Forums Latest Members
  1. azercar Oct 17, 2019

I’m considering picking up one of these and had a few questions. So far the only big thing I’ve seen is that the 1012 movement (and that range) seem to be a little more unreliable or prone to breaking then other calibers so I plan to avoid. I haven’t seen anything about years to avoid.

Other than that - the price ranges seems to be going between 350-1000 depending on condition does that sound about right?

Woukd appreciate any general advice or suggestions anyone could offer with this vintage model?

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 17, 2019

There are actually two completely different Seamaster Cosmics. The Cosmic used the caliber 6xx and 5xx movements and are distinctly different than the COSMIC 2000, which used the 10xx movements.

The Cosmic used three (IIRC) very similar front load cases, while the COSMIC 2000 had perhaps a half dozen different designs, these all tend to be larger as well.

The later 10xx movements were updated to fix some of the problems of the earliest movements, like the 1002. These movements when properly maintained should really be no more problematic than the 6xx and 5xx movements.

3. Chi_spur Oct 17, 2019

I personally love the 5** and 6** calibre Cosmics that X350 XJR mentions. Nice variety of case shapes that have excellent wrist presence and plenty of dial designs to suit ones taste. I may be wrong, but I understood that these calibres were pretty highly regarded?

Just my opinion but I care less for the Cosmic 2000 aesthetics, however it has plenty of fans that I’m sure will be able to offer advice. Best of luck!

4. Toishome Oct 17, 2019

I don't have any of the technical expertise @X350 XJR has in regards to the calibers the cosmic uses but I love the Cosmic 2000 and I think its probably one of the better vintage Omegas in terms of usability. It wears very well and can be still purchased for a decent price.
    The only downside for me is the fact that I can't open the case and I need to go to the watchmaker every time.
    How can anyone not love this ::love::

5.JPG
  5. tdn-dk Oct 17, 2019

Seamaster comic 2000, these are ref. 166.0130 cal. 1012:

IMG_6920.JPG

Seamaster Cosmic, they came with cal. 5xx, 6xx and 7xx :

S10.JPG S33.JPG

Yaki Niku, Verdi, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  6. azercar Oct 18, 2019

Thank you all kindly. This is very helpful information for me.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 18, 2019

Cosmic was actually the first vintage Omega I purchased twenty-something years ago and I still have it.

first cosmic.jpg

Yaki Niku, Verdi, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  8. azercar Oct 18, 2019

Very nice, thanks for sharing. This would actually be my second to go with my Omega Dynamic Geneve (so almost my first too!)

9. azercar Nov 3, 2019

I’m hoping to find one without a date or day window - personally like the look of them with just a nice clean solid face. All the watches posted though look great!

10. chipsotoole Nov 3, 2019

This cosmic was my first Omega purchase.....Newbie tax meant I missed the signs and had to get a replacement 8XX movement as water had got into the old one. On a plus side, I got it with the original brick bracelet. I still like it and wear it, even in it's slightly tatty state... Has a real vintage vibe!
    I would definitely go with the earlier series..I don't find some of the Cosmic 2000 dials quite so appealing. cosmic.jpg

Yaki Niku likes this.
  11. Verdi Nov 4, 2019

They are great value for money!
    If I come across a good one, for sure I ll buy one, especially a day/date version!