Forums Latest Members

Omega Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Moonwatch Gold and Steel. Any in the wild yet?

1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 27, 2019

Start a thread guys, ( not just the two above linked I mean all that start flipper talk in the middle of a watch thread ) keep this stuff out of every thread about the 50th.

Now every few pages we get the flippers talk and profit margins

Made a thread

https://omegaforums.net/threads/tal...in-every-thread-about-the-watch-itself.99242/

Edited Jul 27, 2019
  2. Stufflers Mom Jul 27, 2019

That's very true. In my case I didn't ask for a penny, I simply told the dealer what I had and they offered £10K

3. Civic4982 Jul 27, 2019

4CC1937E-8ED6-4A1C-BE91-23261A0DF1B4.jpeg F22C7842-8C8E-4EA0-996D-37ADA77AD6A2.jpeg
    Ya know. I think there’s a lot of hype around this but 7000 watches is a whole lot. It’s a big event but there’s only so many buyers willing to pay the secondary market premium.

I might’ve gotten out with £2500 but what if o didn’t and ended up with some hassle just to unload a watch I never really enjoyed.

Perhaps I’ll be wrong and I should’ve kept on the list for another few grand in my pocket. I knew making the decision to walk away from it would end up having some regrets on some profits but plenty of times in my watch hobby it’s been good to me. Hopefully it’ll be good to whatever person for my slot.

In the meanwhile I really enjoyed seeing one tonight.

MTROIS likes this.
  4. MTROIS Jul 28, 2019

Its all good! It is just a watch and you will both make someone happier.... and, as you said, you may still end up with one.
    Important to trust your guts too sometimes.

5. EricCsN Jul 28, 2019

Because there is bewildering choice out there, there will always be a need to take decisions, and sometimes having to deal with those emotional episodes of Whatifs .. of potential Buyers’ Regret vs Sellers’ Remorse.
    And so long as it is not the case where the one that got away is the one that you walk away from (- and I am one of those who will not pay premium over MSRP for a modern watch including for Any ROLEX) ...

Edited Jul 28, 2019
  6. Stufflers Mom Jul 28, 2019

I'm fully with you on this, paying over the odds for something is not anything I would consider, but as we know there are those who have FOMO and simply can't do without.

EricCsN likes this.
  7. Robbyman Jul 28, 2019

Pictures don’t do this watch justice. Even my wife who is not into watches said it is stunning.

EB50E25D-8D6C-4D8B-B450-EE6307D75ED1.jpeg 701580D7-6210-46E7-8BA3-C96078DE5DA2.jpeg
  8. abrod520 Jul 28, 2019

It really doesn't look very good in photos compared to the experience on the wrist. Pretty frustrating to catch it in great light only to have it get washed out when I try to take a photo. But I suppose it's a different aim than the Speedy Tuesday models for instance, which while being designed with the vintage nuts in mind, also seem to be optimized for good photography. They were born on Instagram after all...

Caliber561 and srleadjb like this.
  9. Longbow Jul 28, 2019

So how did you take these photos (which camera, indoors/outdoors, any post processing) because these two pictures come closest to how I remember seeing it live on my wrist. Every photo I took seemed to result in the dial turning blue and the rest having a rather ugly yellow/green cast.

10. Robbyman Jul 28, 2019

In a coffee shop with an IPhone!

Longbow likes this.
  11. MTK1919 Jul 28, 2019

I got a magical call today that I really wasn't expecting.

I was about 5 days late at leaving my details for this watch at a Omega Boutique in Dubai. The guy who took my details said the UAE list was in the 100s. Fast forward to the Platinum announcement last week and I gave the shop a call to enquire and reminded them of my interest in the Steel & Gold. I got talking to a really nice guy who made sure all my details were registered, then chatting on WhatsApp a short time later to confirm (my fears) that I was unlikely to be in the market for the platinum given the price. In any case I said I was still 100% interested in the S&G 50th, and he said he'd do what he could.

Turns out he has. I was invited today to go and leave a deposit upon instruction from their head office for an expected September delivery.

So a 20% down-payment was made in person promptly and now I can look forward to this stunning watch. I'm in two minds whether or not to keep my standard hesalite moonwatch, given this arrival. I'm also going to part ways with my Speedmaster Racing which I just haven't bonded with.

stevec14 and Aludic like this.
  12. guaranteed.rohu Jul 28, 2019

Press-release pieces are available, typically with blocked movements (although not always), from the Omega boutique - which is what anthony.do_ and others are taking photos of (I would assume). They obviously would not sell these as they would likely have minor scratches and such - but likewise hodinkee and other sits don't want to publish photos of watches wrapped entirely in plastic.

13. bazderome Jul 29, 2019

Got mine in Dubai on the 21st of July :D Watch is stunning you won't regret !
    20190724_231317.jpg

efthi, CTS-V, EricCsN and 3 others like this.
  14. Stufflers Mom Jul 29, 2019

Very nice watch, but if I had a £1 for every photo I've seen with the protective plastic covers on the watch I would be able to buy another with the proceeds.

Civic4982 and srleadjb like this.
  15. Kingkongsfinger Jul 29, 2019

Looks beautiful, cant wait for the call.
    I personally will be walking out the OB with it on my wrist.

YY77 likes this.
  16. MTK1919 Jul 29, 2019

Looks great. Agree with the last quote though..... Get that plastic off and enjoy it!

How long did you wait after leaving a deposit? You must have been one of the first in the UAE!

17. Stufflers Mom Jul 29, 2019

Good for you, I'm due to collect mine tomorrow or Wednesday and then it's straight off to the dealer as there's something I want to buy that I will wear but it's pricey for what it is and this will help to off set the cost.

18. Japanred Jul 29, 2019

Obviously this is a newbie question but what’s the harm in someone else looking at the watch (obviously I can see why you wouldn’t want them removing stickers etc or playing with buttons etc).

Also, why the need for gloves?

Not being funny by the way. Genuine questions.

Cheers.

19. Evitzee Jul 29, 2019

Gloves are for image, started a few years ago to give the image of precious cargo. Overblown imo.

A sold watch waiting for pickup shouldn't be wound, worn or played with, but I have no problem with a dealer pulling it out of the safe and showing it to someone, maybe they are a potential customer for the next one, or just an interested collector.

20. Japanred Jul 29, 2019

Yeah that’s my thoughts too. Wouldn’t mind someone else seeing it but don’t think I’d insist on gloves.