Omega Constellation Pie Pan 561 14k Solid Gold Thoughts

Hi,

I am still looking for my first Connie and have found a couple that might be appropriate.

Would be very grateful for any thoughts on case, dial movement condition, originality etc.

Hi

I am still looking for my first Connie and have found a couple that might be appropriate.

Would be very grateful for any thoughts on case, dial movement condition, originality etc.

I’ve merged your two threads since it will get too spammy if you make one for every watch you consider, both watches are a bit rough though

Like 2
I’ve merged your two threads since it will get too spammy if you make one for every watch you consider, both watches are a bit rough though
Thanks, any features in particular?

The lugs in particular (which are the prime feature of a dogleg) are very soft.
What are the prices of each watch?

Like 2
Yep, the gold-cap one even has wear-through on the lugs in places which is rare as gold capping is very thick and hard to polish through

Like 2
£1.5k on bids for the first solid gold one (day and a half to go). 1.1k buy now for the second

£1.5k on bids for the first solid gold one (day and a half to go). 1.1k buy now for the second

The 14k gold watch has a tired looking movt and would certainly need a service.
It’s a shame about the lugs as £1.5k would be a very keen price otherwise.
As it is I would still pass as I’m sure you would never be happy once you see what a good gold case looks like.

Here is mine
319E0224-43DC-4D7A-9684-3575544337AA.jpeg

Like 3

£1.1k for this watch is way too much money - it has a grubby dial, worn medallion and polished and chewed lugs.
It would be a pass for me at half the price.

Like 1
The 14k gold watch has a tired looking movt and would certainly need a service.
It’s a shame about the lugs as £1.5k would be a very keen price otherwise.
As it is I would still pass as I’m sure you would never be happy once you see what a good gold case looks like.

Here is mine
319E0224-43DC-4D7A-9684-3575544337AA.jpeg
Wow, that is a stunning piece and shows the difference with the sharpness of the lugs! I have been looking for a decently priced option for about 9 months on ebay, chrono, and this site, but am having no luck so far - is there another site or auctioneer you can recommend?

I am neutral on whether to go for a solid gold or gold capped watch - I am naturally willing to pay more for solid gold (appears to be about an extra £1000 generally) - is it worth the extra?

My apologies if this is too personal a question, but are you able to say when you bought yours and for how much? It would be interesting to get a better sense of the price I need to be willing to spend in the market.

Like 1
Thank you for the compliment on the watch.

I’ve had the watch for a few years now and was fortunate to buy it from a OF member.
As a courtesy to them I won’t say what I paid but I suspect you would have to pay at least £1000 more for a 14k watch in this condition in a private sale.
Chrono 24 prices would more likely be £2000 more.

There is something special about a solid gold watch.

A good gold capped version should cost around £1500 in a private sale or at auction.

If you haven’t already done so, set up auction alerts. ( for auction houses)

Patience is everything I’m afraid.

Like 1
Thank you for the compliment on the watch.

I’ve had the watch for a few years now and was fortunate to buy it from a OF member.
As a courtesy to them I won’t say what I paid but I suspect you would have to pay at least £1000 more for a 14k watch in this condition in a private sale.
Chrono 24 prices would more likely be £2000 more.

There is something special about a solid gold watch.

A good gold capped version should cost around £1500 in a private sale or at auction.

If you haven’t already done so, set up auction alerts. ( for auction houses)

Patience is everything I’m afraid.
Thanks, please do let me know if there are any auction houses that are particularly good.
Aside from that, the search continues!

Thanks, please do let me know if there are any auction houses that are particularly good.
Aside from that, the search continues!

If you use the likes of saleroom and watchrecon you can set up alerts for specific lots ( like Constellations) and you will get auction alerts for a wide range of auction houses.

Like 1
Hi,

Slightly surprised to see the first watch (solid gold 14k rather than 18k), still at £1.5k with bids. With import duties into UK from US (I assume 20%), it may be possible to win at a total cost of £2000 (including duties and delivery) all in.

I appreciate Peemacgee's comments that the lug sharpness is not great, but the dial (which is the element I am perhaps most focused on) looks in great nick. Does this appear to be original or is it a re-finish?

Peemacgee also notes that the movement looks tired - is there something in particular that points to this and how much would a general service be (presuming no major issues)?

Any further comments welcome on whether this represents good value, or what the market value of it is (the seller is well reviewed)?

The dial looks fine - it’s not a redial.

The movt just looks grubby- a service should sort this.
Budget to pay £200-300 for a service (assuming no major parts required)

Import charges into the UK amount to around 25% and are charged on watch value and postage cost.

Like 1
The dial looks fine - it’s not a redial.

The movt just looks grubby- a service should sort this.
Budget to pay £200-300 for a service (assuming no major parts required)

Import charges into the UK amount to around 25% and are charged on watch value and postage cost.
Thanks, what would you place its market value at?

For reference, this 18k solid gold is available in the UK for circa £3k. Perhaps marginally better lugs but worse overall value than the 14k solid gold for £2k? It was serviced in Nov 2023 and has an eBay authencity guarantee.

For reference, this 18k solid gold is available in the UK for circa £3k. Perhaps marginally better lugs but worse overall value than the 14k solid gold for £2k? It was serviced in Nov 2023 and has an eBay authencity guarantee.
The 14k solid gold seller has says the watch keeps perfect time and that no service is needed. To be taken with a pinch of salt no doubt but he is v well reviewed.

Value of these two gold watches is a two-part story.
1. The value of the gold plus the dial and movt.
2. How much someone wants a gold pie pan dogleg but doesn’t care too much about condition.

The issue is when sellers expect collectors prices for sub-collector-grade watches.

From my personal point of view it’s option no.1-so I wouldn’t buy theses watches at any price unless I needed a dial and would treat them as parts watches - because they have lost the essence of a dogleg Constellation.

Others on the forum - and the wider public - might like them for being a gold dogleg pie pan and the ‘life they’ve lived’ and be happy to pay collector’s prices for them.

The 14k solid gold seller has says the watch keeps perfect time and that no service is needed. To be taken with a pinch of salt no doubt but he is v well reviewed.

Think of it like a motor car.
The car might appear to run absolutely fine for 100 miles and then grind to a halt because it has no oil in it.
Not only have you broken down but you’ve knackered the engine to boot.

If a vintage watch hasn’t been serviced it will need a service.
Don’t believe what a seller says unless you have proof otherwise.