Omega 3861 -- intermittent loud "tink" noise every 30 seconds

Unless it is so annoying that you can't enjoy the watch without being audibly distracted, or the performance goes out of spec, I wouldn't worry about it. You have the Omega warranty for a few more years and if it breaks down under warranty it will be repaired. Otherwise just wear it.

Like 3
Likely the bracelet end is a bit loose, causing a “click” as it contacts the case during handling.

Can you record the sound of your Speedy for a few seconds so members can hear what you're questioning? It might not help but it couldn't hurt.

To help you better.

Is it a Tick or a Tock

Two different issues, so I need to know which one.

Like 2
I'll record it and post later. To clarify, I don't think it is part of the the normal pallet fork escapement wheel tick tock. The intermittent anomaly is much louder. I haven't done any empirical testing. But the noise might be louder when the mainspring is fully wound. I didn't notice it this morning when the power reserve was low. I fully wound it and the noise presented itself shortly thereafter. Again, this doesn't prove the mainspring tension is the culprit, just an observation...

Likely the bracelet end is a bit loose, causing a “click” as it contacts the case during handling.

Incorrect. I can set the watch on my desk, completely stationary. I can hear the intermittent anomaly a foot away when I can't hear the tick tock from the that distance.

I'll record it and post later. To clarify, I don't think it is part of the the normal pallet fork escapement wheel tick tock. The intermittent anomaly is much louder. I haven't done any empirical testing. But the noise might be louder when the mainspring is fully wound. I didn't notice it this morning when the power reserve was low. I fully wound it and the noise presented itself shortly thereafter. Again, this doesn't prove the mainspring tension is the culprit, just an observation...

A very interesting observation.
I was wondering about that aspect as it seemed to be the only plausible avenue of exploration if the watch is otherwise functioning properly.

Perhaps it's the mainspring not unwinding smoothly? It seems as though it may be the only thing inside that would have enough force stored and suddenly released which could make such a loud sound of the type you describe:thumbsdown:
Maybe if you fully wind it then set it aside to monitor it until the watch winds down to a stop to see if there are any changes or variation?

Like 1
Here's a sample of the noise. Listen at the 3 second mark for a "tink." https://jmp.sh/s/K3coKbgwh4pA8Z9rl7Pm

The noise doesn't seem to occur at a set interval. The time interval between this noise and the prior noise was about 28 seconds...

This was recorded on an iPhone on top of the Speedy. It's not the best microphone, but it conveys the tink is significantly louder than the normal ticking...

I also called an Omega Boutique, asked for their technician and described the problem. He said they'd have to send it to the Omega service center in Seattle with a 5 month turn around time. I asked him if there were any known issues with the early production 3861 movements. He said "Not that I'm aware of."

I also called an Omega Boutique, asked for their technician and described the problem. He said they'd have to send it to the Omega service center in Seattle with a 5 month turn around time. I asked him if there were any known issues with the early production 3861 movements. He said "Not that I'm aware of."
Well, there has been a well documented issue with some early 3861 movements that he should have been aware of.

Like 2
I uploaded the mp3 recorded audio of the 3861 noise to a different free site: https://sndup.net/x965/

Does anyone know what the noise might be. It happens at approximately 3 seconds into the clip...

Longtime lurker here. I just became a member so I could chime in and say mine does the exact same thing.

When it's fully wound and I'm sitting at my desk I can hear it. It's two or three times a minute and sounds like a fingernail lightly tapping the crystal. I don't have any reason to suspect that it's a problem, but it's...different. You can really hear the movement through the plexi crystal anyway, so maybe something is just getting amplified? Why does it go away, or at least get too quiet to hear, as the power runs down? I have no idea.

Like 1
Longtime lurker here. I just became a member so I could chime in and say mine does the exact same thing.

When it's fully wound and I'm sitting at my desk I can hear it. It's two or three times a minute and sounds like a fingernail lightly tapping the crystal. I don't have any reason to suspect that it's a problem, but it's...different. You can really hear the movement through the plexi crystal anyway, so maybe something is just getting amplified? Why does it go away, or at least get too quiet to hear, as the power runs down? I have no idea.

When did you purchase yours? What serial range is it? Mine didn't do it when new. It is not normal behavior, and I believe it represents some type of issue.

July 2022 new from an AD. I've worn it almost every day with nothing wonky except for a noise we can't explain. Everything works great and it's running about +1. 5 - +2.5 SPD.

Regarding the noise: I don't remember hearing it when it was brand new either. It might be more accurate to describe it as clicking sound, maybe something like a loud date change.

I'm really interested to know what it is, but heck, as long as it's doing what it's supposed to I'm not going to stress too much. I've still got enough warranty to hold off surgery.

Like 1
July 2022 new from an AD. I've worn it almost every day with nothing wonky except for a noise we can't explain. Everything works great and it's running about +1. 5 - +2.5 SPD.

Regarding the noise: I don't remember hearing it when it was brand new either. It might be more accurate to describe it as clicking sound, maybe something like a loud date change.

I'm really interested to know what it is, but heck, as long as it's doing what it's supposed to I'm not going to stress too much. I've still got enough warranty to hold off surgery.

I first noticed it recently. I noticed the noise becoming more frequent today. And the 3861 now loses several seconds per day. I believe it no longer meets METAS specs. I wonder if it's related to the noise. I'm not looking forward to Omega having the watch for 6 months or longer to fix it. And the description of the noise sounding like a fingernail tapping on the hesalite crystal is apt...

I noticed something that might be related to the the problem. With the crown out in the setting position, if I twist the crown backwards fairly quickly, I hear a similar noise. I wonder if there is some kind of issue with the keyless works?

I followed this thread with some curiosity when it appeared a few weeks ago. This afternoon I decided to give my 3861 Hesalite Speedy (February, 2021) a full wind and listen to it next to my ear. Sure enough, intermittently a few times a minute there is an audibly louder click sound, just like previous posts describe. Huh, interesting. The watch still keeps great time and has been running for much of the past few years.

I followed this thread with some curiosity when it appeared a few weeks ago. This afternoon I decided to give my 3861 Hesalite Speedy (February, 2021) a full wind and listen to it next to my ear. Sure enough, intermittently a few times a minute there is an audibly louder click sound, just like previous posts describe. Huh, interesting. The watch still keeps great time and has been running for much of the past few years.

Mine is same age as yours. It didn't do it when new. Mine no longer meets METAS specs - it loses time. Not sure if that's related or not. Given that three people have noticed it on this forum already, it wouldn't surprise me if this is a wider issue affecting even more people with a 3861. The question is: what would cause the noise?