Forums Latest Members

Omega Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Moonwatch Gold and Steel. Any in the wild yet?

1. dscoogs Jul 9, 2019

Very nice watch, and pic. Remind me of - from the Smithsonian Apollo Moon Shot TV series:

000.jpg

00.jpg

A J likes this.
  2. Stufflers Mom Jul 9, 2019

GeorgeBailey2 likes this.
  3. Redadmiral2 Jul 9, 2019

The fact that it is a bit quirky and I remember the event as a young boy watching it with my father makes me forgive the watch design. To me it’s got more credibility as a limited edition than any other omega moon watch.
    It’s got street cred and omega haven’t actually got into full swing with the marketing with this watch yet

4. A J Jul 9, 2019

I was 21 and remember dozing in the armchair as this clanger-like figure appeared on a fuzzy TV screen.

petay993 likes this.
  5. stevec14 Jul 9, 2019

I think it has a market for sure but I do wonder if it will have any street cred with the under 50’s who didn’t witness or know the event. Many, I assume. won’t be able to get past the sub dial if they want a watch to wear. It looks a little like the Apollo 17 that I had.

Let’s see - I like it/I don’t like it. The more I see it, the more I lean on the side of passing for now anyway....at least at 7.5k

Edited Jul 9, 2019
  6. Evitzee Jul 9, 2019

Your passing is someone else's win.

7. Redadmiral2 Jul 9, 2019

I’d
    my son is 26 years old and has developed a fetish for watches.
    When he saw me ordering the watch he was green with envy and gets what the watch is all about.
    He also want a Rolex submariner and gets what they are all about.and he’s got an eye on a Tudor blackbay 58 because he thinks it looks retro.and now some of his friends have started showing an interest.
    I don’t think the age gap will dull the lust for nice watches.

jpjsavage and drhombus24 like this.
  8. stevec14 Jul 9, 2019

We’ll see. I’m not sure the hunger of this watch when it’s fully out and about will be as much as many think.

Either way, you are right - yes it will, as I won’t buy to flip. I’ll let it go.....cheers

9. stevec14 Jul 9, 2019

I bet he’d prefer the sub to the omega if given the choice. Just saying.

I agree, the age gap won’t dull the lust. I just wonder if this falls in the category of what most younger folk would call a nice watch. If you are young and don’t know the Apollo thing, would you think it was a good looking watch next to it’s contenders?

Shoot me down if you like, but this historic stuff is great but of little consequence to the majority who buy watches (at least in this price range).

10. stevec14 Jul 9, 2019

I should add, my son loves watches and he’s 13, but he doesn’t like this one.

11. MTROIS Jul 9, 2019

May be we should have an OF waiting list in case people who have an allocation bail.... with the understanding that the watch would be sold at RRP from member to member...

Just sayin'

12. Redadmiral2 Jul 9, 2019

He treated himself to the Omega Seamaster last month it’s his first proper watch if you know what I mean.
    He wears it for work and he’s a policeman and doesn't baby it.
    But I was pretty amazed at the amount of knowledge he has about rolexes

13. Redadmiral2 Jul 9, 2019

I received my watch from the boutique but I also registered by email direct to omega,
    What are the chances of getting another

14. MTROIS Jul 9, 2019

I was referring to other members who have an allocation and are waiting to see the watch IRL before making up their final mind. At that point, they can either give up the watch at the Boutique and get their deposit back (if any), or they could secure it for another OF member who is set to get one.
    Just a suggestion.

15. Evitzee Jul 9, 2019

Slim, I would say, unless you have a very solid purchase history from the boutique.

I WOULD SUGGEST THAT PEOPLE WHO HAVE RECEIVED THEIR WATCHES PLEASE PUT YOUR LOCATION DOWN SO WE HAVE A BETTER IDEA OF WHICH MARKETS ARE GETTING THEIR ALLOTMENT. WILL BE MORE MEANINGFUL TO ALL.

16. stevec14 Jul 9, 2019

Yes, but they run the risk of no one picking it up and doing money on it if they buy to sell for someone else. The boutique would go to the next on the list.

In principal a great idea however.

17. MTROIS Jul 9, 2019

I already have an allocation and am going to wait until I see the watch to decide if I want it or not.
    I was just suggesting the OF waiting list in case some of the members are really set on getting one but have no allocation so far. The whole purpose of the forum is to have that "honor system" for well established members. This would also prevent ad nauseam discussions about people making a quick profit on the back of the community.

jpjsavage, srleadjb and stuart70 like this.
  18. MTROIS Jul 9, 2019

Look, I totally get the idea that there is an inherent risk... but that risk should be alleviated when dealing with another member here.
    Anyhow, this was just a suggestion so no big deal.

19. stevec14 Jul 9, 2019

Yep agreed - see my post previous however.

I’m in the same boat as you....

MTROIS likes this.
  20. Redadmiral2 Jul 9, 2019

Yes I understand your point I just wondered if it’s possible that omeg May contact me to say they have a watch for me after registering an interest with them