Forums Latest Members
  1. boosted-lt1 Jan 23, 2017

Hello,

Just joined the forum and first post here. I thought I'd share some pics of an original Flightmaster my father passed down to me and ask some questions. Any and all comments are welcome!

No service has ever been done as far as I know.

* There is a decent scratch in the crystal which doesn't show up very well in the picture (at the 6 o'clock). What is recommended as far as rubbing out or just leave it?
    * From odd angles you can see what looks like an oily residue on the crystal which can't be cleaned. Is this an anti-reflective coating aging?
    * Bracelet is an 1162 with 172 end links. It's too small for me on the farthest spring bar position, so I was looking for a link today and didn't really find much. I did see something on ebay but with the press style pins, maybe that's ok. With this being a tapered bracelet is there anything special or advise you guys have in regards to adding a link?

Thanks in advance!
    Scott

WP_20170109_19_38_19_Pro (2).jpg WP_20170109_19_47_13_Pro.jpg WP_20170123_20_17_02_Pro.jpg WP_20170123_20_17_25_Pro.jpg WP_20170123_20_18_04_Pro.jpg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 24, 2017

Get it serviced and they will correctly fix and adjust the bracelet. That's an exceptional piece you have and to protect it it needs to be serviced but not by Omega. If you need local recommendations just ask.

Mac5, Vitezi and Etp095 like this.
  3. gee_cee Jan 24, 2017

I don't have any personal experience of this particular model but I'm quite surprised the lume still glows as well as it does given they'll be original dial and hands if it's never been serviced.

Mac5 and Paedipod like this.
  4. Lowflight Jan 24, 2017

Man that's nice.

Etp095 likes this.
  5. boosted-lt1 Jan 24, 2017

@Foo2rama, Thanks for your comment. If you guys have any service centers to recommend that would be great. I'm in Farmington Hills, MI just outside of Detroit.

@gee_cee, I was exited to see that myself on the lume. But, I did have to charge it for a minute and get the picture relatively quickly. It fades really fast - maybe completely dark in 30-40 seconds after 1minute of incandescent exposer. Regarding any service on the watch, it's possible but would have been a long time ago. My dad purchased it new and for the past 25 to 30 years it's been in a desk drawer!

@Lowflight, Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun learning about Omega and wrist watches in general.

6. ATWG Jan 24, 2017

That's a very nice looking watch. Having own/ed my fair share of FM's, I suggest you get it serviced without swapping any of the original parts which is very important in keeping it's value. Second, unfortunately there is nothing you can do about the scratch on the crystal other than replacing it. If it really bothers you, then have it replaced during service, it will not detract from value. The bracelet can also be easily serviced. You can send it to Nesbits in Seattle as they have plenty of experience handling vintage Omega's....be prepared to pay! Also, it's normal for the tritium on the markers to still hold a little bit of charge and glow in the dark.

Here is my New Old Stock 1971.

IMG_7532.jpeg
    ahartfie, FullyWound and boosted-lt1 like this.
  7. boosted-lt1 Jan 25, 2017

Thanks for the advise. And absolutely amazing watch! Interesting to see black sub dials without the tropical brown treatment

I notice the dial is a little different on yours. Comparing pictures it appears the height of the numerals on the running seconds sub dial are a little different between the two. On mine there are also lume dots at the 3, 6 & 9 o'clock. Anything to that, based on year, etc?

Thanks,

FullyWound likes this.
  8. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Jan 25, 2017

aaaaargh open first post with this!? Its amazing.. can i borrow your dad?

boosted-lt1 likes this.
  9. boosted-lt1 Jan 25, 2017

:D LOL... What's more is he swears he has a Speedmaster Professional somewhere but hasn't seen it in 3 decades! I've gone through some boxes in storage and found a 1039 bracelet stamped 70..... but no Speedy :( ....yet!

alohatime, pdw1, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  10. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 25, 2017

You sorted through some boxes and found??? a 1039... but no Speedy?:( keep looking mate!
    I sorted through my Dad's stuff and 'found' his Speedy. But no 1039.::confused2:: Having said that it did have a 1171/633, but I now know it's not the correct bracelet for a mid 60's 105.012.
    I think you've found my bracelet in your box. :( (never mind that. Back to the subject in hand).. what a lovely watch. I really like the flightmaster. Striking looking watch and very much 'of it's time'.
    Anyway. Hope you like it here. They are a nice bunch of chaps but also extremely well informed. Great opening post!

20161212_090823-1-1.jpg
    Etp095 likes this.
  11. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jan 25, 2017

There are lots here that appreciate the flightmasters but maybe not so many with full knowledge of all the tiny differences in details. Yet.

@styggpyggeno1 started this thread https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-flightmaster-thread.36423/ for us owners to create a flightmaster bubble
    :D

There are lots to compare to and examine variations.
    And there is this little snippet of hope from that thread.

And yours is definitely a stunner. :thumbsup::cool:

12. boosted-lt1 Jan 26, 2017

@nonuffinkbloke, @Emeister ,

Thanks for your comments. Everybody here has had a positive reply and I really appreciate it. I hope at some point I can give a little support back as well!

Scott

13. Flightmaster Mar 4, 2017

As a newby here, why did you say not to get it serviced by Omega? I recently had my Flightmaster Cal. 910 returned to me and I need to get it serviced.

Thanks!

Glenn

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 4, 2017

Omega will try to make it like new. Replace the dial and hands. The value in vintage pieces are in original hands and dials.

15. Flightmaster Mar 4, 2017

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't realize that Omega tried to revitalize the watch. Any suggestions on who could do a top notch overhaul of my Flightmaster?

Thanks.

Glenn

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 4, 2017

where are you located? If you have that info I am sure someone will give you a recommendation.

17. Flightmaster Mar 4, 2017

Seattle area

18. propervinyl Apr 3, 2017

Nesbit's in Seattle. They did a phenomenal job with my chronostop. I can't say enough.

19. Flightmaster Apr 3, 2017

Thanks for the reference. I'll be sure to let them have a look at it.

Glenn

20. Fordex Oct 26, 2017