Omega Seamaster Chronograph 105.005

Hi Folks,

I would like to share the story of my Omega Seamaster Chronograph 105.005 with you.

Inspired by those super nice vintage chronographs all around on OF I thought that this might be a very interesting new target.

Thanks to all the information on OF and on the net I knew quite soon what I was heading for -> a vintage Seamaster chronograph with a clean tritium dial and a 321 movement

So I started searching ebay and other auction platforms for the references which came in question and I have to admit that it took me quite a while to manage to snap one of those beauties. (thanks @skand for snapping that one on kaplans I was heading for too 😉)

It was one of those autumn evenings when it is already cold outside I was again searching the net for vintage watches when I got hooked on a Swedish auction platform -> clean dial, not too polished and a 321 movement. The watch was described as a "renovation objekt" by the seller as the movement wasn`t running.
375774026_6e769a70-550c-4073-a766-915434cb8a1f.jpg
375774026_6dfaea17-a850-474a-a88c-df9c631f3dab.jpg

I had some doubts if I should bid on it as spare parts could be hard to find and extremly expensive for the 321 movement. As I do have a really good watchmaker by my hand I decided to try my luck.

Because of the really clean dial I decided to make quite a high bid for a not working watch but I was lucky and there was only one other bidder who was really interested and fortunately this guy didn`t go that high.

After winning the auction I asked the seller if he could give me some information on the history of the watch and he told me that he bought the watch some years ago from a retired gentleman who worked for the swedish national phone company "Televerket" and bought the watch at NK, Nordiska Kompaniet in Stockholm in the sixties.

After transferring the money via PayPal (those exchange rates on paypal are insane; if you can choose the exchange rates of your credit card which should be much cheaper) this is what the post man brougth some days later. 😁😁😁 (the other side looked the same)
20210212_174501_resized.jpg

Some days after receiving the watch I shipped it to my watchmaker for checking the movement and for a overhaul.
After his first check he told me that it shouldn`t be a big thing (replacing the mainspring) but in the end it wasn`t that easy.
My watchmaker informed me that there is a non original watch anchor in the movement and that this is the problem why the movement isn`t running. As you can see on the pic below that the original anchor (on the left) has a slightly longer pin.
thumbnail_grafik.png

Beside changing the mainspring and the anchor my watchmaker also changed the crystal to an original one with the logo.

And this is how it arrived today - love it. 🥰🥰🥰 (strap from two stitch straps)
20210212_174750_resized.jpg 20210212_173556_resized.jpg

Cheers
Duffy
Edited:

Very nice watch, well done 👍

Enjoy it, this will give you the fire to reiterate the experience 😉

Excellent piece, congratulations!

Yeah, some of the nicest watches are those that ‘can’t be fixed’ back in the day, and were thrown into a drawer for decades. Good job bringing it back to life.

Next, you’ll start looking for a spare movement, to deal with the 321 spare parts issue. You’ll then see that a complete watch is frequently no more than just buying a movement. Soon, you’ll have 3 or 4, and then you’ll be really going.

Don’t ask me how I know.

Wow, such a lovely watch!!! Congratulations!!!

Any particular reason you have the map of the Neuchatel region in your pics?

In any case, thank you for sharing this cool story with us.

Fantastic dial! Well done & wear it in good health. 👍

@MTROIS the pics with the map of the Neuchatel region were provided from the seller

@gemini4 yeah my new stamp collection consists only out of swedish stamps 😁😁😁

@airansun I am sure that I won't reach the size of your collection of vintage Seamaster chronos but I am not sure if this chrono will stay alone in my collection 😀

Excellent watch and nice story, congrats!
I attend sometimes swedish fora and I like them very much 😀

@MTROIS the pics with the map of the Neuchatel region were provided from the seller

So this was sold by a neighbor and I missed it 😲

Uuhhhh - it didn't took long until the older brother arrived -> Omega Seamaster 105.001

@airansun you were damn right with your prediction
16137569973181346624802048048841.jpg

Uuhhhh - it didn't took long until the older brother arrived
Nice. Is that the one from Chrono24?

Does anyone know the parts number for the replacement plastic crystal with yellow ring for this 105.005? Thanks!