are from the Mid90s and in the same price range.

Any help would be more than welcome!

Thank you so much
    Steve

1.JPG 2.JPG
  2. Annapolis May 22, 2020

Can you provide a little more info re: what the seller/s have to say and about the prices they're asking? Also, I wonder if this is a query better posted to the Modern Omegas subforum? Not sure what other folks will have to say about that.

In the little research/shopping around I've done, I have found that there's a lot more of (what I'd consider to be) unnecessary polishing and dial refinishing in the Asian markets (esp Japan and South Korea) than there is elsewhere. I'm no expert on this reference, but looking at the pics I suspect the cases have been way overpolished... especially on the second one, the lugs look positively round to me, and I don't believe they're supposed to be--?

BatDad likes this.
  3. rob#1 May 22, 2020

With watches from Japan it’s always worth checking that all the links that came with the watch originally are part of the sale, as often the bracelets were sized smaller and you’d have to factor in the cost of extra links if they’re missing. And, as always, buy the seller.

The 3592.50 is a great watch, good luck with your search ;)

lindo likes this.
  4. BatDad May 22, 2020

I think the first watch has the bracelet that tapers to 16mm - going from memory 1498?

The second the larger 18mm. (1998?)

Agree with the polishing assessment on the 2nd.

Edit - missed the pic of the 2nd watch’s 1479 Clasp.

Edited May 22, 2020
    Ravineman likes this.
  5. whyboddau May 22, 2020

Agree with the polishing comments. But it’s up to you as a buyer to know how acceptable that is to you. @BatDad nailed it with bracelet assessments. The first is either 1498 or 1499. (Virtually identical models) Likely from later 90s. The second bracelet is a 1479 which is from earlier years.

3592.50 are great pieces! Good luck!

6thChakra likes this.
  6. Dms5150 May 25, 2020

Hi there, I have a 3592.50 and the case in the top one looks pretty sharp to me. Its possible its had a single polish as there are no scratches, but edges are still sharp, particularly the tips of the lugs which seem to be the first things to wear down. The cases on these early 90s speedies have narrower lugs and a steeper roll off into the endlink; unlike the 70's and 2000's cases which have wider lugs with a shallower curve angle leading into the endlink.

Based on these photos, would recommend the top one. I have the 1479 bracelet from the bottom photo and it rips the hair out of your arms, also in my opinion the smaller links feel a bit busy for the watch.

The bottom one is probably the older of the two as it has the older tachy bezel with large TACHYMETRE type maybe from 1990-92. It is very much over polished as the others have mentioned.

Anyway the 3592.50 is a great choice. Really the best of everything; hesalite crystal, custardy tritium lume, gilt 863 movement and sapphire case back.

Edited May 25, 2020
  7. Steve26 May 26, 2020

Does anybody know what the greenish stuff is on the bracelet? It's from another Speedy that was offered and I am wondering what's wrong here...

Screenshot_20200526-135935_Samsung Internet.jpg
  8. BatDad May 26, 2020

My bet is wrist cheese...Would be interesting/unpleasant to look inside the clasp?

Stripey likes this.
  9. MtnMarine May 30, 2020

I have a 3592 on a 1479 and I love it. No issues with the hair pulling from the 1479 either, but I'm not a super hairy guy.

hanky6 likes this.
  10. Steve26 Jun 6, 2020

11. BatDad Jun 6, 2020

At first glance something seems off for me on the bezel. Bold tall Tacymetre. From memory - I want to say I’d expect an accent on that ref - but would want to double check with MWO. Overall the case looks polished which I understand is typical for the region. But we need better pics to give a better assessment.

I’d encourage you to post the pics here - not just the link. After all - who knows how long that’ll be live.

Just checked - Tall Tachy is original on this reference.

btw might be useful for you to do a quick search on the two sales forums here. I see one available from a seller I’ve bought from with zero hassles.

Edited Jun 6, 2020
  12. pix98 Jun 9, 2020

got a 3592 on a 1479 from japan 10 years ago because it was difficult to find one in EU

13. Steve26 Jun 9, 2020

Yes, there are quite many offers from Japan, but as with the example mentioned above, it is really difficult to assess the condition of these watches. I was hoping that one of the experts might give some advice...

14. BatDad Jun 9, 2020

We’re happy to help - but as I mentioned we need your input. The more pictures you can copy here the more accurate the assessment will be.