Forums Latest Members

Omega Cosmic Moonphase Ref. 2471 at local watchmaker

1. avo13 Apr 3, 2020

Hey everybody,

Hope you are all staying safe and busy during these times. Before everything started shutting down, my local watchmaker sent me a photo of a watch she was selling. She's had it for ages and recently just serviced it fully and offered it to me for a decent price of $800 USD. I don't have any other photos to show you guys since she is no longer working due to COVID-19. I think the case is nice, hands are good, crown may be a replacement. The only real issue it the dial, it's been refinished and not particularly well due to the missing logo. Is this a contender for a project watch and possibly worth a dial refinishing since 90% of examples out there already have poor refinishes?

Curious to hear your thoughts, I'm sure there will be people from both camps however.

Julian

Omega moonphase.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 3, 2020

It's worth at least the asking price in parts lone, but if you can't live with a redial then I would pass since finding a dial will be next to impossible. Having it refinished again could however be an improvement.

cristos71 and avo13 like this.
  3. avo13 Apr 3, 2020

I agree with you about the parts. I can live with a redial if it is decent of course. I'm in the process of trying to find what an original would look like and who I can trust to refinish this. From my understanding my best bet would be to find a refinisher who already owns a die which is unlikely. Although if anybody has some leads I'd be happy to follow up. I've done a bit of research and found the usual Kirk, Michael Young, etc.