Forums Latest Members

Omega Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Moonwatch Gold and Steel. Any in the wild yet?

1. stevec14 Jul 9, 2019

It’s perfectly possible. Harrods contacted me about another harrods Black bay 2 weeks after picking mine up! (I was nice and told them their error btw).

Depends how good their records are I guess.

2. MTROIS Jul 9, 2019

Always possible in theory, but unlikely (since you got one)... and hopefully impossible (if Omega does its screening job and since all watches are supposedly allocated).
    But as we can see here, some are still on the fence so may be a number will eventually be released again. Who know.... let's keep enjoying the pictures....

3. stevec14 Jul 9, 2019

And a good number will be flippers waiting for the market. If they decide no, there will be lots more. I can see that happening if the release is over a number of months and the secondary is soft.

4. Pepe Lucas Jul 9, 2019

I’m going to give my son mine when he graduates from college. But I’m pretty sure he is not going to mind if I wear it from time to time before that happens.

5. MTROIS Jul 9, 2019

...I would even argue that adding your DNA will increase (dramatically) the sentimental value of the watch. If your son disagrees, disown him and sell the watch. Easy! :D

Edited Jul 9, 2019
    jpjsavage likes this.
  6. Pepe Lucas Jul 9, 2019

I know right? I really like to wear my watches. I don’t like to baby them. Every scar tells a story. At least that’s what I think.

Redadmiral2, time flies and MTROIS like this.
  7. Longbow Jul 9, 2019

8. MTROIS Jul 9, 2019

9. PKWU Jul 9, 2019

This is Buzz Aldrin , photographed by Neil Armstrong

So the man on the dial is the second man on the moon...not first...

10. jpjsavage Jul 10, 2019

I agree with this. The 50th anniversary watches have a great story behind them and several of my children have expressed a huge interest in these (unlike other watches I own). Great job Omega!

Riadhk likes this.
  11. jpjsavage Jul 10, 2019

I think you're completely wrong on that front. They are different watches, for sure, but my two sons (18 and 24) have both really engaged with these 50th anniversary pieces in way which they haven't with my trusted and treasured 16610.

stevec14 likes this.
  12. jpjsavage Jul 10, 2019

Next to zero.

13. jpjsavage Jul 10, 2019

Anyone seen any solid gold pieces for sale?

14. stevec14 Jul 10, 2019

That’s fine, and you clearly are very interested in the history etc. And that filters down to your kids which is great. There are many less so (or who know less about it) and I suspect the answer may be different. Horses for courses I guess....

15. jpjsavage Jul 10, 2019

My point was that the Apollo 11 moon landing has a resonance with the general (non-Swiss watch buying) public and this enhances the desirability of a fine watch before we even consider the legacy of the Speedmaster in general and how this relates to the actual missions.

Redadmiral2 likes this.
  16. Redadmiral2 Jul 10, 2019

8 days to the moon and back bbc2 9 pm tonight

Ian_km, Bp1000 and Martin_J_N like this.
  17. Martin_J_N Jul 10, 2019

I would like to agree with you but my two boys (28 & 24) have absolutely no interest in this historic event at all, they are both very much looking at today's issues rather than those that happened before they were born, with only Remembrance Day getting any recognition as they do understand what is going on and why.

Unfortunately both have no interest in any of my watches, my youngest will wear a watch but it has to be a smart watch linked to his phone or a rugged Casio that he wears when out biking. The eldest refuses to wear a watch at all he doesn't see the point of watches, if he wants to know the time he will look at his phone, I hope as he gets older this view changes as he will inherit some of my watches.

18. LeonDeBayonne Jul 10, 2019

I concur. I also must admit that most people aged c.25 or less I know have no particular interest in 1969 moonlanding and watches. They reckon the importance of the event and the beauty of some watches, but it's simply not their part of history and their obsession. It may be different in other societies (like emerging countries) where watches may still symbolize success / wealth, but in my environment (Western Europe) I do not see/feel any particular interest among young people.

stevec14 likes this.
  19. EricCsN Jul 10, 2019

I am not so sure, on Facebook omega owner groups there are quite a crowd of young people in W.E. who enjoys them

20. redzer007 Jul 10, 2019

My western European 7 year old year daughter is totally obsessed with Space and NASA (I push ESA too) and likes watches too. Don't know where she got it from. (Actually the space thing is all her)

Riadhk and EricCsN like this.