Forums Latest Members

Omega 300 Titanium "white residue"

1. shaiko May 30, 2020

Hello,

I own an Omega 300 in Titanium.
    I noticed some strange "white residue" on 2 of the case-back notches (photos attached).
    I tried to scratch it off using a wooden toothpick with no success ( didn't try anything harder ).

Does anyone know what this is ?

DSC_0040.jpg DSC_0041.JPG
  2. Socks May 31, 2020

Do you wear it left or right wrist? I'm guessing right if it's accumulating only in those 2 notches.

Thrasher36 and connieseamaster like this.
  3. shaiko May 31, 2020

Left.
    And it's not "accumulating" - they're there from day one. Bought it brand new.

4. Socks May 31, 2020

There goes my powers of deductive reasoning! I was assuming it's a result of perspiration residue/deposits, and it would be hung up there if you wore it on your right wrist. Oh well.

5. shaiko May 31, 2020

It's some kind of a hard substance.
    Washing it with soap didn't help, scrubbing with a wooden toothpick also didn't help.
    I think it's some kind of paint.

6. bruin20 Oct 17, 2020

Ever get this resolved? Would like to own a titanium piece but haven't ever found something to pull the trigger on.

7. shaiko Oct 17, 2020

No. It's still there. I think it's simply jewelers rouge that got hard.
    If you like this one - get it. It's truly beautiful.
    If you just want a Titanium Omega - make sure you get one that's made of grade 5 titanium (like this one). It's an alloy a bit harder than 316L stainless steel.
    Omega (as well as others) also make watches from Grade 2. This is pure Titanium...and it's as soft as 14K white gold. Which IMO isn't suitable for everyday wear (I like my watch to look minty...).

Either way, make sure you get it at a good price (sub 6500$)

8. Canuck Oct 17, 2020

Maybe ditch the microscope! :D

Thrasher36 and marco like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 18, 2020

I’ve had some watches come in with similar hard white stuff packed in places like this. Not sure what it is or how it got there, but I’ve been able to get it out using sharpened peg wood...

Thrasher36 and shaiko like this.