Forums Latest Members

Omega Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Moonwatch Gold and Steel. Any in the wild yet?

1. petay993 Sep 1, 2019

I was told by my Omega OB that their regional rep thought they were about 1/3 of the way through the worldwide delivery cycle.

That's 2300 delivered and 23 for sale so 1% of the delivered watches are listed by flippers attracted by a potential 3k premium.

Yep you must be right, nobody likes them :thumbsup:

stuart70 and A J like this.
  2. Tik-Tok of Oz Sep 1, 2019

Small rant here:

I am feeling like the speculation on this watch, regarding the stainless steel model, is going the way of the 2016 blue CK 2998. I had one. Sold It for less than retail. Some of these limited edition watches catch fire (Snoopy, ST-1), and some don’t.

By any reasonable definition we are spending a lot of money on what is a luxury item, not a necessity. For most of us speculation on watch value is foolish. I believe that, over time, if you buy what you love, you will never have lost anything because the item brings enjoyment which itself has a value.

But I’m not sure time will be working against them or any of us over many years either. I have sat out the last three years and it seems the luxury watch market as a whole is growing more expensive. (It costs more to obtain a 2019 Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005 today than in 2016 when I bought one) It stands to reason that over time a slow appreciation in terms of value will happen.

But some people have FOMO and if they just have to have something and have the means they will overpay.
    But if you like something and can afford it, buy it. Don’t sweat the appreciation.

The above is only my opinion.

clockyg, YY77, A J and 1 other person like this.
  3. rominvicta Sep 1, 2019

Perhaps I was not clear enough. Time works against short term speculators. Goes without saying that on a long term basis any watch at the level being an LE would appreciate. But if you want to buy at MSRP and did not manage to get your turn at an AD, then better wait a couple of months more. I believe January to March 2020 would be great time to make such purchase.

Tik-Tok of Oz, JesterP and Archer like this.
  4. petay993 Sep 1, 2019

I lost a little on the CK2998 also. Having said that any watch that holds on to 80 - 90% of it's rrp over a couple of years and regular wear is pretty good in my book, the Rolex situation is distorting expectations.

If my 50th was to return me list or thereabouts in 5 years (hypothetically as it's a keeper) then I will be perfectly content.

There will be plenty of these pieces listed over the coming months in exactly the same way as for the last few Speedy LE's, people feel very clever when they make easy money flipping a watch and these days everybody is a wannabe grey marketeer!

A J, JesterP and rominvicta like this.
  5. Fatcat Sep 1, 2019

For me the 50th anniversary is special , the was some of the LE ( Tintin, snoopy ,45th,40) tant at the begginnung they where in OB for months without be sold and now the skyrocketing prices , the 50th is enough different and special will see in the coming months .

6. Tik-Tok of Oz Sep 1, 2019

In the short term I totally agree with there being a short term dip in resale value, in particular if it was worn.

7. Evitzee Sep 1, 2019

There are five shown on Chrono24 from the USA ranging from $13,000 to $16,500, with an average of $14,750. No idea how many of these will sell at what seems to be a pretty steep premium (about 40%) over MSRP + sales tax. This is natural, it always happens, then things will settle down. People are just testing the waters to see if someone comes forward that just has to have one, even at an inflated price. I suspect this edition will hold close to its retail price long term, but the market will determine its price fate.

There is a well respected dealer who has had a brand new one for $12,375 for a few weeks now, still available it seems.

rominvicta likes this.
  8. petay993 Sep 1, 2019

I would be amazed if this went below list but lets watch and see over the next 12 months

9. jcz5 Sep 2, 2019

I will be very surprised if this watch will still sells for a premium when it’s all said and delivered. It is a very cool iteration of the speedmaster. But I’m sure a good amount of it was purchased for the sole purchase of resell. And when everyone resells, watch the price come crashing down.

10. petay993 Sep 2, 2019

Good solid research there Bro, nice job :confused:

Evitzee, EricCsN, A J and 1 other person like this.
  11. petay993 Sep 2, 2019

The other bonus of ownership apart from the stunning wrist presence is that I am now guaranteed on the "list" for the Snoopy 50th and I can't wait to see what they come up with!

Was out at my local curry place last night and the Manager and staff were going crazy over the watch, far more reaction than when I wear any Rolex and the Manager apologised but said he felt compelled to to ask me how much it had cost which surprised me as he has never done that before. When I told him he seemed taken aback that it was "so little for such a watch"

A J, EricCsN and Kingkongsfinger like this.
  12. jcz5 Sep 2, 2019

Thanks bro, appreciate it ;)

STANDY likes this.
  13. jcz5 Sep 2, 2019

Interesting this piece has gotten more compliments than any of my others as well! Enjoy it my friend!

EFF5F04D-D03E-4BCA-97CA-7BF3DC746D4A.jpeg
    EricCsN, Kingkongsfinger and petay993 like this.
  14. EricCsN Sep 2, 2019

Me too. And i am going to get 2 snoopys this time. One for me, the other for my snoopy fan Wife who insisted she must have one.

Edited Sep 2, 2019
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 2, 2019

FIFY

Tik-Tok of Oz and EricCsN like this.
  16. A J Sep 2, 2019

My wife likes mine more than any other watch I own and she has good taste after all, she picked me. :whistling: ::facepalm1::

Riadhk likes this.
  17. petay993 Sep 2, 2019

I see you upgraded your avatar AJ. Think I preferred the "moody axe murderer" look of your old one!

18. A J Sep 2, 2019

Not the Joker look? :D

19. Stufflers Mom Sep 2, 2019

Looks ten years younger.

20. A J Sep 2, 2019

That would be sixty two. :)