Forums Latest Members
  1. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 24, 2015

Hi all,

I was perusing the window of a local watchmaker and saw the following couple of watches. The first is a chunky gold-plated square Seamaster with a bit of the caseback protector still on. The second is a 9kt gold Longines with what I think is a non-Longines crown and a pretty big engraving on the caseback.

I didn't ask the watchmaker to open them up or for any more information on them such as case/movement details. I realise I should have but like I said I was just window shopping so just popped in on the off chance he'd let me take a few photos. I'd ask for more info obviously before any potential purchase.

I am not sure the Seamaster is for me really, at least as a regular wearer as I already have something similar looking (see avatar). I like the Longines with the two-tone dial (it has a darker ring around the edge of the dial) though, although it might be a little small (33mm I think).

Overall I think they are both a little pricey. He wants £450 for the Longines and £550 for the Seamaster. There was also a s/s DeVille (£400) there too but I wasn't overly enamoured with that. I think it had a replacement crown too.

Basically, I just want a little input on whether you think they are decent purchases. I have to admit the only one I would probably wear is the Longines but if the Seamaster is a good buy It might be worth getting to flip in future.

Thanks for any input.

IMG_4398 USE.JPG IMG_4401 USE.jpg IMG_4397 USE.jpg IMG_4393 USE.JPG IMG_4384 USE.JPG IMG_4383 USE.JPG IMG_4389 USE.JPG IMG_4387 USE.JPG

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 25, 2015

Anyone have any thoughts? I am going to assume that they'd be along the lines of "overpriced" and "don't bother" though. :unsure:

3. marturx Jan 26, 2015

Spend your money here, in the FS section, instead. I think you´ll bet better off, then. If you can stand the wait for the mail man, that is :D

citizenrich likes this.
  4. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 26, 2015

Thanks,
    To be honest I really wasn't inclined to buy either of them anyway as I thought they were too pricey, and especially as I have just relieved you of a much nicer Longines! :) But I figured I'd ask just in case there was anything special or really compelling about them.

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 26, 2015

Marturx is correct. If you're patient, there are some really nice watches which show up in the FS section in those price range's... collector condition and highly desirable pieces.

You mentioned 'flip' in your post.

@ those prices for those watches I'm afraid you'll be married to each watch for life.

Try and stick with the most desirable watches in your price range. Good condition all stainless '52 to like '68ish ?? Seamaster's seem like they're always in demand and they're very liquid. Almost like cash.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. This message board is über cool and the moderators aren't dicks. They have no problem with new members asking just about any question about a specific watch. Especially regarding price.

I knew nothing about Omega when I first started posting here. I've since purchased 7 or 8 Omegas ranging from a 200 dollar 1930's cal. 300 winder to a pretty expensive limited edition Speedmaster.

Each Omega I bought is worth more than I paid ... by a pretty fair margin - only and entirely because of the kind members of this forum.

This is far and away the best collector community for watches.

6. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 26, 2015

Thanks for your reply, and while it is of course great for any newbies reading my thread I just want to say that for me, you are preaching to the converted as Marturx's reply to me was a little bit of an in-joke as I bought a lovely Longines from him via the FS section a couple of weeks ago :) (And the mail-man is the good old Royal "Let's close down all the collection points anywhere near you to save a buck" Mail).

While no means anywhere close to being an expert, I have to say that if I hadn't been a member here since early last year, using the site almost daily, I may well have bought at least one these, but this forum and its collective knowledge led me to think more critically and not go for them, but I still figured it was worth an ask, although I was pretty sure of the problem with them, which seems to be shared by you guys too.

Which means I'm learning! :thumbsup: Thanks ΩF

7. Drawarms Jan 26, 2015

Yup, a little expensive, I would monitor the FS forum and see where prices are