Forums Latest Members

Omega Nato's Rant - Why Buy Them?

1. Evitzee Mar 10, 2021

The only NATO strap I've ever had was on the Ultraman, and I quickly discovered I don't like them, at all. Just don't like the look. For those that like them, God bless, but I'll stick to conventional leather straps.

noelekal likes this.
  2. scapa Mar 10, 2021

I think the Toxics are pretty great for the money. I have a few Omega and Tudor NATOs that were included in the box and while they are superb I don’t find the Toxics and other premium brands far off, Agree that the Gnomos were great for the money.

3. SkunkPrince Mar 10, 2021

I like the quality of the Omega NATO but I was wondering what in hell they were smoking to change the original dimensions! That's just insanity!

I prefer the Maratac version, personally.

gpstar likes this.
  4. gnuyork Mar 10, 2021

Maratac is my 2nd favorite (after Dievas). They are a little less comfortable, but a bit more rugged without being thick.

5. SkunkPrince Mar 10, 2021

Never heard of Dievas. I'll have to take a look!

6. gnuyork Mar 10, 2021

They are being discontinued unfortunately. But I like them because they were the exact G10 spec, nothing more, nothing less. The weave was tight but soft, but not too soft. The Goldilox of NATO in my opinion.

7. KirkN Mar 10, 2021

I agree. Why spend all that money on a beautiful watch, and then spoil it with a cheap NATO? Yes, the genuine Omega straps are expensive, but the quality is superb. Exactly what you would want for your cherished watch. I thought the Spectre NATO was expensive until I discovered the NTTD NATO is £280 ! But I want the genuine Omega products, and they preserve the integrity (for want of a better word) of my watch collection.

AntonisCy likes this.
  8. AntonisCy Mar 10, 2021

Agreed mate!

9. SkunkPrince Mar 10, 2021

Too bad they're so wrong...

10. tikkathree Mar 10, 2021

We each spend our money our own way and on our own choices.

All the nato straps uphill of here in this thread: none of them look like they've done a lot of work..... just saying.

11. cknight24 Mar 11, 2021

The supreme NATO straps from Crown & Buckle are really nice. They have a nice long tail that I can tuck in to both keepers and feels secure. A steal at $28-34. But I must admit, nothing feels as nice as the Omega NATOs...

tikkathree likes this.
  12. simonsays Mar 11, 2021

NATO by definition should be cheap. I have lots of them at about £2.50 that work fantastically and look just how I like them. Military! If you think a seatbelt style smooth fabric and finely made stainless hardware is worth an extra £100 then go for it.
    I like cycling, coffee and watches. You will find parts and products in all those disciplines to match your budget and the most expensive versions, while often very nice, can never be justified by form and function. The common denominator is people with plenty of money!

IMG_4708.jpeg

Glederz, ChiefMark, rob#1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Unfamiliar_Moon Mar 11, 2021

I think wrist size is often overlooked with NATOs. For my 6.75" wrist it adds too much height and bulk around the wrist, particularly with the folded part, that it's just so funky.

I have never particularly found a single one, even pricier ones, that are comfortable or fit well. I'm always between hole sizes.
    I've only found that elastic like Erika's or hook straps (my favorite) that are infinitely adjustable and fasten in other ways to be a good option.

[​IMG]

ConElPueblo likes this.
  14. Hands90 Mar 11, 2021

3 deal breakers for this guy.
    1. If you have a spring bar brake the watch will fly off your wrist - unlike with a normal nato.
    2. You can not slide the watch on, you need to remove spring bars.
    3. It's not Omega branded.

15. Unfamiliar_Moon Mar 11, 2021

1. This strap isn't going to break a spring bar. This design and fabric doesn't place as much pressure on the spring bars like a NATO, and to be honest, NATOs cause more problems than they solve in that regard.
    2. Day to day, yes, you absolutely can just put the watch on. You must remove the spring bars if you want to change the strap, but that is no different than any other strap swap at least initially. NATO takes the "W" in that column but comfort comes first for me.
    3. My watch is Omega branded and that's good enough for me.

Plus I can enjoy a little spaceman on my wrist to go with my moonwatch, even if Omega hasn't seen fit to produce such a product, I can choose to enjoy it (not my photos):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one last point, the comfort cannot be understated for me. I like the stretch:
    [​IMG]

ConElPueblo and scapa like this.
  16. cknight24 Mar 11, 2021

1. Any spring bar can break, regardless of the strap or its design.
    2. I think Hands90 meant slide the watch on to the strap. The quick ability to change straps is a benefit of NATOs as you noted.
    3. The OP of the thread was concerned with Omega branding IIRC, so that's why it was brought up.

Hands90 likes this.
  17. Braindrain Mar 11, 2021

I'm waiting for my 6b/2617 repro strap to be delivered. From their website:

The 6B/2617 was the first nylon NATO strap issued in 1954 for the Mk11 navigator watch, the 6B/346

We are now manufacturing and selling a faithful copy of this strap, primarily because of requests by supporters to produce a copy, true to the original strap width of 16mm.

jlc-2-pusey-2--600x898.jpg

18. Hands90 Mar 11, 2021

1. This is not true. If someone were to put any band on too tightly or a spring bar could simply fails. Twice, when I took the train from New York there is something on the train seats that would catch my watch. I've caught my watch twice from spring bar failure! And both times I was not wearing a nato.
    If I was wearing a nato the non failing spring bar would hold the watch in place. Since with a nato you only need 1 spring bar.
    2. You are very wrong. I have my watch on an Omega Nato but as I said, I own about a hundred or so other nato straps so I can simply slide it off without the need to remove spring bars.
    3. I'm unfamiliar with that Omega watch? It is not a model I'm familiar with.
    4. If you want to advertise please do so by buying ad space.

This is the OP speaking.

19. maximilian g Mar 11, 2021

I served in the British Army for decades and used Genuine N.A.T.O .straps. With never having a problem with them in active combat environments and in all climates. a fatter strap construction with looser weave may visually be preferable for some though slimmer heat welded stronger straps that convieniently fit under cuffs without catching are more practical. The Omega branding on the straps is more ones own choice and taste.
    I gave my son a blue dial 300 before he started at RMA Sandhurst last year( Royal Military Acadamy ) and it should last him through out his service, as it has 5 generations of military omega wearers in his tribe ( he's a 14th generation Soldier). I sent it off with a genuine light Grey issue Nato strap used for G10 watches and I am sure that he will at some time change it for one with his regimental colours which is the norm.
    As Archer and others have said it is a utilitarian strap.
    As alot of fame is taken by Omega from Both (UK) Military and MI6 (Bond). It is I feel worth pointing out in this thread that not one of the UKSF (British Special Forces) nor SIS ( British secret Intelligence Service) bods that I know would use anything other than a genuine NATO strap on their watches. let alone a Knock off NATO Omega one ( which is in reallity what they are).:);):thumbsup:
    OH yes please always fit very strong good quality spring bars ( poss Rolex oneswhich are good) on your watch, if not get a jeweller to solder some on if using the watch for its intended purpose, ie daily usage/play.
    (this is in all fairness a rant thread)

Edited Mar 12, 2021
    gnuyork likes this.
  20. SkunkPrince Mar 11, 2021

Omega bars are pretty darn strong too.