Forums Latest Members

Omega Forums Singapore Gathering

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 7, 2014

A must try.
    A national culinary pride.
    Chilli Crab !!!!!
    20140207_181311.jpg 20140207_181111.jpg

Tritium, blackwatch, rhetoric and 2 others like this.
  2. Dablitzer Feb 7, 2014

Mmmmmh……Crab ::love::

3. NT931 Feb 8, 2014

We had a great time, spending almost 4 hours in the restaurant exchanging thoughts, admiring watches and generally having a good time!

The nice thing about GTGs, besides meeting fellow WIS, is getting to try new watches, and see how watches look in the flesh. Privateday7 was right - some photograph well but look average in real life, whereas some don't photograph well but look stunning in real life.

Here are some early photos (sorry - iPhone pix) ... better photos will follow from Gavin, dsio or Privateday7 soon!

A happy mess of watches: 018.JPG

Admiring Privateday7's Speedeorite, Gavin's Memovox, and Dsio's Daytona.
    collage.jpg

Heaps of fun! Oh and the food was good too.

A funny thing happened while all our watches were on the table. An attractive young lady from the next table came over to the 4 of us and asked us what it was all about. We gave her a cursory answer, and went right back to talking about watches and ignored her. It was almost like a scene from The Big Bang Theory, but with watches!

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 8, 2014

Definitely a lot of fun. Thanks for Nt931 and Gavin for hosting us. Need to go back to my laptop to upload nice pics of your watches.

Tritium and seamonster like this.
  5. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 8, 2014

Respectable Members NT931 and Gavin

Congratulations to both of you for hosting the respectable members from overseas. To Privateday7 your idea for holding such an event will surely be much appreciated by all respectable forum members.

It is hoped, you will organize this event annually, so that you will be able to get more people to participate, next year.

There is a good selection of watches displayed on the table. They are the treasures of respectable members and I am sure, they are proud of them.
    Please do not forget to take them for a tour of Sungei Road, the flea-market and the big coffee-shop over there. Also, the Hainanese coffee-shop in North Bridge Road, next to those 'murtabak' shops is a good place to visit. Lastly, the flea-market at Chinatown is worth a visit, too. Hopefully, these premises are still around for vintage-watch lovers to enjoy.

Thank you.

rhetoric likes this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 8, 2014

So then, I take it you guys did not take the opportunity to jump on Gavin and dissect his brain :rolleyes: ??

7. NT931 Feb 8, 2014

Of course we did. Why do you think he hasn't replied yet? :whistling:

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Feb 8, 2014

Marc / MMMD paid them to take him out.

9. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 8, 2014

I am torn between admiration for your seriousness of purpose and disappointment in your failure to provide any photographic evidence of this inquisitive Singapore girl. Did no one have the presence of mind? Gavin? Ash? Shiny objects attract pretty birds. Please have your cameras at the ready next time.

CanberraOmega likes this.
  10. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 8, 2014

She was attractive and we should have taken a pic with her. Honestly, I don't know what came over me. Could have been Ash's stepped dial SMPP. And being a lady, she only had eyes for SMPPs and grand luxes. Fine taste indeed.

11. ulackfocus Feb 8, 2014

If a woman comes over to a table of 4 guys geeking out over watches, you can trust me when I say she wasn't really there about the watches. She probably figured she's meet a guy with a decent job since you all had so much $$$ laying on the table. One of you, maybe any of you, missed an opportunity. ::facepalm2::

Watch Nerds. :rolleyes:

12. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 8, 2014

I had a great time with the guys. It's the first time I went to a buffet and ate so little. Food was secondary and we were mostly catching up with one another and admiring each other's watches. It always amazes me how strangers who have never met can still have so much to talk about on their first meeting. Thanks guys for making it happen. I did not take many pictures, too busy with the guys and watches. Sharing some here and apologies for the poor lighting. You know how it is with restaurant lighting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 small chronographs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of the few known stepped 6 SMPP.
    [​IMG]
    3 straight lugs.
    [​IMG]

Albertwii81, Steve88M3, Ludi and 3 others like this.
  13. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 8, 2014

Nay brother... I say though it was you who laid the bait, it was you who dodged the trap. Still... next time a photo, please.

14. Tritium Feb 8, 2014

Beautiful pair ::love::
    Are both from Ash?

15. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 8, 2014

Respectable Member Gavin

Little wonder you and company did not entertain the Singapore girl because of the restaurant lighting.

Thank you.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 8, 2014

Those Singaporean girls do get rather noisy after 2 glasses of champaign too lol

17. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 8, 2014

Yes.

18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 8, 2014

I'm just going to use my imagination.

[​IMG]

cristos71 likes this.
  19. ulackfocus Feb 8, 2014

They do have catalogs if you really want to order one through the mail, you know.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 8, 2014

A few pics, the Apollo-Soyuz LE Is far more impressive in person than I'd imagined, if one comes up used at a good price I'll definitely have to think about it:

IMG_5226.jpeg

Was great to get to handle some Zenith's I'd never seen before:

IMG_5243.jpeg IMG_5231.jpeg

And the Autavia was really impressive too, at 43mm its a really solid size for a 1970s piece:

IMG_5219.jpeg

And the Grand Luxe pair have me considering Constellations again rather than strictly collecting Seamasters:

IMG_5234.jpeg

Food was absolutely amazing, just wish I hadn't pigged out so much at the breakfast buffet as the truffle risotto and basil gnocchi was simply brilliant:

IMG_5230.JPG

IMG_5242.JPG IMG_5239.JPG IMG_5238.JPG