Forums Latest Members

Omega OEM NATO Straps - Worth the Money?

1. mzinski Oct 8, 2019

As the title implies, I’m looking to get other people’s opinions on NATO straps - particularly if the OEM Omega NATO is worthy the money.
    I stopped by my local AD to check out what they had. They had a lot of color options - all at $160usd.
    They felt good, soft and thick. Hard to judge the hardware as it had the plastic on it.
    But $160 feels kind of steep knowing there are NATOs out there for 1/10th the price.
    What are your thoughts? Are they worth it? Is there something I’m missing? What’s your favorite alternative?
    Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Stufflers Mom Oct 8, 2019

Quality wise Omega and IWC are probably the best, are they worth the money, probably not really.

Lonestar and KingCrouchy like this.
  3. ama98 Oct 8, 2019

I am currently using an omega NATO on my Diver 300M. I really love the strap and the watch. But to answer your question, I think it worth the money. Very good quality and good looking strap.

4. KingCrouchy Oct 8, 2019

The Tudor NATO straps are great too.:thumbsup:

5. Stufflers Mom Oct 8, 2019

That's probably true, but I've yet to handle any of the Tudor straps, but they do look good from the photos I've seen.

6. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Oct 8, 2019

Are these all the same thickness? Reason I ask is I remember the NATO that came with my ST1 was super thick, a bit too thick for my taste. The other day I met somebody wearing his Speedy with the black Omega NATO that was included in the box and it seemed less thick and unweildy, I would say it was just perfect.

Either way in planning to order one for my Great White at some point. They're expensive for sure but I would like one.

7. mzinski Oct 8, 2019

Best but not worth the money? I would have expected the opposite conclusion.

8. mzinski Oct 8, 2019

Thanks! I may have to splurge on one for my Speedy.

ama98 likes this.
  9. BradleyJ. Oct 8, 2019

Any nato priced over 30 dollars is probably not worth the money With that said, omegas are very thin and pliable in my experience (I got 2). I have other no name ones and they are not as comfortable as omegas however depending on the watch I'd actually prefer a thicker strap. Depending on the piece if its supposed to be a tool watch I like the look of a beefy strap.

10. Omega-Q Oct 8, 2019

I've had plenty of NATOs, but I find the Omega NATO is so thick and comfy compared to the others. It wears to the beach nicely, and goes through the wash nicely as well! It still looks brand new after many months of wearing. Of course, I had to post the obligatory photo!

IMG_9800.jpg
    Jas and kkt like this.
  11. Braindrain Oct 8, 2019

Gotta agree. If it's the best, then .. !

You're buying an unnecessary luxury accessory for your unnecessary luxury timepiece.

Dsloan and KstateSkier like this.
  12. mzinski Oct 8, 2019

Uh it’s a “tool” watch. Every man needs a nicely polished “tool” on his wrist - am I right? ;)

13. Stufflers Mom Oct 8, 2019

I have one myself and it's very good, but at the end of the day it's a nylon strap that costs £120.

14. YY77 Oct 8, 2019

Not only is price a little steep IMHO, I'm more a fan of the Nasa style gasgasbones strap which gives my speedy a more toolwatch look than it already is.

15. vicakers Oct 8, 2019

I also thought the omega nato might be overpriced until I bought one. I’ve had many cheaper versions but they tend to fray over a few months and the metal buckles seem quite cheap. The omega one really stands out on quality. Really comfortable and n fraying ends.

16. saulgoodman Oct 8, 2019

No. Try a Toxic Nato strap. Great quality at a fraction of the price. You will be glad you didn’t pay OEM prices when you are sweating it up and using it for the kind of stuff Nato straps are meant for.

mzinski likes this.
  17. BradleyJ. Oct 8, 2019

If you want to save some money as suggested above then my recommendation would be to try Crown and Buckle straps. Their supreme natos are fantastic and have that thicker material I would want for a tool watch. Also their Chevron straps are really comfortable and adjust perfectly due to the design. The hardware they use is top notch as well.

Then there's the "I want to keep it all Omega" argument. I admit I like it better when I keep everything the same brand (probably my OCD) In this case you are at the mercy of omega pricing which is average of $160 a strap haha. Cant beat the quality though

18. WiZARD Oct 8, 2019

Yes, if you want the Omega logo/branding. They are really good.
    My only issue is their length (too short for me), and the springbar in the buckle. I think a nato should have sewn in buckle.

My favorite alternative is the PhenomeNato ;)

duc likes this.
  19. stahlmotte Oct 8, 2019

Without a Omega Logo, you could get a nato for $10.

mzinski likes this.
  20. WiZARD Oct 8, 2019

Yes, even for $1 and you can get a watch also for $10, without omega logo :D

stahlmotte and mzinski like this.