Forums Latest Members

Omega Nato's Rant - Why Buy Them?

1. Twocats Married... with children Mar 11, 2021

2. Unfamiliar_Moon Mar 11, 2021

“You are very wrong” in that you said you can’t put the watch on without removing the spring bars.

I stated those aren’t my pics, was describing the strap difference and the pictures help. If it makes a difference I’d take a new pic on a speedy but don’t think you’d care. And on second look I can’t find where I thought I had read natos put pressure on the bars differently leading to more failures, so I’ll walk that one back.

also, I’m not advertising for a company I don’t own any more than you are advertising for Omega.

this is just some guy speaking.

machamp6650 and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Mar 12, 2021

Chill out, Hands.

The way you speak about Omega products makes me think that it is you should should pay for the advertising space...

Also, an Erica's Original strap would most definitely also save a watch from falling off due to a spring bar failing.

4. Hands90 Mar 12, 2021

From my understanding, we are not talking about Erica's which I own a few of, we are talking about some obscure strap company.

That said, the reason for my post is that instead of staying on topic, the post screamed "I'm advertising a strap company."

maximilian g likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2021

That's how your first post looked to me...

6. Unfamiliar_Moon Mar 12, 2021

If you were reading thoroughly I specifically mentioned Erika's then explained a unique less-known closure style of a strap I like.
    If you didn't want responses that compare natos to other straps and merely want people to blindly agree on all points, I think you misunderstand the point of a forum.

S.H. and ConElPueblo like this.
  7. ConElPueblo Mar 12, 2021

So constructive critisism and useful comparisons aren't on topic?

Pray tell what sort of reply would be then? ::confused2::

8. sherpastar Mar 13, 2021

I've just been introduced to more NATO options than I knew existed. Love the Omega Cordura.

I have no problem wearing a $20 Maratac from the Military Watch Resource on an SMP, but there is something appealing about that perfect Omega NATO developing "wear" together with the watch it is mated to. Especially considering how NATOs are pretty much indestructible.

9. SkunkPrince Mar 13, 2021

Alas they are not "perfect".

I've read where Phoenix are the OEM for GB?

10. sherpastar Mar 13, 2021

Not sure at all about what firm might be the OEM, but the prices for the leathers (significantly more than $100) are in Camille Fournet territory.

11. gpstar Mar 14, 2021

Both Phoenix and CWC. The Phoenix fray pretty badly after a little bit of use. The CWC are much tougher, like other brands.

This is one of my Phoenix straps after 2 months of use.
    IMG_8595.jpg

Alfista88 likes this.
  12. bthUK Mar 21, 2021

I have to say I find it so strange that people will buy one of the nicest watches in the world and wear it on a NATO. After a bit of testing, I think I am correct in saying that a bronze watch is about the only watch that looks ok on a NATO. A speedy deserves the world's finest leather straps.

13. gnuyork Mar 21, 2021

Why stop there? A Speedy deserves the world's finest OEM bracelet, especially the 3861.

14. SkunkPrince Mar 21, 2021

The G10 strap (aka NATO) was used with the dive watches issued by the Royal Navy. No reason you can't use it with a Speedmaster if you want to.

But I suspect the divers used them because they were long and easily wearable outside of the wetsuit.

15. vadimo Jun 10, 2021

Can anyone recommend good UK NATO straps and spring bar changing ingredients tool?

Totally new to this but keen to try NATOs

16. gnuyork Jun 10, 2021

I have not tried these, but Phoenix is supposed to be the Original NATO (I think):

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/cwc-nato-watch-straps/products/phoenix-nato-watch-strap

And then there are these too, that are similar, but perhaps a bit more robust.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/cwc-nato-watch-straps/products/cwc-nato-watch-strap

If I were to order more NATOs today it would be from either of those....again not having tried, so I can't say on quality. I've tried my fair share of junk though, and my go-to NATOs (Gnomon Dievas) are discontinued.

Edited Jun 10, 2021
    vadimo likes this.
  17. SkunkPrince Jun 10, 2021

I have both Phioenix and CWC versions. My opinion is that for historical accuracy, they might be OK but for actual use, they are superceded by the Maratac.

18. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jun 10, 2021

For me personally the CWC branded ones are the best NATO straps on the market. They're solidly made, just the right thickness, heat sealed instead of stitched and the buckles are not the removable pin type. Cheap but brilliant imo, I've got loads of them now.

19. pumpernikiel Jun 10, 2021

I bought couple of original Omega NATO straps couple of years ago when i started my adventure with Speedmasters. I figured that these watches deserve proper Omega NATOs from the boutique. For the sake of my argument, let's park the issue with the price. What was very weird for me was that despite the same price tag, and similar part numbers, nobody actually told me that they will be made of different fabrics. I learned that only when playing with them and swapping them. So in my expierience there are at least 3 versions of "standard" Omega NATO straps:
    - thin glossy ones - for exapmle the ones that were added to the previous version of standard Speedmaster that got replaced this year (the black NATO that came in the big box)
    - thick glossy ones - for example the one that was put on Ultraman - it is the same type of "glossyness" than the previous one, but it is thicker
    - thin matte ones - these I only found in the boutiqe by coincidence as i wanted to have a plain grey one, and a plain navy blue one

To be honest i only like the last ones I discovered as they feel most natural to me, and the glossy ones are just not as comfortable. What was stragne to me was that I had no clue about these differences and the boutique staff was not explaining that, so i basically learned it for myself while wearing them.

YY77 and Tet like this.
  20. marco Jun 10, 2021

Just for fun, a $10 Nato on a $40K+ watch.
    Safer than a normal strap or bracelet !

20190829_163005.jpg
    SpeedyPete likes this.