Forums Latest Members
  1. nutsxperia Nov 19, 2017

I recently acquired this watch from a collector. I think that it might have a refinished dial and is a "franken" watch.

I did some research after purchasing the watch, and realised that most of the dials for 166.032 have tritium indicators, while this particular dial does not have. I read online that usually if the dial has tritium, the watch hands should have tritium as well, and if the dial doesnt, the hands should not have the tritium. This watch has tritium hands which looks different from the other photos I have found online. Are the hands original or could they be aftermarket?

Is the bracelet original? The end links are marked 524 and clasp is marked 1069.

Does anything else look suspicious?

Thank you for helping me out!

Edited Nov 19, 2017
  2. nutsxperia Nov 19, 2017

3. dan7800 Nov 19, 2017

4. TNTwatch Nov 19, 2017

The dial is good. Hands, like you've found out, are incorrect for the dial, but it's not a big deal wearing the watch like this until you can find the correct hands. Bracelet is also correct for this watch.

The case is quite worn out and incorrectly polished though, that makes the whole watch less attractive.

5. nutsxperia Nov 19, 2017

Thank you!

Is there a variation for the hands for a non lume version? Those that I see online are all lumed.

Yup I will send it for a brush polish, it looks a bit weird being all mirror polished.

6. TNTwatch Nov 19, 2017

There certainly are hands with no lume for these watches. Just look up these references 168.022/023 and 166.028/032 and you'll see a lot. Or you can ask the watchmaker to remove the lume and fill in with black paint, if you can't find replacement hands.

A service and case refinish will surely make it a better watch.

PS: The second hand looks quite short as well, could be broken or incorrect and needs replacement.

7. nutsxperia Nov 19, 2017

I found some replacement hands on ofrei, they all can fit cal 752, however they have different lengths, does it matter which pair I choose to make it a more accurate specimen?

Thanks for your advice, I think it was serviced recently as it's keeping good time, just that the watch maker over polished it and probably gave it the inaccurate hands..

8. TNTwatch Nov 19, 2017

The hands have to have correct length or they wouldn't be correct ;) The movement actually looks like it needs a service since the rotor has scratched the back as well as the auto bridge. If you go to an Omega certified independent watchmaker, they could get the parts directly from Omega for less than Ofrei and provide a proper service for your watch.

9. nutsxperia Nov 19, 2017

I am actually based in Singapore, do you know of any recommended watchmaker here who can do it? Thank you again