Forums Latest Members

Possible value Omega Apollo XVII 45 anniversary

1. JohnDoe Feb 28, 2018

Hi to everone,

I'm thinking about buying the Omega Apollo XVII 45th anniversary (ref. 311.30.42.30.03.001) stainless steel version, because I can't afford to get the gold one. :( As I would buy this watch as a kind of investment, I'm interested in your expert opinion (I know that probably most of you have no magic 8-ball which tells the future) if the value of the watch might go up in time. From what I read so far in the forums, most watches, if handled with care will not lose value, but do you think about this specific one.
    I know there is a 40th anniversary watch, but couldn't find out if this went up, stayed the same or lost some value..

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

JD

2. khanmu Feb 28, 2018

The Apollo 17 40th was quite an idiosyncratic watch - the silver dial wasn’t to everyone’s taste, and I’m not sure the values rose much if at all. A shop I know still has one for sale.. I had one and sold it last month, I made about a £1k on it, but I did manage to buy it quite cheap...

The 45th might be better as it more of a mainstream look, but it’s always a bit of a gamble with LEs, especially the non Apollo 11 ones...Have you considered a Speedmaster Trilogy, Speedy Tuesday or even a Tin Tin?

JohnDoe and sdre like this.
  3. stevec14 Mar 1, 2018

It’s very hard to know whether it will go up or not. I have one, and love it. I guess the pros are that it uses materials different to many other 42mm speedmasters, looks great (to me) and the gold gives a different look. The cons are that some may find it to busy and blingy.

The key is to buy what you like without worrying about future value. If it goes up it’s a bonus. I wouldn’t expect to take a huge downward hit on this one though.

JohnDoe likes this.
  4. RLF13430 Mar 1, 2018

It is in demand, several nice pieces for sale on the grey market at what is probably a fairly good margin for the seller (if bought new from an AD or OB). And as far as I could recently find out, the OB inventory of the ST is completely sold out so it should hold its value.

JohnDoe likes this.
  5. sgrossma Mar 1, 2018

It has its pros and cons.
    I think it will hold its value okay, but I don't think it will do as well as some other LEs.
    Just my guess

JohnDoe likes this.
  6. JohnDoe Mar 1, 2018

Thanks for the reply. Regarding your proposed Omegas, I looked at them at the first two look ok to good, theTin Tin is not my type. I‘m just saying that because I would only buy a watch I really find beautiful to look at and wear, but these are not that type of watch. If I buy the Apollo XVII and its value will not increase, I can still wear the watch, but this being my second plan.

@stevec14: Your are probably right, as I said above, I really like the look of both (ss and gold) editions and if its values goes to zero, I‘ll just wear it.

7. stevec14 Mar 2, 2018

I agree with your points. I guess one thing to bear in mind is where the greys price up on their website is not necessarily where they sell at and certainly not where they buy at.

That said, I do believe it will keep its value ok.

8. teojjsg Mar 5, 2018

Once you have it on your wrist, you will not bear to sell it.

9. stevec14 Mar 6, 2018

That is true. Am enjoying mine today!

8948938A-34EA-4726-87C9-D225EEB51A84.jpeg