Omega DeVille 1970-1980

Hi, i recently got some inheritage in advance. The watch was purchased by my grandfather. Its hard to tell the exact year it's from, but my local watch dealer estimated late 70s - early 80s. I recently got the watch valued, but they dont have any special expertize in Omega. Therefore i'd love to get further insight into what kind og what this is and what might the market value. I have no plans to sell it, but for insurance and curiousity reasons.

Below is the information i got after i tried to get it valued, translates from Norwegian:
"Omega de ville watch mens 18K with 14K gold bracelet. The watch is from late 70s, beginninh of the 80s. The watch has Quartz clockwork, this special type of clock work only existed a short period and is nowhere to be found today, therefore its hard to give a correct value. Value and quality cannot be compared to Omega watches of today.

Golden watches today with the same weight are mechanical, a Longines golden watch, which is comparable quality wise with this watch has a value of around 10,5K USD. The golden chain is of good quality, displays almost as brand new - would be valued at around 6,8K USD to purchase today.
The weight of the chain is 38 grams of gold and watchwork 15 grams.

Would highly appreciate if someone has knowledge of this type of watch and would love to share both general informationa and if possible a estimate of market value.

I’m afraid it’s going to be no where near the values you’ve quoted. For pseudo vintage, quartz watches, the collector value is very limited. This, combined with sky high gold prices at the minute means the value is likely to be slightly above the value in the gold weight.

As already noted by @Davidt you're looking at just above melt value. Both the watch and bracelet are not at all fashionable in today's market, being a quartz movement lowers interest even more.

The valuations you have seen are laughable.

38 grams 14K is a bit shy of $1600.00

15 grams 18K is a bit shy of $800.00

The gold buyer that I have used locally is currently paying about $35/gm for 14K and $45/gm for 18K. So the gold is worth about $2k USD in practice. The watch is probably not worth any more than that, IMO.

I am a semi-retired jeweler, and I can assure you that what the prior commentors are telling you is true, and perhaps generous. Try this: $2177 oz. fine x .585 = $1273 per oz. 14K. Then divide that by 31 = $41.08 per gram "spot" 14K. Almost no jeweler or gold buyer will pay more than 85% of "spot" for "scrap", on a generous day. Call it refining costs. So take $41.08 x .85 = $34.92 per gram "scrap" or "melt" 14K. Now take your 38 grams x $34.92 = $1326.92 for the bracelet.

The 18K case is a little trickier. Generally, if the buyer does not remove the movement and dial from the case, they are guesstimated at .25 of total weight. However, an Omega quartz movement is heavier than a plastic Miyota, Ronda, etc. And there's a good chance the Omega dial is gold. So the guesstimate of actual case and dial weight would usually be around .66. Therefore 15 grams will be estimated to be 10 grams actual. The calculation: $2177 x .750 = $1633 "spot" x .85 = $1388 18K oz. "scrap". Divide this by 31 and the result is $44.87 per gram 18K "scrap". Then 44.87 x 10 grams actual 18K = $449. The actual amount most gold buyers might offer you is around $1776 for the entire watch.

Now the ironic part is this: If the movement was a simple hand wind basic Omega caliber, then almost any jeweler would offer you "spot", or maybe up to 1.5 x "spot". The difference would be how desirable the buyer considered the style, and condition.

Hope that answered your question