Forums Latest Members
  1. OllieOnTheRocks Mar 20, 2023

Hello guys,

I posted this beauty a couple of days ago on the 33.3 roll call thread - but I have decided to make a separate post specifically about this one. As you can see it is mainly all correct apart from the crown, I have attached a photo below of what I believe to be the correct crown for this reference.

My one:
    863F426B-AFB9-44B3-AA39-80BE217A69AA.jpeg
    Reference picture:
    2B681025-BAB1-43D8-9A9C-228A1D810E65.png

I did purchase a nickel plated one but it did not match the case colour and @mac_omega kindly informed me these should have been made of steel on these models. That one is off being returned so I am now on the hunt for a steel one.

My question today really is whether these particular crowns have a specific name that they are referred to that would aid in my searching. Or indeed if anyone here has a box of spares with one of these in it?

Also, upon receiving the watch, I let my watchmaker have a look - he said that it was not in need of an immediate service but did do something to engage the chronograph as it wasn’t starting - it was apparently a simple job and he didn’t charge me. Does anyone know what this problem may have been? I suppose I should have asked then, but I was distracted I guess haha.

Anyway, as always thank you for any input and advice I hope you enjoy the pictures and good day! :)

Oliver

Edited Mar 20, 2023
  2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 20, 2023

These crowns have not a special name, as far as I know. Just measure the Tap and outer tube diameter to find one. The chrono non starter could be a dislodged spring....

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  3. OllieOnTheRocks Mar 20, 2023

I have a tap measure gauge on order so that’s good. What do you mean by the tube diameter? the tube protruding the case that the stem slides inside? I guess vernier callipers will suffice for that measurement?

4. OneTwo Mar 20, 2023

If memory serves, I believe @cristos71 had a thread on one of these a little while back. Might be worth a search as they may have posted photos showing the crown.

5. OllieOnTheRocks Mar 20, 2023

I am confident the pictured crown is the correct one - it’s just a matter of finding them. I know the thread you are thinking of it’s a slightly different model.

OneTwo likes this.
  6. OneTwo Mar 20, 2023

Ah my apologies, I misunderstood the question being asked. To you question regarding the "tube diameter", I had a similar question a while back when trying to source a crown for my '44 CK 2414 and found this diagram helpful.
    upload_2023-3-20_10-52-7.png

7. OllieOnTheRocks Mar 20, 2023

Oh 2414 I had to google that, nice reference! Thank you for the diagram that’s just what I needed! :)

OneTwo likes this.
  8. daderaz Mar 21, 2023

In Italy that type of crowns are called "a mezza cipolla" (half-onion) and you can find them in the chronographs of the 30s or 40s.
    The rarest (and most expensive) ones are for Omega 33.3 and Eberhard pre extrafort, slightly different and about 3.6mm in diameter.
    Difficult to find them in the right size and very expensive.

OllieOnTheRocks and watchyouwant like this.
  9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 21, 2023

If you like the shape of your present one, just get that redone and Rhodium replated. Most jewellers do that as well.

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  10. OllieOnTheRocks May 17, 2023

That's a good idea, the only issue I have is the stem is 1.2mm whilst the thread on the crown I had was 1.0mm...