Forums Latest Members

Play on Seamaster 300 Titanium bezel

1. shaiko May 12, 2019

Hello,

I did some research before posting but wasn't able to find a definitive answer - so I decided to try here:
    I bought a brand new Seamaster 300 in Titanium from Chrono24.
    The watch looks great and overall the quality is high - but there's a thing I'm concerned about:

When I turn the bezel counterclockwise it clicks...but when I stop at a position I'm also able to turn it 1/2 a position without clicking (also counterclockwise). I.E: the bezel has +1/2 position (counterclockwise) / -0.0 (clockwise) rotational play.

I expected a much better bezel action from such an expensive watch...Is this normal ?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 12, 2019

Yes, your description of the action is normal. The bezel clicks on three metal tabs on a ring under the bezel. There are serrations on the underside of the bezel that these tabs click into. There is some movement required to get from one click to the next, so the serrations will ride up on the tabs before the tension increases and the tab clicks in place.

3. 77deluxe May 12, 2019

What kind of action were you expecting?

4. shaiko May 12, 2019

"What kind of action were you expecting?"
    I just handled a 6 year old TAG Heuer and compared it to my 3 day old Seamaster 300...the TAG has very little axial play - maybe a 1/20 position compared to 1/5 on mine. And the TAG costs x5 less...of course there will always be some clearance - otherwise it wouldn't work...But how much is too much ?

It feels cheap and really annoying.

5. shaiko May 12, 2019

6. Folgono May 12, 2019

I had a few Omega divers (including the same blue SM300 titanium) and the bezel action always seemed pretty "cheap". Compared to Tudor Black Bays it is pretty striking. Even on some micro brands like Baltic I experienced a better action.
    I'm sure Omega bezels are as reliable as others, however improving the feeling when turned would be a plus.

Manticore likes this.
  7. jsducote May 12, 2019

My Breitling Aerospace has a little play inn the bezel too. I figured it was normal.

8. shaiko Jun 11, 2019

It turns out that the bezel spring was defective.
    After a few days of shooting the above video I was able to rotate the bezel clockwise (not just play).
    I went to my Omega service center and they replaced it on the spot. It's super tight and clicky now.

Unfortunately, the watchmaker scratched the side of the case in the process - and didn't disclose it to me.
    Noticed the scratch after removing my watch a few hours later.

superfly likes this.
  9. gpssti4 Jun 12, 2019

Can the scratch be brushed/polished out? I’d ask your watchmaker to rectify it.

10. shaiko Jun 12, 2019

Can the scratch be brushed/polished out? I’d ask your watchmaker to rectify it.
    I shared the fact about the scratch because it REALLY annoyed me how sloppy (scratching the case) and unprofessional (not telling me about it) the guy that did the repair was.
    How can you trust a person like this with something that costs more than 20$ ? And that's the official service center!!

The scratch is quite shallow and I suppose it can be buffed away - but I'm trying not to succumb to the OCD driven urge to do so and learn to live with it.

11. Manticore Jun 12, 2019

I think (and could be wrong here) that the Omega system is technically more impressive and less prone to wear and tear. The Rolex system is super simple, but I'm with you when it comes to feel. The bezel on a Submariner is a thing of beauty.

12. Folgono Jun 12, 2019

I have never tried the bezel on a newer Sub, only on the 5 digit one, and it's not impressive. From all the bezel action I've tried, the Tudor BlackBay has definitely the most satisfying.