Forums Latest Members

Omega Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Moonwatch Gold and Steel. Any in the wild yet?

1. waveguide Jul 17, 2019

Has anyone seen more than two of the 1014 all-gold edition surface in the forums? I've seen one from one of our German colleagues and Robert-Jan.

2. A11general Jul 17, 2019

Thanks to
    Thanks to you and others for the info. Didn’t mean to step on anyone’s toes. Admittedly, I’m new to watch collecting (less than 2 years) and this is going to be my first new Omega (I own one other Omega watch - birth year Seamaster). Should have gotten on this forum before I paid in full to temper my expectations.

Just sad that many other companies were able to get their commemorative products out in time like Montegrappa, Fisher Spacepen, US Mint, Zippo, Lego et al. but not Omega. I know watches are much more complicated to manufacture so ... I guess I’ll mark the event with my other Apollo 11th memorabilia sans watch.

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 17, 2019

The Moonwatch contains parts for outside vendors, so that is an added complication when compared to the list of other manufacturers you provided. But realistically pumping out 8,000 watches while still maintaining their regular model production is a bit of a chore. The 60th Anniversary/ Trilogy watches took over a year before they were all delivered, and even the full Trilogy sets were no quicker. And there are many other LE watches where deposits, and even full amounts, were taken that took many, many months to deliver.

I would have loved to have been proven wrong with this particular LE, especially since part of the attraction for some buys was having the watch on the wrist on the actual anniversary, but honestly it seemed like a pipe dream to me. Thankfully at least 10% or so will have them.

4. rafabond Jul 17, 2019

omega as always slowly distributing the first pieces to give that false expectation. He has done it in the past, there are 7,000 pieces, there will be for everyone. and with a cost of € 9,100 .... not everyone can spend that money.

5. petay993 Jul 17, 2019

If it drags on I will lose interest.

srleadjb likes this.
  6. Evitzee Jul 17, 2019

And then what? Give up your spot on the list? I doubt more than 5-10% will cancel their order.

As previously mentioned many companies were able to design, manufacture and distribute their 50th anniversary products, yet Omega couldn't. Omega has gotten over 50 years of advertising copy out of their association with NASA and space flight, especially the moon missions. The company makes about 800k watches a year, so the total run of the anniversary series is about 1% of annual production. I have a hard time believing this couldn't have been easily planned for so all watches would have been delivered before the July 20th date. Yet we are in for another drip-drip-drip of delivery over many months.

Edited Jul 17, 2019
  7. rafabond Jul 17, 2019

Omega Speedmaster 60th anniversary, are new at a lower price than what they were in AD. and there were half of the pieces.

8. petay993 Jul 17, 2019

That piece, although a faithful and carefully worked replication of the first Speedmaster, suffers the same problem with residuals as any Speedy LE which is not based on the classic Moonwatch case. CK2998 1 and 2 and FOIS spring to mind.

It is however a lovely watch and one I feel will eventually appreciate in value given time

9. EricCsN Jul 17, 2019

Then it is lust not love. To me no doubt about it, it is a grail speedmaster.

10. petay993 Jul 17, 2019

You may be right....on both counts!

One of my personality traits is that I am short on patience.

11. EricCsN Jul 17, 2019

what i said on the Facebook owners group, this truly a grail Speedmaster to me :
    ceramic dial, gold, 60’s bracelet, 60’s dot over ninety, II on hour marker, hacking second feature, new modern movement - co axial, high anti mag, highly accurate, METAS certified, NAIAD lock, Laser etching, Neil’s immortal words, NASA box, the history which is significant (50 years) and the value (prices are higher than MSRP). 6969 May sounds high until you realised that the 1000? pieces in America is probably not going to be widely resold (patriotic reason?) and it is hotly valued. To me omega has put everything they had into this one model.

cjb169 likes this.
  12. petay993 Jul 17, 2019

Ok, Ok I will stay in line;)

13. Evitzee Jul 17, 2019

Have no idea how old you are, but as you age you will get more patient. It just doesn't make sense to be real impatient, it just uses up energy that you could better deploy elsewhere. Based on what the small number of owners have said about the watch it will be worth it to just hang in there.

14. srleadjb Jul 17, 2019

Thank you, sir! That post single handily reinvigorated my excitement and enthusiasm for this piece.

Stu-Silver and EricCsN like this.
  15. speedypants Jul 18, 2019

I’ve had my Moonwatch for a few days now and in the spirit of keeping the excitement going, I took a few more pics of my 50th. Sharing some here hope you guys enjoy! This watch is a JOY to just look at, let alone wearing it! ::popcorn::

7757D6FC-A40D-4384-884A-424A2AA60CD1.jpeg 4D3EC3F5-A521-4403-A5B6-95955C2A55A7.jpeg 6B607AD0-7D17-4815-A45B-8AB480C32941.jpeg D1F49118-911C-4AB8-9BD6-FCE83DDE6AE0.jpeg
  16. Stu-Silver Jul 18, 2019

It is a very inspiring post!

17. Stu-Silver Jul 18, 2019

Great photos, the extras that come with this watch are very nice and the watch holder is such a great touch.

speedypants likes this.
  18. hkhobo Jul 18, 2019

recevied a mixed response from Omega shops in Hong Kong. One has tried to call me , so will call them back in the morning, am crossign fingers on that one.

Others have had three say we have put you on the waiting list ( I have asked what number i am on them) and other 3 have said nope we dont have any do you want this apollo 8 speedy instead. ( they must have a few of those for some reason)

19. EricCsN Jul 18, 2019

I don’t want to sound like a wet blanket but your chances of securing one now from OB or AD are practically zero, unless you happen to see it at an airport or you have earlier made a deposit.

20. hkhobo Jul 18, 2019

Yeah i think you are probably right, my hope is that with the number of HK Omega shops and retailers is that i get lucky. I REALLY wish i had hit submit last year for the news letter on the omega site.