Forums Latest Members
  1. KAP Feb 25, 2019

A general expectation to start with based on my experience is OBs will not discount watches, but will do so for accessories (like bands, bracelets, etc.) if purchased with the watch. For any purchase, OB's will offer free shipping. I live in a place without sales tax so my experience is that they will not charge any tax if shipping to me.

Edited Feb 25, 2019
  2. Cenzo Jun 2, 2019

Some folks have mentioned a 10% discount at OB. I was offered 10% off at an AD on a speedy pro, but the sales tax is 10% so in effect you are walking out with the watch at retail.

When others mentioned the 10%, was the before or after tax? Looking to make the best deal at OB or AD in Chicago area.

Thanks for any suggestions.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 2, 2019

Do you know how tax works?

3nicewatches likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 2, 2019

5. ctpete Jun 2, 2019

What am I missing here??? Trips??Travel and hotels??

What sort of customer gets these from Omega??

The only thing I can imagine is something akin to the Mercedes Factory Delivery experience, in Stuttgart, which was great fun. They give you discounted airfare, two nights in a first class hotel, a day and a half factory experience with all meals and beverages. Of course, there was an $80,000 purchase involved!

But I've never heard of Omega or any other watch company offer this or anything like it.

6. tjs Jun 2, 2019

I went to two in NY, both offered to remove tax, that is it. They said they could do more on less popular watches (not my case so I didn't even ask).

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2019

You should search for posts from user "Superdoc". He hasn't been around for quite a while, but he was a big purchaser of new, expensive Omegas from boutiques, and they in turn invited him to golf tournaments and other special events.

The average Joe going in and buying one watch at an OB isn't going to get this treatment - it's for the big spenders. Just know that when you go in and buy your watch at the OB, you are helping to subsidize the trips the big spenders get.

daf90, Observer, Swissmister and 5 others like this.
  8. krh7 Jun 3, 2019

Was in Milan in May and they offered no VAT on FOIS. Not much of a deal as that was my minimum expectation.

9. texasmade Jun 4, 2019

AP and Patek do invites and other special things for their customers. AP requires big spend while Patek you may not need a big spend. The Patek AD has to put you up for it. At least that’s what I’ve heard.

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 4, 2019

What confuses me is, why should they give you a discount?

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. Folgono Jun 4, 2019

I think a lot of people see the grey market prices and then think they should get a discount. Indeed, it is pretty hard to go buy a watch in an AD when you can get it for 30% less with the full warranty.
    Moreover it seems that it is common practices for ADs to make some discounts, especially on brands and models that aren't so hot.

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 4, 2019

Right, so, if one wants gray market discounts one should buy gray market. If one wants AD discounts they should go AD...If one want to buy OB and get all the benefits, warranties and peace of mind that go with that one should buy OB.

What does not make sense to me is got o the OB and request Gray prices with AD warranties (for example)

Set your budget and your expectation in line and then seek what meets that. don't try to shuffle things around against grain. This is the same for people that want a high end watch but don't like that servicing a watch costs xx amount of money. Service and it's costs are PART of a luxury watch, not an unexpected add on.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 4, 2019

I'm pretty sure I've read of people getting discounts at an OB. It's not against the law to ask for one, so my view is ask away - if they say no that's their choice, and you have the option of paying up, or letting them know that you will get the watch somewhere else if they won't deal.

jsducote and Swissmister like this.
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 4, 2019

Of course. I have gotten discounts at both Omega and Rolex on Boutiques. There is nothing wrong with asking, it's the expectation that seems a little off putting to me.

S

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 4, 2019

If you have received discounts at boutiques, why would it be off putting to expect them?

16. Swissmister Jun 4, 2019

I expect and ask for discounts pretty much everywhere if I'm spending significant money. But I only buy watches used. I have yet to figure out why people pay retail. I know, I know, you can get a warranty, etc. For the money you save, you could cover service costs and much more. Don't get me started on car buying.

As for WHY I would feel it's ok to ask for a discount: (no one is entitled to anything. wrong word) If I can buy the exact item for 30 percent less elsewhere, I expect sellers to be competitive if possible. If they can't lower their margin, so be it. No one is the worse for wear.

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 4, 2019

Because one thing is to ask, and the other thing is to expect it to the extent that you may resent it.

I have services a watch for a couple of hundred dollars in the past. I can ask you if you will meet that price point even though I know I am knocking on your door because you are giving me a superior service and result I have at the lower price. do I then "expect" you will give me the discount, or do I "hope" for it and accept that sometimes, you just have to accept the price of what you want, hope for the best and accept what it is.

But as I say, that is just me.

18. To the moon Jun 4, 2019

After 3 purchases from Patek you will get an invite to the factory....

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 4, 2019

Well your target keeps moving, so it's difficult to understand what it is you are really having issues with when it went quickly from not understanding why people even "ask" for discounts, then saying people shouldn't "expect" discounts, and now people shouldn't "expect to the extent you may resent it".

So if I understand this last one, your issue is with people who get upset because they expect a discount, and don't get one? So not really an issue if you simply ask for one, or expect one without getting upset?

To be completely analogous to the situation you are describing with boutiques, you would have either had to have information that I have provided discounts to people in the past (as people have said they have had with boutiques) or you would have had to have a discount from me personally before (as you have already said you have gotten with boutiques). Since that doesn't happen, having an expectation of one would be odd, unlike with buying at a boutique.

This reasoning also assumes that other selling venues for watches can't give "superior service and result" at a lower price and that's not true either. I have bought from AD's with discounts and have received stellar service.

20. ckamp Jun 4, 2019

I know someone who spends 50k+ CAD /yr at the official boutique.
    5% discount. But he probably doesn't need it.

They do however fly him around the world for free omega events.