Forums Latest Members

SOLD Omega Constellation Jumbo SS 37mm 168.001

1. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Oct 15, 2022

With two 'new' vintage Speedmasters coming in, it is time to thin the herd, so a few watches will have to be going up for sale.

For sale a Omega Constellation Jumbo 37mm 168.001 in good vintage condition. As I am sure most of us know, this is one of those few bigger Constellations that were originally delivered to Asia, predominantly Japan, only. Basically leading to a lovely stainless steel 60s dress watch in a more modern (read: slightly larger) size.

I have always wanted to venture out into the broader Omega world, in spite of being a rather focused Speedmaster fan in the core. As part of a trade, I got the opportunity to acquire this piece little over half a year, which I obviously ceased. After the deal and in preparation for this listing, I did find that the exact same watch has been sold here on OF a year ago. You can find the original listing - without the bracelet now included - here. The reason for passing it on is that I acquired a dog leg pie-pan Constellation a few months ago. When worn in rotation, I prefer a watch without date window, so this Jumbo will have to go.

Please find an assessment of the watch below. I have attempted to be as brutally honest as can be. Also note that I am certainly not the first owner of this watch...

Dial: The original dial with all indexes perfectly in tact. Unlike many other Jumbos, this one hasn't suffered too much from tropical conditions and has only very modest spotting. It is very hard to capture on camera and barely noticeable on the wrist. Only possible exception is a small spot to the left of the O in Omega. It's a gorgeous thing on the wrist, the dial works amazingly well under every shade of light. I have attempted to capture it in the pictures and unfortunately fail to do it the justice it deserves.

Hands: I believe these to be the original hands. Note that these might seem rather short at first sight, which is typical for these 37mm Constellations.

Case: Nice fat case with sharp edges. Likely lightly polished, certainly not recently. Some hairline scratches but overall in very good condition. Caseback and medallion are in perfect order.

Movement and Serial: A trusty automatic movement with a serial in the 244xxxxx range.
    Runs and winds smoothly with all functions working properly. It is supposedly serviced before I got it, meaning in the last year, but as I don't have any proof of that, I still recommend a check-up after purchase. I have only worn it sporadically, but have not observed any major deviation.

Crown: When I got it, it came without the correct hexagonal crown, which I have replaced with a correct service piece.

Bracelet: A Beads of Rice bracelet in good condition, signed 3010, with matching 517 End Links in very good condition. Bracelet length is approximately 16 cm, excluding the watch head. I will include the leather strap which has plenty of life in it as well.

Can be shipped worldwide, although I would strongly prefer a F2F deal in the Netherlands given the value of this piece and the added benefit of meeting a fellow OF-member in person.

No returns, please ask questions and extra pictures in advance. I am not making a habit out of selling, but I do have some - exclusively positive - references as a seller and buyer on this forum and could share more.

References and Linkedin profile available upon request.

I have priced this watch a little above the selling price of last year on this forum as the BoR bracelet and correct crown are since added. Full disclosure: as I bought this watch as part of a trade from a dealer, I am selling at a loss, so will have very, very limited room for negotiation.

Price: EUR 2099 (OBRO, net to me and excluding shipping)
    On to the pictures…
    tempImageAERT2q.png
    tempImageUKoiwP.png
    tempImageAUD4sM.png
    tempImageA7dd7s.png
    tempImageEv82Cz.png
    tempImageoeBE7R.png
    tempImageXWvplc.png
    tempImageQObt46.png
    tempImageqZQd9R.png
    tempImagebfyMEJ.png
    tempImageQLoGeb.png
    tempImagefpvMC2.png
    tempImageI7tqVu.png
    tempImage1dBh9z.png
    tempImageAju3LC.png

And an earlier image (still with the wrong crown, now corrected) on bracelet:
    IMG_7909.JPG
    (Wrist shots follow)

Edited Oct 16, 2022
    Rudi99, YYTIN, pmontoyap and 15 others like this.
  2. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Oct 17, 2022

Movement shot added (again, with the 'old' crown which has been corrected in the meantime).

IMG_7917.JPG

YYTIN, Shabbaz and iamvr like this.
  3. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Oct 21, 2022

Quite a few nibbles, but no bites yet. So, up she goes.

4. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Oct 26, 2022

A quick snap to show what ‘Jumbo’ actually entails once combined with a ‘normal’ 34mm Connie.

671C98F4-367D-442D-A18F-8CC72C6322D2.jpeg

Dan S, kkt, MtV and 4 others like this.
  5. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Oct 30, 2022

The longer it remains available, the more I’m inclined to keep it.

39B267C9-39B3-4A47-9CD6-E52F7C64A6E4.jpeg

Don’t hesitate making me an offer. ;)

NT931, Rudi99 and krogerfoot like this.
  6. davidswiss Oct 30, 2022

I think the vagaries of exchange rates, increased costs sending to the UK now it's outside the EU and general money worries now are causing problems for sales in general, but that is a very nice watch.

7. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Nov 4, 2022

Whilst I do agree that exchange rates, Brexit and anything else economical might not work in favour of quick sales; who wouldn't like to admire a piece like this in the metal and forget about all that nonsense? ;)

Communicating with a few prospects, yet no firm offers yet, so; up again. Have a great weekend, all!

bardamu likes this.
  8. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Nov 7, 2022

Now sold and soon off to Austria. Thanks to the buyer and to OF for this wonderful space!

wrog, Ricbo2010, iamvr and 3 others like this.