Forums Latest Members

Omega Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Moonwatch Gold and Steel. Any in the wild yet?

1. stevec14 Jul 7, 2019

My AD said the same. Maybe mine will turn up too then. I don’t hold out too much hope as I suspect Ad’s will be last in the food chain but let’s see. It will be a pleasant surprise if omega do it well this time after a few less than great release distributions recently.

Of course, it may just be your boutiques allocation and not all 7000 watches....

2. snarkq Jul 7, 2019

You are all very optimistic about Omega delivering. One merely has to look to the past to form an opinion here. Several of us had to wait an entire year to get the ST1 delivered after the first units started rolling off. Omega deliveries for LEs have almost always had a 3 to 6 month spread. That is normal life. Coordinating a massive release of 6k units over 14 days would be an outlier to say the least.

repoman and stevec14 like this.
  3. srleadjb Jul 7, 2019

I have a boutique full deposit at arguabley one of the busiest stores in Los Angeles. They sold 14 of the steel. Not sure about the gold. It will be interesting to see if they come prior to the 20th. The manager at my store made it sound like Omega was delivering to customers in the order they received the deposits. That doesn't seem to make sense as they would have to shotgun them all over to do it in order. It would make more sense to send them in bulk to the boutiques with the most sold first, then down the list? Hmmmm.

4. redzer007 Jul 7, 2019

We will get a good idea of how the production is going by keeping and eye on the issue numbers, I think the highest so far is somewhere around 5xx - not enough data yet for any guess work. Will be interesting to see the numbers that pop up in US first, and Asia or Oz etc. My bet it highest reported number prior to anniversary will be below 3xxx

5. Redadmiral2 Jul 7, 2019

Mine is 54?

Speedys & Crypto likes this.
  6. SpeedyBasti Jul 7, 2019

Mine did arrive at the 01.07 at my German AD. I did not get a delivery date from him beforehand, and I was surprised to get it that early. I did receive number 4XX. My friend has put a deposit on the watch and was told to receive his in autumn.

7. briarworm Jul 7, 2019

anybody difinitively see if the bracelet fits on a standard speedy pro? I checked the thread and could not find mention of it.

8. Bp1000 Jul 7, 2019

It doesn’t

Where the bracelet pins meet the case there is an extra bar as part of the connection which prevents it from fitting to a standard moonwatch.

briarworm likes this.
  9. briarworm Jul 7, 2019

I don't like the answer, but thank you for the reply and explanation!

thewodg likes this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 7, 2019

I don't think that is necessarily correct. I think what you are seeing is a new ridge designed to prevent the end piece from rotating. It seems to fit the slight gap between case and caseback. I am not saying it will definitely fit, but I don't think this is the issue some assume. The new SMP has something similar. I looked at this closely when I handled the watch. It will become much clearer when someone posts a pic of the back on a strap rather then bracelet:
    IMG_3607.jpg

Edited Jul 7, 2019
    thewodg, briarworm and Longbow like this.
  11. Longbow Jul 7, 2019

Apologies for the “foreign invasion” but in the absence of anyone brave enough to disassemble their new acquisition I think these images show what I suspect has been done on the end link to case interface
    3CACC89C-1847-4816-B3CA-C29794DF0EBB.jpeg DFC042AE-15FF-4335-92A0-C4AFB6A9AF32.jpeg
    This doesn’t preclude the Apollo 11 end links fitting a regular Speedy Pro, but there is at least a risk that they won’t.

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 7, 2019

Yes that is possible. Like I added above, a shot of the back on the strap would be a big help in ruling that in or out.

