Forums Latest Members
  1. Love Your Speedy Jan 29, 2020

Hi guys, I am looking for a vintage Omega Ranchero with black dial as a cool and pretty rare watch imho.

I stumbled upon a good example and wanted to know your opinions about it.

Although I cannot upload any photos as of now, I was offered a trade: my Rolex 1601 w/ sigma linen dial, matching Jubilee bracelet with big crown clasp, Indo-arabic date wheel and original warranty + 1500 euros for the Omega.

Please note that the Ranchero comes without accessories neither original bracelet, featuring just a leather band.

The watch which I am trying to purchase is actually 100% original and period-correct as far as the seller is concerned (obv).

I know the lack of photos may annoy someone but I wish you could give your advice on the trade.

Thank you!

2. chipsotoole Jan 29, 2020

The lack of any detailed photos of either watch means that whatever advice you get here is most likely not worth listening to as it is pure speculation. . We're talking a considerable amount of money as well as a swap deal.... (4000 + Euros). any seller who can't or won't provide pics or allow pics to be taken is already suspect.
    Read what you can about Rancheros, watch out for fakes, redials, and repaints..Insist the seller provide quality pictures of this watch inside and out (including the inside of the case back) and then you might have a better idea yourself.

vinylcall likes this.
  3. Love Your Speedy Jan 29, 2020

Got a couple of images from the seller, the watch seems very nice to me.
    Unknown service history.

PHOTO-2020-01-28-08-17-19.jpg PHOTO-2020-01-28-08-17-24.jpg PHOTO-2020-01-28-08-19-56.jpg PHOTO-2020-01-28-08-19-58.jpg
  4. vinylcall Jan 29, 2020

Looks legit to me and is in a very good condition.
    Lume seems ok at first sight, at second probably a relume. It is a bit sloppy (4, 5, 11) perhaps you can get a UV shot of the dial to have more certainty about that.
    Crown looks original.
    Has been serviced at some point and movement looks decent as well.
    I guess around 5k EUR for that Ranchero would be the amount I would consider for that.

Flip likes this.
  5. Love Your Speedy Jan 29, 2020

Thank you for the replies!
    Why do you recommend a UV light shot?
    I cannot understand if the dial has been relumed or not.
    Given the photos, how do you consider this Ranchero?

6. tdn-dk Jan 29, 2020

Looks fine to me, is there an Extract from the archives that confirm that it is a Ranchero?
    The caliber and serial is in the range for Ranchero's but other models used cal. 267 in this period so even the rest is okay the movement could be from an other Omega.
    You can test if it is Radium lume with a Geiger counter.

gemini4 likes this.
  7. vinylcall Jan 29, 2020

For me it would help showing any differences of the lume which could be an indication of some partially resuming.
    As @tdn-dk said, using a Geiger would show if it is the original radium lume.
    However I don't know if the seller has one.

8. Love Your Speedy Jan 29, 2020

Unfortunately there isn't any Extract from Omega, I've just asked the seller if he can get one because it's important to have it.

Later I will upload photos of the dial under UV light.

9. JwRosenthal Jan 29, 2020

I think a UV test would tell you what you need to know about the lume (a UV light is cheap)- even if he hit it with a bright light for 30 sec and were able to take pics of it dimly glowing should show you the rate at which the lume dies and would show if any of the indices had been relumed (they would glow brighter than the rest).

I think an extract would be nice, but would take the seller weeks to get. Give it a a little bit and I'm sure some of the Ranchero experts will chime in on if the serial is in the correct range- some of our west coast members aren't caffeinated enough yet so give them a bit.

10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 29, 2020

Isn't unusual to see the dial between the tension ring and the case?.::popcorn::

Edited Jan 29, 2020
  11. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 29, 2020

The movement number looks fine to me but these have been seen nicely relumed. I would rely on a GC for both the hands and dial.

12. Love Your Speedy Jan 30, 2020

UV light photo

57416E34-43DB-418C-A7E4-4F20CF3B68A8.jpeg
  13. Love Your Speedy Jan 31, 2020

Anyone?

14. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 31, 2020

Why is the compression ring floating/separated ?

15. Love Your Speedy Jan 31, 2020

What do you mean? The little gap between dial and crystal?

16. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 31, 2020

The silver ring that provides tension for the crystal and keeps the dial seated. There is a gap/space that starts at 11:00 and continues to 5:00. You can see the the lume in the gap. Not good. If the ring is loose it can damage the dial/lume and create all kinds of problems.

17. Love Your Speedy Jan 31, 2020

Got it, thank you.
    Can this issue bring the value of the watch down?
    Should I let this Ranchero go?
    Thank you again!

18. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 31, 2020

I can't give you an opinion on letting it go or not. The problem must be looked at though before it gets worse. If no damage to the dial has occurred then the value should not be affected. the watch may need a new Omega crystal or just reset the crystal if it is the correct Omega crystal. Resetting the crystal may crack it though.

NEVER MIND :rolleyes:

Edited Jan 31, 2020
  19. micampe Jan 31, 2020

That’s not a gap, it’s refraction from the crystal. The lume just doesn’t go that far back, it stops before the tension ring. Here is the same effect on mine.

upload_2020-1-31_19-38-37.jpeg

I don’t see any issues with the watch.

Flip likes this.
  20. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 31, 2020

You could be right. I have ever seen refraction like that before if that is the case.