Forums Latest Members
  1. rob#1 Dec 10, 2020

With a number of Swiss brands entering the smartwatch market, such as Breitling, Hublot, TAG Heuer & Montblanc, will we see an Omega smartwatch, or will they keep their focus on regenerating the classic Speedmaster, Seamaster, etc. lines?

And if/when Omega do enter this space what would it be called? Perhaps the Omega Taskmaster? :cool:

DaveK likes this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 10, 2020

If enough people check their messages on them while driving maybe it can be named the Crashmaster? Although given my overall opinion on smart watches I'd happily vote for Trashmaster. ;)

richiv, JosephxSxN, Pazzo and 6 others like this.
  3. Pvt-Public Dec 11, 2020

Please in the name of all that is good....... NO !! But I seriously doubt the powers that be would ever even consider asking my opinion.

tgeekb likes this.
  4. mountainunder Dec 11, 2020

Sony is selling a bracelet-shaped smartwatch.
    If it's in bracelet form, it can coexist with your existing watch.

5. Dimitris Dec 14, 2020

My guess is that omega and every brand that respects its heritage wont go down the smartwatch wormhole .

6. Perre Dec 14, 2020

Agreed, although it might look pretty nice to have a smartwatch shaped like your favorite Omega model.
    There was this rolex smartwatch concept made by a fan a couple of years ago.
    Liked the design, but yeah never going to happen...

7. Dimitris Dec 14, 2020

I think every company should work in the field of its expertise , lets leave the smartwatches to the tech companies hope they never try to produce a watch movement though ..

ghce likes this.
  8. Dor_42 Dec 16, 2020

Ferrari: We will never build a fully electric car or an SUV
    Also Ferrari: If there is an electric Supercar to be built, then Ferrari will be the first and we are making an SUV

If (more like when) the demand is high enough they will make one, and it'll probably be a collaboration with Hodinkee and it'll be called the Omega Screenmaster.

9. tgeekb Dec 16, 2020

Let's hope not.
    The market is led by the big boys in tech. I don't see anything positive coming out of Omega entering the field.
    Stick to your roots.

10. rob#1 Dec 17, 2020

11. tgeekb Dec 17, 2020

12. rob#1 Dec 17, 2020

13. tgeekb Dec 17, 2020

14. Speed1283 Dec 17, 2020

Perhaps there is scope for a hybrid smart watch, with a more traditional movement and main dial but with some smart technology built in via a small hidden display that only shows when you want it/when it needs to. The Garmin vivomove looks pretty decent in this respect although as mentioned on here previously, the Sony strap option might be a better bet for keeping a fully traditional watch/movement but having some smart features.

15. snunez Dec 25, 2020

The new Wena looks interesting (short review). The old version with only a single line of text wasn't interesting, but the new one seems a step up. Released in Japan late November; I'd love to see one in person.

16. Speed1283 Dec 26, 2020

My better half bought me a Withings scanwatch as part of my Christmas present as she saw me looking at them a few months ago.

I like it, it's a hybrid so looks fairly low key and traditional, the screen is off most of the time unless I do something to activate it. It's a nice balance between old and new, but I don't get the same 'pleasure' from wearing it as I do with a mechanical watch. But it will be my daily, with my limited mechanicals for special events and/or weekends post workout, battery should last a week too, so it's not like I have to charge it too often.

PXL_20201226_123728453.jpg
    Foo2rama likes this.
  17. amfalconer Jun 14, 2021

I reckon they survive as there will always be people who prefer a mechanical watch to a smartwatch, don't want or need constant notifications - they're a sure sign of someone who doesn't really care about watches as such.

Smartwatches had a bit of an auspicious start in the market, with not much uptake by the public, despite) being mooted for years) with their limited specs, battery life and applications, although recently they've got a whole lot better.

I was a relatively early adopter with an original moto360, it was pretty useless other than a novelty factor, plus, how long does a smartwatch last before it's obsolete, the battery goes, or if it's Apple, the next generation comes out?

As for younger generations, I agree with you, where I am there is a national skills shortage in traditional trades, not as many youngsters are keen to follow trades in construction, automotive etc, we're fast becoming a population who can't do anything for itself, very few will appreciate the mechanical aspect of luxury watches.

Sorry, but can't imagine you're going to get many recommendations on which smartwatch to buy on here.

18. Omyga99 Jul 28, 2021

19. Canuck Jul 28, 2021

Omega jumped on the digital watch bandwagon (before Swatch), years ago. IIRC, that didn’t last long. And, of course, they are still in the digital business. But I think the Smart Watch for Omega, is stretch.

20. Stripey Jul 28, 2021

One word. Obsolescence.