Omega brand awarness as a luxury brand

So if a bunch of kids in their late teens that are glued to their smartphones are aware of Rolex and Omega, then yes, both brands have succeeded in making the masses aware of their respective brands.

That to me seems like a good reason to start looking at other brands! I'm not at all surprised though.

No worries. Just wear it under clothing. No one notices it and it does not get damaged. 😀

Too hot in the summer 🙁 It'd be fine in the winter, of course!

That to me seems like a good reason to start looking at other brands! I'm not at all surprised though.

Patek would be my choice, if I had the spare disposable income to justify such a purchase.

When I wear an Omega watch, it's seemingly invisible to the public although it's in plain view on my wrist. And that suits me just fine. If I were to wear a Rolex, for example, in the same situations it would probably be noticed, and in the business and social circles that I move in it would likely be thought of as quite pretentious. I like the way an Omega allows me wear an excellent watch yet stay under the radar.

I've been wearing a rotation of four Omega watches for the last 9 months: a Seamaster Aqua Terra, Seamaster Planet Ocean, vintage Seamaster 33mm manual wind (1959), and a Speedmaster Cal. 1861 (with a stunning meteorite dial). Here's the " public acknowledgement/compliment"
scorecard after 9 months of regular wear:

Aqua Terra: 1
Planet Ocean: 2
Vintage Seamaster: 0
Speedmaster meteorite: 0

When I wear an Omega watch, it's seemingly invisible to the public although it's in plain view on my wrist. And that suits me just fine. If I were to wear a Rolex, for example, in the same situations it would probably be noticed, and in the business and social circles that I move in it would likely be thought of as quite pretentious. I like the way an Omega allows me wear an excellent watch yet stay under the radar.

I've been wearing a rotation of four Omega watches for the last 9 months: a Seamaster Aqua Terra, Seamaster Planet Ocean, vintage Seamaster 33mm manual wind (1959), and a Speedmaster Cal. 1861 (with a stunning meteorite dial). Here's the " public acknowledgement/compliment"
scorecard after 9 months of regular wear:

Aqua Terra: 1
Planet Ocean: 2
Vintage Seamaster: 0
Speedmaster meteorite: 0

I wonder what the figures would be if you had a nice date just or more flamboyant Submariner.

I get comments from time to time on my Planet Ocean. I don't think I've ever had a stranger comment on my Speedy Pro. That's what I like about Omega compared to Rolex, if you spot someone wearing one/have someone notice yours, there is a high probability they have at least a passing knowledge of watches.

I get comments from time to time on my Planet Ocean. I don't think I've ever had a stranger comment on my Speedy Pro. That's what I like about Omega compared to Rolex, if you spot someone wearing one/have someone notice yours, there is a high probability they have at least a passing knowledge of watches.

Did they just like the look of the PO or did they recognise it was an Omega?

I think the only people who will ever notice a Rolex is if its solid gold other than that nope

I think the only people who will ever notice a Rolex is if its solid gold other than that nope

Actually I did have a guy sit next to me made me laugh I work in IT support and he sat down

"YEA MATE I'VE GOT TH...NICE WATCH SON!??!..YEA ANYWAY"

That was the Bond 50th Anniversary SMP

In this region of Texas folks wouldn't know an Omega from a Casio purchased at Wal Mart so I'm not bothered with any watch admirers at all.

Doesn't matter to me for recognized or not, I get some interest when I wear my explorer on leather, same with the 5512. No one has ever commented on either the subs or gmt or Daytona.

On Omega I get more " Beautiful watch, what is it?" Than clear recognition. They do catch the eye though, perhaps more than the Rolex, because se the PO LMLE has a lot of presence as does the AT.

As a whole I don't think they get any more or less recognized in new York than the iwc or even my Baume and Mercier which girls love because it's a vintage 34 mm gold so it's really cute.

Panerai etc are instantly recognizable.

As far as me seeing, because I live in the east village and there are tons of Asian NYU students, I see a lot of Omega around

Doesn't matter to me for recognized or not, I get some interest when I wear my explorer on leather, same with the 5512. No one has ever commented on either the subs or gmt or Daytona.

On Omega I get more " Beautiful watch, what is it?" Than clear recognition. They do catch the eye though, perhaps more than the Rolex, because se the PO LMLE has a lot of presence as does the AT.

As a whole I don't think they get any more or less recognized in new York than the iwc or even my Baume and Mercier which girls love because it's a vintage 34 mm gold so it's really cute.

Panerai etc are instantly recognizable.

As far as me seeing, because I live in the east village and there are tons of Asian NYU students, I see a lot of Omega around

Omega moonwatch manual wind was my 1st serious watch purchase with the vintage Omega as well. Hopefully, the date just or submariner will be second and I would love an Aqua terra as the third. The dark black deck dial on the master co axia very nice.😀😉

I've found that the average person doesn't know anything about watches.

Sure, they've heard of the name rolex and probably Omega, but most people just don't care.

I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I often find myself pulling my sleeves down to hide my watch. I don't know why I feel self conscious about it sometimes.

