Omega Seamaster Heritage Blue Significance

Often watch makers choose designs and features sometimes based on some historical significance. I’m just wondering if there is any significance in the blue Omega choose for this Heritage model. I’m sure Omega took some time on choosing this colour of blue over any other. I recently was told by a rep at Omega the design on the case back was chosen to look like waves. Makes sense but something I didn’t pick up on.

…which watch are you talking about? Maybe post a picture to help.

The heritage 300s in blue that I can think of have sapphire casebacks—there’s mass-produced-quality “Geneva ‘waves’” on the winding mass, if that’s what you mean, but that’s nothing exclusive to those models

There’s also the more novel “summer blue” edition that came out last year. That one has a solid caseback with a decoration on it, but it’s not waves: it’s Poseidon, or perhaps the guy from Pesci’s mom’s painting in Goodfellas.

If you give us more specifics, we might be able to help. But I’m not sure there will be a satisfying answer other than… they picked the most attractive blue they could find.

Fair enough. It’s the Seamaster Heritage 300, available in black or blue. I’ve added a picture from the Omega website below:

Fair enough. It’s the Seamaster Heritage 300, available in black or blue. I’ve added a picture from the Omega website below:

Interesting. I wonder what the Omega rep was talking about. There’s no “design” on the caseback—it’s a sapphire one.

Not sure the blue has any historical significance. Just a pretty color. But maybe someone here knows something I don’t.

It’s a fantastic watch, in any event. Bit broad lug-to-lug (across the wrist), but otherwise just about perfect. So glad Omega resisted the urge to add a helium valve.

The wave pattern is the shape of the case back edging. I guess that is what the tool fits over to remove the case back.

No historical significance to the color, although it is a similar blue to the Seamaster “Big Blue” chronograph of the 1970s and some Seamaster 120 models of the 1960s.

It’s a fantastic watch, in any event. Bit broad lug-to-lug (across the wrist), but otherwise just about perfect. So glad Omega resisted the urge to add a helium valve.

The true lug-to-lug on the 2nd gen is 48mm; 0.2mm less than the "1861" and older speedies (and only 0.5mm more than the 3861), the same as the current AT, the Seamaster Trilogy/ CK upon which the trilogy was based, 0.5mm greater than the 165/166 ref 1960s seamasters--- and 1.9mm less than the current SMP.

For a guardless 41mm watch it would be difficult to have much better proportions and it wears very, very comfortably.

No historical significance to the color, although it is a similar blue to the Seamaster “Big Blue” chronograph of the 1970s and some Seamaster 120 models of the 1960s.

Seconding this. I think I remember reading somewhere that the big blue was the inspiration for this color blue, but that's about it. I think Omega chose a color that they thought would look stylish and refined.
Edited:

The true lug-to-lug on the 2nd gen is 48mm; 0.2mm less than the "1861" and older speedies (and only 0.5mm more than the 3861), the same as the current AT, the Seamaster Trilogy/ CK upon which the trilogy was based, 0.5mm greater than the 165/166 ref 1960s seamasters--- and 1.9mm less than the current SMP.

For a guardless 41mm watch it would be difficult to have much better proportions and it wears very, very comfortably.

Interesting. Perhaps it was an optical illusion, but when I tried it on it felt substantially “leggier” that my other watches.

Interesting. Perhaps it was an optical illusion, but when I tried it on it felt substantially “leggier” that my other watches.

Could be. It's a true 41 mm case and it does visually look larger than my 1863 speedy, although it wears more comfortably and smaller. That is, it feels smaller but looks bigger. Is that unclear yet? ::facepalm1::

Also, the first generation had a LTL with the male endlink of 52 mm... if you tried that one on it was leggier. That 4mm makes a huge difference.