Forums Latest Members

Omega Apollo XVII 45th anniversary

1. SoyuzPilot Jan 29, 2021

I've decided to hunt down one of these to add to my collection.
    Any owners or former owners have any thoughts on the Steel (311.30.42.30.03.001) vs. Gold (311.63.42.30.03.001)? I've seen the steel in real life and it looks amazing, haven't seen the gold myself yet. I generally prefer unworn but I guess finding that in the gold may be tricky, so that may have to be steel. Any gold owners have an issue with scratching?
    Thanks all!

2. Alfista88 Jan 29, 2021

The steel Apollo 17 45th is one of a very, very small handful of 1861 Speedmasters that comes equipped with an on-the-fly easy adjustment clasp.

If you like the previous generations' bracelet design (I personally do!), I'd opt for the Steel. You'll see Omega release 3861 Speedmasters that have a combination of gold case + leather strap in future limited editions.

But it might be a very, very long time before we see a new Speedy Pro with this combo of non-taper bracelet + adjustable clasp.

SoyuzPilot likes this.
  3. SoyuzPilot Jan 31, 2021

I hadn't realised that - thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Surprised there are not more owners out there talking them up!

4. dwboston Jan 31, 2021

I had the steel version for a little while - it's a much better looking watch in person than in photos. There's a lot to like about the watch - the adjustable clasp (as mentioned above), the gold accents against the blue dial, the ceramic bezel and dial. I already had the Gemini 4 LE so I sold it after 6 months or so. There was a decent amount of interest in this watch on the forum a few years back - I think a lot of folks liked the watch but were turned off by the Apollo rendering on the 9 o'clock subdial.

SoyuzPilot likes this.
  5. stevec14 Feb 1, 2021

I had the watch too. It’s so much better in the flesh.

2 things that ended up getting on my nerves a bit. The 9pm subdial and also that the subdials were printed so the dial was flat. Other than that, it was a great watch and I’m not surprised these are a bit more difficult to find now.

has a number of things you won’t find elsewhere on 1861’s. Adjustable clasp, ceramic dial, ceramic bezel etc. A nice piece but quite flashy

dwboston and SoyuzPilot like this.
  6. apbb2 Feb 1, 2021

@SoyuzPilot I was going to possibly part with mine. I have way to many speedy's & don't rotate them well but @Alfista88 may have changed my mind :)

Seriously I may be interested to part with it. DM me if interested. Thanks

SoyuzPilot likes this.
  7. SoyuzPilot Feb 1, 2021

Thanks - you mentioned most of the things I like about the watch. I'm quite a fan of the (small!) rendering, though the 40th anniversary issue is just way too much!

8. SoyuzPilot Feb 1, 2021

Good point on the flat dial printing.. shame.

9. SoyuzPilot Feb 1, 2021

I know your pain. I've still to part with any Omega I've bought, though some of the early LCDs that I've never actually worn really have to go...

10. apbb2 Feb 1, 2021

Just found my self a birth year Speedy manufactured on my actual birthday so looking to fund it. I have only sold one Speedy years ago & I still think about it, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

SoyuzPilot likes this.
  11. SoyuzPilot Mar 31, 2021

Thanks for your input here, folks, very much appreciated. I managed to find a virtually unworn Apollo XVII. That blue dial is pure bliss!!

18044735-08o8kumvjy56awfp6lsoc2va-Zoom.jpg
  12. Dedlock Apr 2, 2021

I'm an owner of the steel version, its quite a catch of a speedmaster and taking into account the novelties in this watch are going to come and huge premiums going forward it is well worth the effort obtaining it if you are a fan of its dial.

I was looking for a blue dial watch for quite some time and i guess it was serendipitous i managed to land this brand new.

The watch comes with a ceramic bezel and dial, the blue its a very unique shade of blue i would call it ink blue or cobalt blue and the gold accents not only compliments the dial but also makes the dial legible in some flashy shades of light. Yes the dial looks flashy but not excessively so and in my eyes its one of the more underrated speedmaster dials out there.

The cameo insignia of apollo at 9:00 was something I find appealing, but for those who don't there is no avoiding it.

For me the watch checked all the boxes and blue speedmasters are not very common to come by let alone blue ceramic dialed and bezel speedmasters.

Here are some photos, hope this helps

Edit

didte reslize how far back this post dated, congratulations on landing it and hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

inCollage_20210402_084049928.jpg

Edited Apr 2, 2021
  13. zkramez Apr 2, 2021

SO NICE! I need one haha

14. Rado63 Apr 2, 2021

I would say the uniqueness of the dial and bezel make the watch. It is really something different. To me that would be a watch to consider.

SoyuzPilot likes this.