If someone asks me how much a particular watch costs, I just tell them that I don't like talking about money. Unless it's a close family member or friend that I am comfortable around, I don't like telling people that I'm wearing a watch that costs thousands of dollars. People's reaction for the most part aren't great.

I've always been a Omega fan first and a rolex fan second. Mainly because I come from a family that has chosen Omega for almost 50 years.

These days when I see a random person wearing a modern rolex, I tend to assume he bought it because it's a rolex. The guy wearing a Speedmaster or any watch is usually someone who cares enough to not choose a rolex. Yes, it's not fair and that doesn't apply to everyone, but it's what I've found from my own personal experiences.

I've found that the average person doesn't know anything about watches.

Sure, they've heard of the name rolex and probably Omega, but most people just don't care.

I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I often find myself pulling my sleeves down to hide my watch. I don't know why I feel self conscious about it sometimes.

If someone asks me how much a particular watch costs, I just tell them that I don't like talking about money. Unless it's a close family member or friend that I am comfortable around, I don't like telling people that I'm wearing a watch that costs thousands of dollars. People's reaction for the most part aren't great.

I've always been a Omega fan first and a rolex fan second. Mainly because I come from a family that has chosen Omega for almost 50 years.

These days when I see a random person wearing a modern rolex, I tend to assume he bought it because it's a rolex. The guy wearing a Speedmaster or any watch is usually someone who cares enough to not choose a rolex. Yes, it's not fair and that doesn't apply to everyone, but it's what I've found from my own personal experiences.
Not atypical, I used to have a bias against Rokex myself, more based on my perception of the Rokex wearers that I encontered than on the brand itself . I loved the IWC and B&M and then Omega. Then like others I discovered vintage Rolex, a 1675 a 5512 etc and I got hooked.

Slowly my perception changed. Why would I not buy and wear a great watch from a great Brand because of whatever perception I had of people, or people may have from me.

It downed on me the irony and hypocrisy of going against one brand and into another just to avoid being judged, or because of my own pre judgement. It's like reverse racism.

So I cleared my head and started looking into what I liked first , and whatever the brand or perception would be second. I also started focusing my collector habits a bit.

Now I just enjoy the watches purely for myself. It's a basic and obvious first step, but somehow it came second or third to me.
Edited:

Top luxury to non watch enthusiasts and mid their luxury to a watch enthusiast.
Exactly.
Rolex is associated with some extra-luxury. Wear Patek and nobody gives a f*, but Rolex... [emoji32]
As a consultant I just can't wear Rolex, it will arise questions about my fee [emoji41] Omega is OK.

That said, I've been planning a purchase of a Dark Side for some time now, but worry about how noticeable it is on the wrist 😀

I live in Florida, and I wore my Darkside of the moon almost every day for over a year, most of the time in short sleeve shirts. No one has ever said a thing. Not that I mind, I'm just saying I think most people only see a watch.

As in, "oh that guy is wearing a black watch. Whatever."

I've had my Speedy Pro for just over a year now. Mainly, no one really cares. As it has been said, most people buy a cheap quartz that looks 'nice' and don't appreciate fine horology.

That said, there have been a few people (all work colleagues) that have noticed my watch and asked about it. Of course I went into full bore mode and talked endlessly about the mechanical nature, taking it off my wrist to show the movement (it's a sapphire sandwich) and explaining the Moon connection. Some were generally interested, others less so. I've only really met 2 people with an interest closely matching mine. One had a special edition Bremont the other still 'stuck' in quartz land!
Edited:

Interesting observations...

My experiences are as follows. A few of my friends that enjoy watches and own Submariners or Yachtmasters have noticed and commented on how they really like my Seamster 300 MC. Only my family has ever noticed my Deville Orbis blue Hour Vision.

Years ago, (about 12 years ago), someone commented on my Breitling Colt (he recognized the pilot bracelet), which is a very simple non flashy watch (was also my first automatic watch - bought in 1999). I really like that watch, and still wear it weekly. In my late 20's I bought a "flashier" Breitling as it was all the rage back in the early 2000's. It is a two tone large (44 MM I think) chronomat evolution, and it always seams to bring attention. That is probably why I never wear it much these days. I still like the watch, but I think it just brings too much attention. I think I have worn it maybe twice in the last year or so.

Interesting observations...

My experiences are as follows. A few of my friends that enjoy watches and own Submariners or Yachtmasters have noticed and commented on how they really like my Seamster 300 MC. Only my family has ever noticed my Deville Orbis blue Hour Vision.

Years ago, (about 12 years ago), someone commented on my Breitling Colt (he recognized the pilot bracelet), which is a very simple non flashy watch (was also my first automatic watch - bought in 1999). I really like that watch, and still wear it weekly. In my late 20's I bought a "flashier" Breitling as it was all the rage back in the early 2000's. It is a two tone large (44 MM I think) chronomat evolution, and it always seams to bring attention. That is probably why I never wear it much these days. I still like the watch, but I think it just brings too much attention. I think I have worn it maybe twice in the last year or so.

It is funny how our taste changes as our age changes.