Longbow and briarworm like this.
  13. Evitzee Jul 7, 2019

Well, this article certainly is good fun. First all the speculation on what it would look like, the price, the quantity and all the associated details, then the long and passionate discussion of the pros and cons of the actual watch and the two camps that formed (Like/Hate), then all the kerfuffle when the first one was flipped here on OF last week, now down to arguing when the bulk of the watches will be delivered. Omega never hinted that these would be delivered by July 20th, and the OB's and AD's still know little about delivery plans, yet many believe this will happen. Omega now seems to be in some sort of D-Day stance, ready to deploy 6,000 or so watches all over the world in the next two weeks because they have stockpiled all these watches in secure locations ready to push the button tomorrow, July 8th, to start the delivery process. We'll have to see what comes about over the next couple of weeks. I'd love to get a call from my OB manager this month saying it's ready to be collected, but yesterday she told me delivery would start later this month and continue through the end of the year. Maybe she's wrong and she'll get inundated with 20 or so watches this week from the USA mothership. If so, I'll be happy, but I don't expect it to happen.

From what I have understood from several Omega sources, at least for the USA, is that the boutiques will get served first with watches going to the buyer's with 100% deposits, based on order date. There is one individual at Omega USA who has the master list containing the buyer, the boutique, payment status and date. This list is based on their electronic sales system, when you bought the watch the boutique notified this planner of your purchase and your electronic receipt was captured so they know your customer number, name, address, phone number, amount paid and the date. As the watches are parceled out they will be sent to the boutique (or AD) with the client's name attached to that particular watch. Then the agent will contact the buyer for collection or mailing. If a boutique has sold 25 pieces over a period of time they will NOT get all of those in bulk, the distribution will be based on order date and full payment status on a USA wide basis. So an LA boutique may get one, then the next one to Houston, then Dallas, then NYC, etc. It's all based on the master list, which seems the fair way to do it. It's a first come, first full paid basis.

I'm not sure how Omega works but most limited edition watches are NOT sent out in any type of numeric order, it's all randomized. One batch may contain 556/6969 and another watch in the same batch may be 6895/6969. So I wouldn't put much stock in how the numbers are falling out to gauge delivery status of the edition.

I'm sure many people will argue and dispute this based on their own assumptions. Have at it.

May you live in interesting times ..............

14. snarkq Jul 7, 2019

As another data point, I am friendly with other customers at the local OB. Our watches have always arrived in numerical order, sometimes with months in-between. The time seems to strongly correlate with the assigned LE #. Take Ultraman, for example, which allowed you to reserve an LE. I reserved 001X, and was one of the first to get one. My friend who reserved 01XX before I did had to wait a bit longer. Saw same with ST1 and HODINKEE. Again, just a data point. Maybe your experience is different.

15. Bp1000 Jul 7, 2019

This hasn’t happened to me before.

I picked up my 60th anniversary speedmaster CK2915-1 a year after release and it was a low serial number watch. However 3500 were produced.

I also picked up the first / one of the first CK2998s in the uk last year and it was a watch with the number of just over 1000

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 7, 2019

When considering a potential 'mass delivery' scheme, please do not forget the shipments have to go through Customs in many countries. I doubt this is always a one-day deal. Also, in the US, won't the shipments go to a US distro center, and from there be sent to the individual OBs/ ADs? So a multi-step process with lots of potential for delays that will blow out the anniversary date.

17. rob#1 Jul 7, 2019

I’m guessing it’s the same process as the standard Speedy where the box and goodies gets shipped separately from the watch - so there may also be a few days between deliveries before each watch can be ‘put together’ ready for collection. Considering there are only a dozen or so days left before the anniversary it would be impressive if they are all delivered/collected by then. Whatever happens, congratulations to all those members that secured this LE :thumbsup:

Bp1000 likes this.
  18. Vale21 Jul 8, 2019

Great Watch! Nice détails. Maybe too much for a LE.

19. Bp1000 Jul 8, 2019

I thought that

If you look at the seamaster 1948 master chronometer it’s 5k which is decent value for the movement.

The extra 2 for a bracelet, gold touches, chronograph. It’s probably not far off.

A cool £85,000,000 in revenue once all are sold.

I wonder what their normal numbers are.

20. Evitzee Jul 8, 2019

A nice sum of money for sure but this edition is less than 1% of annual Omega production so not a huge revenue driver for Omega and Swatch Group. The value is in the advertising image for Omega.