Forums Latest Members

Omega Geneve 1959 - different hour and minute hands

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 29, 2020

Hour hand is definitely wrong, it should be the same style as the minute hand, and in gold matching the markers as noted by others.
    If there are no lume pits in the markers, then the hands should not have lume but instead should have black inserts.

With a new hand or hand set and a correct crown this will be a nice watch.

MajorCindy likes this.
  2. killer67 May 29, 2020

This looks like a watch that was sold by a Hungarian dealer

I think it should have radium filled lume pits like this:

6938847C-5787-4A07-83E1-6313925F3DAE.jpeg

3. MajorCindy May 30, 2020

Hi all, thank you for sharing your time and input to help me with the watch! Really appreciate it, and i learn a lot too. I take all of these into consideration and seems like we can conclude that:
    1. The hands are of tarnished gold which match the indices
    2. I cannot really see if there's any mark of lume pits. But if there is, then the hour hand is correct? If not, then the hour hand is incorrect?

4. MajorCindy May 30, 2020

Yup it was from a Hungarian dealer. To update on my discussion with the seller, he maintained that the hands are originals and the watch came that way. Also shared about how there are many different versions made, which might be the reason why there might be some model with not so common combination.

However, he also offered to send a gold hands for replacement if i'd like it (which i don't know if they are the correct hands for the watch). So considering the uncertainty and the extra shipment fee needed, i told him that it's okay and i will find the parts myself. So long story short, i think i'm keeping the watch :)

5. killer67 May 30, 2020

hopefully you find the hands and crown and enjoy the watch

MajorCindy likes this.
  6. amcclell May 30, 2020

In the meantime, enjoy your watch and don't worry about it as any replacement hands you purchase won't be original to this watch, anyway.

Spruce, MajorCindy and JwRosenthal like this.
  7. MajorCindy May 30, 2020

Yeah definitely going to enjoy my first ever vintage watch! I'm in love with it already thanks all for sharing and kind input

noelekal likes this.
  8. OllieOnTheRocks May 30, 2020

I’m in the sun at the moment so I can’t see your pictures too clearly, but for some perspective I paid just under €300 for an all original one of these last week. That said the dial in my opinion was appalling. I am therefore going to be replacing it. Some people could happily live with the dial I am sure but it’s not for me. As for yours I concur the hands are not original and I’ve never seen an omega Geneve of this generation with lume. I own about 6 or 7 myself from the 50/60s of varying models. And the dial you have there is very respectable. I paid €600 just for a NOS Geneve dial (but that was a jumbo one), so for this reason I think that you didn’t pay too bad a price. It’s certainly not the end of the world providing you are happy to find the right hands and crown. I think the hands at Very least are important as this is what turns people
    Off.

Rememebr the most important part in a Watch is the dial. The movement can be repaired, the hands can be sourced and replaced (with a little luck) but the dial can never be touched and finding a NOS one is very very very very very rare. I found one jumbo one and paid through the roof!

MajorCindy likes this.
  9. OllieOnTheRocks May 30, 2020

Oh just seen the close up with the lume! First one I’ve seen like that ! :)

10. MajorCindy May 31, 2020

Hi there! What you said really offers me a new perspective of not only my Geneve, but how value may be assessed for vintage watch in general. Thank you :D

I'd like to see your collection too if possible! I am looking for some strap pairing options before buying a new one for the watch. So far i'm thinking of pairing it with tan or taupe leather (example in photo below) will be very nice and suit the dial too. However, i have quite fair skin and maybe it will make the watch kinda blends into the background. But if i go for darker strap colours like burgundy or dark green, i don't know if they will be too bold and overwhelm the watch instead Screenshot_20200531-140924.png

sleepyastronaut and Spruce like this.
  11. OllieOnTheRocks May 31, 2020

Are the indices yellow gold or rose gold? If they’re yellow gold I have a few of these vintage NOS straps left if you wanted to buy one! I think they work perfect with yellow gold indices / steel cases.

28D5B9D3-FBD2-4470-80F7-66E3A9B9D1C0.jpeg

Otherwise I would recommend something near to this colour. Being an elegant watch I would suggest not to have something with a grain but smooth like this one :)

If it is rose gold I would recommend something like this:

EF14276E-DDE9-45C0-BA97-8CFA4447604A.jpeg

My laptop is currently being repaired so I don’t have pictures of all of my Geneves but here are 3 of them in this picture:

D416423E-5B1B-474D-ABBD-551993D48D69.jpeg

12. MajorCindy Jun 2, 2020

Hey those looks good! I think i have the yellow gold indices, and yup the tan/cream colour looks real good. Thanks for your offer, but since i'm in Singapore, i am hoping to purchase the strap from local artist or at least still within the region. Cheaper shipping + more sustainable! :D

OllieOnTheRocks and Spruce like this.
  13. OllieOnTheRocks Jun 2, 2020

Good luck! I think from my group photo of my Omegas (several have been added since that photo) you’ll be able to see that I do not shy from exotic skins. Depending on the watch they can work remarkably well but I would probably recommend using them on a second or third piece so that you have something more versatile for day to day. From more strap ideas here’s a few more of my collection from other brands etc. It includes pig, croc, alligator, calf, lizard, Python and even elephant (although this is probably illegal to produce these days, my NOS example dates to 1950s).
    4C199B03-4A50-431E-9CA3-A8811E4F3E10.jpeg

14. OllieOnTheRocks Jun 2, 2020

Here’s another of my geneves.

image.jpg

That just leaves 2 steel ones with sub seconds which I am working on at the moment so are not in a fit state to photograph

15. OllieOnTheRocks Jun 6, 2020

And I just bought another today.. they are addicting. I’ll need a new crown for this one, but I’ve already sourced one from a friend! Love the strap choice from the seller :) 2CD99BB6-A5BC-47C3-A345-D60D54312070.jpeg

16. MajorCindy Jun 30, 2020

Thank you for your great examples! Truly inspire me and help me form a taste too :D

I realized i prefer mildly textured leather (instead of alligator, which i think is classy but has a more formal vibe and therefore less versatile) so I ordered this strap from Indonesian leather artist. Price is reasonable at around $30, but shipping makes it a bit pricier.. photo taken from the sunny Singapore

2020-07-01 01.41.30 1.jpg

17. Biezmez Jun 30, 2020

I’ve been looking for the same hands for my Geneve model for a while now without any luck. I find plenty of watch hands that will fit but it seems finding the correct length is the real issue for Geneve watches. The hands are much shorter on this model than for other models using the same movement.

If any members know where it’s possible to pick up watch hands for this model I (and the OP) would be most thankful.

18. SkunkPrince Jun 30, 2020

There are plenty of places to get watch hands, but isn't that the job of your watchmaker?

19. Biezmez Jun 30, 2020

They haven’t been able to help. I’m based in Norway and they have told me they’re unable to source them.

20. SkunkPrince Jun 30, 2020

Well that's no fun. Need to know the movement to get the hole sizes and the length as best as you can measure.