Forums Latest Members

Omega Boutiques unnecessary customer experience hostility

1. watchos Sep 18, 2019

More than once I have gone into an OB and encountered hostility from the staff regarding replacement spring bars. When inquiring about them, they insist they are not for sale. This falls into the a broad policy of no replacement parts sold. For certain parts, it could be considered understandable.

For spring bars, I completely differ. Specially considering how much they are promoting the switching of bands via their NATO marketing.

Today I had a very unpleasant experience at the Madrid OB. Very hostile staff from the get go - even though the store was empty.

First they said they wouldn’t be able to give me any, even though I was wearing the watch the spring bars were for. Then the the sales person consulted with a colleague who suggested I get some. I was brought a single pair.

I explained that for the watch in question I had not just the bracelet but a rubber, leather and multiple NATO straps, which I rotate frequently.

Trying to seek resolution I:

• I offered to pay. Offer Denied.
    • I asked to talk to the watch maker. Denied.
    • I was told that if I brought in the watch they would switch the bands out for me. So I took my watch off and asked for new spring bars to be swapped. I hoped they would provide an extra pair with this.
    • They then insisted that they would only be able to swap them for the ones I had just been given.
    • I accepted, after talking with the OB manager which did not seem to care about the situation.
    • When handing back my watch, which was returned with out even a quick cleaning.
    • The manager even went ahead with unnecessary hyperbole starting that they they couldn’t “give me 22 spring bars” when I hadn’t even given a number. And no second pair, because policy.

They did not engage me in any positive way trying to seek a positive resolution and rather hid behind the ridiculous policy of no spring bars.

Last years it happened at the Las Vegas OB where they refused to give me a spare after I purchased a rubber strap.

Earlier this year I was given two pairs at the Chicago OB on one occasion.

On a follow up visit by my wife, they were out of the 2207s.

Couple of questions to the community:

• Should Omega change this policy and just sell the dam spring bars?
    • Who is Omegas OEM for springs so that I can purchase these separately?
    • I know springs bars from other manufacturers can easily be obtained via Ofrei or Amazon, but was hoping to get originals.
    • Having to beg for stuff is not my cup of tea and neither is dealing with hostile sales people.
    • To contrast, I was able to buy two packs of five spring bars from a Rolex AD without any issues.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 18, 2019

This seems so contrary to my OB experiences.

3. SG90 Sep 18, 2019

This seems similar to my OB experiences.

SpeedyPhill and watchos like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2019

Omega does not consider spring bars to be restricted parts generally. Nor do they consider bracelets, straps, or buckles to be restricted parts. This means that unlike movement or case parts where you have to be an approved watchmaker to order them, parts that are attachments to the watch head are free for anyone to buy.

My feeling is that staff at OB's are not always well versed in the rules. There was an incident on here some time ago where someone who was staff at an OB came on here and claimed that Omega didn't sell parts to watchmakers at all - something that is clearly not true. He said that this is what they were told in training, so who knows who is giving what training and how accurate it all is.

I would suggest contacting an actual Omega service center and speaking with their parts department, rather than going through an OB. These are the people that I order parts through all the time, and they shouldn't give you the run around.

Cheers, Al

flw, larryganz, OzOmega and 2 others like this.
  5. watchos Sep 18, 2019

Thanks for this. Is there a document or something that states such policy in person I can have them reference? Seems a bit odd that they are not well versed in their own policies and disappointing.

i actually asked the manager to give me a recorded statement of the policy which was refused and then I asked for the same I’m writing, which was refused as well. So not only do they hide behind ridiculous policy but don’t have the courage to stand by it in writing.

Millenary Watches likes this.
  6. watchos Sep 18, 2019

Me neither. Unless I am requesting a spring bar. This just opens up all sort of issues.

7. watchos Sep 18, 2019

Let’s help Omega with a little hidden shopper type quality assurance:

Please go to your closet Omega boutique, ask for spring bars, post here the location(if your ok with it) and their way of managing this. I’ve had varied results with this.

In a Swiss OB, they actually sold me a bunch at $1 Swiss franks per pair last year.

Millenary Watches likes this.
  8. watchos Sep 18, 2019

What happened in your case?

9. joeshoup Sep 18, 2019

I don't know that this is their policy - the San Francisco OB just ordered me some spring bars for my Speedmaster clasp and spent a comical amount of time trying to figure out the appropriate part number (why this would be so difficult I don't know). Eight bucks for the bars and a couple hours of staff time, and always cheerful and gracious about it.

Sounds like the jokers at the Madrid store have too much attitude and not enough training.

flw, tyrantlizardrex and efauser like this.
  10. watchos Sep 18, 2019

Sadly this is probably the case. An empty store with a single client is a great opportunity to build brand engagement that counts. But since brand engagement is only measured in Instagram likes now a days, they probably don’t care.

kkt likes this.
  11. Toishome Sep 18, 2019

I would buy myself some aftermarket spring bars that can be even better than Omegas and save your self lots of aggravation. I would be very pissed if they treated me like that.

Ssunnylee24 likes this.
  12. watchos Sep 18, 2019

What brand do you recommend?

13. Toishome Sep 18, 2019

watchos likes this.
  14. watchos Sep 18, 2019

Thanks!

15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 18, 2019

I go to the San Diego Omega Boutique and they are always more than accommodating with anything that I need. I have gone there many times after vacation to get my spring bars replaced, as I was worried that the salt water would rust the spring bars. They have always replaced them for me, and this last time they added that they are stainless and wont rust. They have ordered me links and clasps and have always fitted my bracelets. The level of service has been exceptional.

16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 18, 2019

Honestly, did you really expect them do do so? I could never see anyone in a retail setting agreeing to be recorded or to take the time to write something formal indicating the main office's policies. They would be putting their job at risk.

brownip and connieseamaster like this.
  17. YY77 Sep 18, 2019

I got a quote at swisswatchspares for a pack of 10 068ST2207/8 £60 actual OEM packaging (also possible ordering per piece), don't think I need that much.

Local AD is selling them at 10€ per springbar.

watchos likes this.
  18. watchos Sep 18, 2019

I was expecting them to show me the actual policy. Since it all sounds too absurd to make such a big fuss over a few bucks. Its al,Pat as if they were doing it just to prove themselves right? Too much ego?

vicakers likes this.
  19. watchos Sep 18, 2019

Great find! Thanks.

20. 89-0 Sep 18, 2019

I go to the NYC OB, they have given them to me for free and also charged me (I think $4/ea?). But I've never been refused.

Mad Dog, efauser and watchos like this.